Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald?

Buckweath

Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald (this season)?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Prime JJ Watt or Aaron Donald (this season)?

• Aaron Donald
    • JJ Watt

Just now, jrry32 said:

No, it's not. It's quite clear what it is. NT could be 0/1-Tech. RDT or LDT could be 3/2/1-Tech. LDE or RDE could be 4/5-Tech.

Source? I've never heard the term LDT or RDT outside of 4-3 designations.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Source? I've never heard the term LDT or RDT outside of 4-3 designations.

Yet, they are on the chart. It is based on where he lined up on the field. They have RDE, LDE, RDT, LDT, NT, ROLB, and LOLB.

(Plus, the 3-4 and 4-3 look quite similar in terms of where players align when in sub-packages like the 2-4-5 and 2-3-6)

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yet, they are on the chart. It is based on where he lined up on the field. They have RDE, LDE, RDT, LDT, NT, ROLB, and LOLB.

I've been watching this sport for over three decades. This is the first time (literally the FIRST time) I've heard someone reference the two non NT DLs in a 3-4 as a LDT or RDT. 

You're on an island on this one. 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

(Plus, the 3-4 and 4-3 look quite similar in terms of where players align when in sub-packages like the 2-4-5 and 2-3-6)

I get that - and if you've watched the Texans over the years, you'll see that Watt is usually flanked by an OLB (Whitney Mercilius most of the time, but also Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed or John Simon over the years). 

Point is, he's not going against the edge like a 4-3 DE. 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've been watching this sport for over three decades. This is the first time (literally the FIRST time) I've heard someone reference the two non NT DLs in a 3-4 as a LDT or RDT. 

You're on an island on this one. 

It's in the chart. Watt literally only played in a 3-4 from 2011 to 2014. Use your common sense.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

It's in the chart. Watt literally only played in a 3-4 from 2011 to 2014. Use your common sense.

What chart are you talking about? Did I miss a link outside of the Tania Ganguli blog post?

The Donald 70% double team figure is according to NFL's nextgen stats, it was on their MNF broadcast a few weeks ago IIRC. I saw someone ask earlier ITT. Who knows how they qualified being doubled, likely just touched by 2 offensive linemen? If Donald was truly being doubled that many snaps, which for a 3 tech I would consider to pretty much means the OG AND C helping out or leaving the RB in pass pro (I know he doesn't exclusively line up there), then I really don't think he'd be producing like this. He's a freak, best interior rusher I've ever seen, and yes we've seen him split double teams at the snap, but 16.5 sacks getting truly doubled 70% of the time? I don't buy it.

Regardless, wouldn't put much weight into who is doubled more/less between the two, a 3 tech and 5 tech get doubled in very different manners. They both are without a doubt the #1 priority in pass protection and will win more often than not if left on an island.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The Donald 70% double team figure is according to NFL's nextgen stats, it was on their MNF broadcast a few weeks ago IIRC. I saw someone ask earlier ITT. Who knows how they qualified being doubled, likely just touched by 2 offensive linemen? If Donald was truly being doubled that many snaps, which for a 3 tech I would consider to pretty much means the OG AND C helping out or leaving the RB in pass pro (I know he doesn't exclusively line up there), then I really don't think he'd be producing like this. He's a freak, best interior rusher I've ever seen, and yes we've seen him split double teams at the snap, but 16.5 sacks getting truly doubled 70% of the time? I don't buy it.

Regardless, wouldn't put much weight into who is doubled more/less between the two, a 3 tech and 5 tech get doubled in very different manners. They both are without a doubt the #1 priority in pass protection and will win more often than not if left on an island.

It lines up with the eye test. Yes, he's that good.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This is what people fail to realize about that double team stats. Even if Donald is engaged by only 1 lineman, another could just reach out their arm, shove him once and that would technically be a double team. The interior positions in general are almost always double team if even for a split second because they are the closest defender to the QB so the double team blocks are designed to simply slow down the defenders initial push to give the QB a little bit of leeway to get rid of the ball faster if need be. 

On 12/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, Calvert28 said:

Watt was robbed in his peak with injury. No we never saw it

Part of being an all-time great is being able to avoid injuries.  I'm not saying Watt isn't all-time, but if you're saying nobody saw his peak because of injuries... well, that's too bad.

• Like 1