Kareem Hunt clears waivers, is officially a Free Agent

TheKillerNacho

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000995731/article/kareem-hunt-clears-waivers-becomes-a-free-agent

The other two Kareem Hunt threads are locked for a reason. Do not make me regret opening this, please. Stick to football or don't post.

Will Kareem Hunt be signed? If so, when? What will the length of suspension be? Who are his best suitors? What kind of contract do you expect him to be signed to?

Personally I'm surprised someone didn't take a flyer on picking up his rookie deal, being how cheap it is. He'll probably have quite a market for his services this offseason once the punishment is known. Could definitely see a team offer him a two-year deal worth a decent chunk of change (not a lot guarenteed, though).

11 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

He'll sign somewhere in the offseason (bears and eagles make a ton of sense) for about $1M per.  3 year deal, no guarantees. 

If I'm hunt or his people, no way am I doing a 3 year deal. 1 year deal or 2 years. He's getting lowballed on that first contract given that he's going to be suspended for 6 games. 2 years gets him to UFA status after 2020, 1 year deal at least requires him to get a bump in pay as a RFA with a likely tender / possible offer sheet. 

What?!?

I thought for SURE he’d be picked up. Kinda mad the Saints didn’t put a claim in. I almost made a joke how it would be funny if we somehow got him on the waivers some now cause everybody else was scared to snag him. Never thought it was actually a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

If I'm hunt or his people, no way am I doing a 3 year deal. 1 year deal or 2 years. He's getting lowballed on that first contract given that he's going to be suspended for 6 games. 2 years gets him to UFA status after 2020, 1 year deal at least requires him to get a bump in pay as a RFA with a likely tender / possible offer sheet. 

If it's more than 6 games, he wont get vested status with a 2 year deal.  He'd be looking at erfa status.  Hes going to have to sign a very team friendly deal bc teams are going to view it as a risk.  His best hope is going to be incentives with a club that fits him.  Also, dont completely rule out the possibility of him resigning with the chiefs as well.  Andy has always been known as a guy who will give 2nd chances.  If he feels enough pentence has been paid, he may decide to do that for Hunt.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

If it's more than 6 games, he wont get vested status with a 2 year deal.  He'd be looking at erfa status.  Hes going to have to sign a very team friendly deal bc teams are going to view it as a risk.  His best hope is going to be incentives with a club that fits him.  Also, dont completely rule out the possibility of him resigning with the chiefs as well.  Andy has always been known as a guy who will give 2nd chances.  If he feels enough pentence has been paid, he may decide to do that for Hunt.

But he should know what the punishment is prior to signing anywhere. He's already accrued 2 seasons as this season will count based on games played. If he's suspended more than 6, sure, 3 year deal could be on the table (though I'd push for only 2 year deal as is, because at least then in 2021 he'd be an RFA w/three seasons and requiring some sort of tender unless they are giving him 3 million or more on the back end of that deal). 

Once the possibility of reopening the case was mentioned, no one was going to sign him. It was pretty obvious to me. 

Until the situation is clarified, no team will touch him. 

The bit that makes me wonder is, if he had been straight forward with the whole situation since the beginning, would the Chiefs keep him around. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

But he should know what the punishment is prior to signing anywhere. He's already accrued 2 seasons as this season will count based on games played. If he's suspended more than 6, sure, 3 year deal could be on the table (though I'd push for only 2 year deal as is, because at least then in 2021 he'd be an RFA w/three seasons and requiring some sort of tender unless they are giving him 3 million or more on the back end of that deal). 

Hed be an erfa, not an rfa bc he didnt complete his rookie deal.  His tender would be next to nothing.

7 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Hed be an erfa, not an rfa bc he didnt complete his rookie deal.  His tender would be next to nothing.

Pretty sure that's based solely on accrued seasons. ERFA are for less than 2 years of service time. Over 2 but less than 4 is RFA. 4 or more UFA. 

He has 2 accrued seasons right now as this year counts (minimum requirement is 6 games). He only has to spend 6 games on the roster next year to get an accrued season as well which would put him at 3, so long as he's not suspended 11 games, he should be fine in that regard. So 2020 would be an RFA season if he signed a one year deal and was on the roster for 6 games with 2021 as UFA season. 

But if he signs a one year deal, even as an RFA he's open to a possible big contract depending on tenders, etc

Archived