Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald?

Buckweath

Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald (this season)?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald (this season)?

• Aaron Donald
    • JJ Watt

34 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

One of the years Watt got hurt, the Texans still had a top 10 D in quite a few categories.

Simply answered, personnel - Watt was out, but that was the breakout year for Jadevion Clowney and Berdnardrick McKinney. Having two All Pro LBs can mitigate the loss of a guy like Watt. The Texans also had a HUGE year from AJ Bouye - and then subsequently let him walk. (Texans old FO wasn't exactly good...)

This being said, if you look beyond the rankings that year and look at things such as sacks, turnovers, defensive scores (the plays that take a good defense and turn them into "great" status) and you'll see the numbers we're drastically low. It's not too far to say that the lack of a DE who forced turnovers, tipped passes at a regular clip and would even have his own pick six/fumble six plays would have an impact on these numbers.

To the QB point - would you trade Watson for Goff? I'm thinking not

Nope, but I'd understand if someone did.

Cooks or Woods or Kupp for Hopkins?

For Hopkins? No. For Will Fuller? Yeah, maybe. For Demaryius Thomas? Yes absolutely. For Keke Coutee? Yes. For Vyncient Smith? Yes, goodness yes. For 3rd String QB/5th string WR Joe Webb? Where do I sign up?

Clowney for Fowler?

Nope. But I would hope for Ndamukong Suh over Christian Covington.

Matthieu for Joyner

Actually, yes. Tyrann Mathieu wasn't that good in Houston. A few flash plays, but nothing of consistency or substance.

Any CB on your team for Peters?

MY goodness, ALL of my CBs for Peters. You can take them ALL. Every single one... for one Jason Peters.

Please and thank you.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Rams roster is significantly better than the Texans - and I get that the OL was your undoing - but the Texans had serious talent last year and underachieved IMO. That more than anything summarizes how I feel about Watt.

exrrebmplvvgf8if7tkp.jpg

I'll just leave this right here.

Don't let the looks fool you. If Jeff Fisher shaved the 'stache and took a drill to his chin to create a dimple, this is what he'd look like.

32 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'll also take this opportunity to say that as I've read the arguments throughout today, I agree that Watt's prime is better than Donald right now. After thinking about it, you convinced me - but it's not out of the question that Donald passes him.

And I have no doubt that he can. Bill Parcells had something he called "The Planet Theory" which basically stated there are only so many people on the planet who have the size, speed, strength, football acumen and disposition to play DL at an elite level. Once in a generation, you'll find a guy like that, a guy who just acts like a wrecking ball.

This generation is lucky to have two - one in Houston and one in Los Angeles. Given the back issues, the sun might be setting for Watt, but it's rising for Donald. Not afraid to admit that at all. :)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I think there’s no answer for Donald.. Some games he’s quiet but that’s because he’s really seeing doubles and tripples.. At this point I am having fun watching this living legend. The one thing that hurts Donald is that he really hasn’t had that dude to run with him. The last good one he has was Quinn.. Really wish we could have traded for Yannick rather than Ramsey.. Just have someone else beat the 1 on 1s consistently... Donald gets better and better with age so who knows when he’ll slow down.. Just happy we drafted him. I’ve never seen anything like him. How he blows up the middle. Has the fastest sack this year.. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I think there’s no answer for Donald.. Some games he’s quiet but that’s because he’s really seeing doubles and tripples.. At this point I am having fun watching this living legend. The one thing that hurts Donald is that he really hasn’t had that dude to run with him. The last good one he has was Quinn.. Really wish we could have traded for Yannick rather than Ramsey.. Just have someone else beat the 1 on 1s consistently... Donald gets better and better with age so who knows when he’ll slow down.. Just happy we drafted him. I’ve never seen anything like him. How he blows up the middle. Has the fastest sack this year.. 

We had that dude in Suh last season. Didn’t show in the regular but playoff Suh was a monster. I think if Lewis can stay healthy or even Obo either one if not both can really thrive playing with Donald especially Lewis imo. 

18 hours ago, El Ramster said:

The one thing that hurts Donald is that he really hasn’t had that dude to run with him

Did Prime Watt have anyone? Whitney Mercilius isn't exactly a reliable presence. Antonio Smith was underrated, but was more of a grinder/brawler down in the trenches. Conner Barwin had that one year when he sacked Blaine Gabbert 12 times? Then he left? Cushing was a run defender and cover guy, and was either injured or suspended for a good portion of it. Jadevion Clowney was injured a lot, was only healthy after Watt's back injuries started to pile up...

Who did Prime Watt have?

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Did Prime Watt have anyone? Whitney Mercilius isn't exactly a reliable presence. Antonio Smith was underrated, but was more of a grinder/brawler down in the trenches. Conner Barwin had that one year when he sacked Blaine Gabbert 12 times? Then he left? Cushing was a run defender and cover guy, and was either injured or suspended for a good portion of it. Jadevion Clowney was injured a lot, was only healthy after Watt's back injuries started to pile up...

Who did Prime Watt have?

Oh you know, global mega stars Brooks Reed and Jared Crick

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Oh you know, global mega stars Brooks Reed and Jared Crick

True story - going into their 2nd year, I thought Reed was going to be the better player. He had an explosive playoff run that's really forgotten, he racked up 5.5 sacks in two games vs Cincinnati and Baltimore (three sacks vs the Ravens, no less).

Brooks Reed made Mario Williams expendable that year.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Who did Prime Watt have?

I wasn’t actually comparing them or their cast lol. Was more saying how cool would it be if Donald had another guy. Would make things so much easier. Dude is the goat at beating the double/Tripple. I would want the rams to get a guy for him before we get diminishing returns. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

I wasn’t actually comparing them or their cast lol. Was more saying how cool would it be if Donald had another guy. Would make things so much easier. Dude is the goat at beating the double/Tripple. I would want the rams to get a guy for him before we get diminishing returns. 

Aha, got it.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

True story - going into their 2nd year, I thought Reed was going to be the better player. He had an explosive playoff run that's really forgotten, he racked up 5.5 sacks in two games vs Cincinnati and Baltimore (three sacks vs the Ravens, no less).

Brooks Reed made Mario Williams expendable that year.

Yeah I didn't mind Reed to be fair. Thought he was going to accelerate after that.

• 8 months later...

yeah.. these players both locked up 1st ballot HoF status well before the age of 30

I'm giving the edge to Aaron Donald simply because they are slightly different positions, and the gap of Donald over the next best guy is a bigger gap than Watt over the next best option

But if you're choosing defensive players of the 2010s they are the easy top 2 choices, and I'd easily accept either order