Kareem Hunt clears waivers, is officially a Free Agent

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Kind of ridiculous that he is essentially suspended for the rest of the season (5 games counting the one he already missed) and then will get an additional 6 games next year. 

Yeah, I don’t like that. Call it like it is.

When convicts are awaiting sentencing from a jail cell do they not deduct their accrued time in prison during the trial from the sentence length?

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

When convicts are awaiting sentencing from a jail cell do they not deduct their accrued time in prison during the trial from the sentence length?

The crappy thing for Hunt is that the Chiefs released them. I believe that typically when on the exempt list, they still receive their paychecks each week, but given that Hunt was cut, he's not going to get that while on the exempt list. 

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Tbh players on the commish exclusion list should get credit for time they accrue on that list. If they're on it for 3 weeks and then it is determined they get a 4 game suspension, they should only serve one additional game.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Tbh players on the commish exclusion list should get credit for time they accrue on that list. If they're on it for 3 weeks and then it is determined they get a 4 game suspension, they should only serve one additional game.

Right? Is there even a set time period in which the NFL has to come to a decision on the suspension length? Or is it just arbitrarily “when the investigation has concluded”?

3 hours ago, Forge said:

The crappy thing for Hunt is that the Chiefs released them. I believe that typically when on the exempt list, they still receive their paychecks each week, but given that Hunt was cut, he's not going to get that while on the exempt list. 

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Yeah, it's a double jeopardy situation - but this isn't the law, it's the NFL CBA, so it gets to stick (SMH).   In theory the NFLPA should fight this tooth and nail, but they've got so many other priorities, this won't be high on their list, given the bad PR optics.  But it's just bad practice to be able to be dinged 2x for the same act...but the NFLPA is just inept as a player's union altogether.  So this is par for the course.

The "only" solace for K-Hunt is this year will still toll his service time forward so he's got 2 years under his belt  But to qualify for pension & medical, he's got to get 4 years.  And he'll need to play at least 6 games (or be on the 53-man roster for 6+ games) next year for the service time to toll forward.  It's very possible if he ever got more than 10 games (I'm talking theoretical) - that a team would sign him for a prorated min. wage contract, and then get him for his ERFA and RFA years in 2020-2021.   

Remember, service time counts - so there is actually very little way that K-Hunt will suddenly benefit financially - the only way it happens is if he's suspended less than 10+ games (seems possible), AND a team offers him a multi-year deal that's higher than the RFA tender year 3 1st/2nd round (not as likely).   More than likely, he'll get a 1-year prove-it deal that might break even (it would have to be 2x as much as reg. 3rd year ERFA salary to make up for the lost games), and then get a 1st/2nd round tender, which he'd have received anyways.   At best, K-Hunt can hope to break even - but given how radioactive he is right now, there's no jackpot that's coming sooner, because service time matters (as I mentioned in the other thread, the only reason why we never see this is because pretty much any valuable UFA already has 4+ years of service time in the books - which @Forge knows, since I was posting to him earlier, but bears repeating in this thread).

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, it's a double jeopardy situation - but this isn't the law, it's the NFL CBA, so it gets to stick (SMH).   In theory the NFLPA should fight this tooth and nail, but they've got so many other priorities, this won't be high on their list, given the bad PR optics.  But it's just bad practice to be able to be dinged 2x for the same act...but the NFLPA is just inept as a player's union altogether.  So this is par for the course.

The "only" solace for K-Hunt is this year will still toll his service time forward so he's got 2 years under his belt  But to qualify for pension & medical, he's got to get 4 years.  And he'll need to play at least 6 games (or be on the 53-man roster for 6+ games) next year for the service time to toll forward.  It's very possible if he ever got more than 10 games (I'm talking theoretical) - that a team would sign him for a prorated min. wage contract, and then get him for his ERFA and RFA years in 2020-2021.   

Remember, service time counts - so there is actually very little way that K-Hunt will suddenly benefit financially - the only way it happens is if he's suspended less than 10+ games (seems possible), AND a team offers him a multi-year deal that's higher than the RFA tender year 3 1st/2nd round (not as likely).   More than likely, he'll get a 1-year prove-it deal that might break even (it would have to be 2x as much as reg. 3rd year ERFA salary to make up for the lost games), and then get a 1st/2nd round tender, which he'd have received anyways.   At best, K-Hunt can hope to break even - but given how radioactive he is right now, there's no jackpot that's coming sooner, because service time matters (as I mentioned in the other thread, the only reason why we never see this is because pretty much any valuable UFA already has 4+ years of service time in the books - which @Forge knows, since I was posting to him earlier, but bears repeating in this thread).

Eh. I feel like some team will offer him enough money still at some point in the offseason that he'll probably come out ahead financially. His entire rookie contract was only going to come in at $3.2M, and he already made about half of that between the signing bonus and a year and a half worth of salary. He won't get a payday, for sure, but there will be enough suitors once the store settles down and the punishment is known that someone will throw $1.5M per year at him or something.

I would sign him in a heartbeat (pending interview). I don't think his situation compares to any of the others that are commonly being brought up. Kareem Hunt is a great player that would help 100% of teams out there, including the Chiefs. He's young and has the opportunity to learn from a situation that could have gone much worse in so many ways. I'd jump at the chance to give him that opportunity. He's a special player, and as long as he interviewed in a manner he has clearly showed that he's capable of I would see no problem. Put him in counseling, get him to stop having hotel parties etc and keep things close and ride.

It baffles me that the league is so soft on domestic violence and other such crimes, but this is clearly not the case they should build precedent off of.

I don't think Detroit will do it for a variety of reasons. I don't think he'd want to come to Detroit anyway. I like the idea that KC brings him back after he puts in enough work, actually. Maybe I'm just sentimental like that.

Jets should be all for this. WE need players that can make a difference more so than any team in the NFL. At this point he's worth the risk. If we doesn't clean up his act, cut him after his suspension is over. If we don't get him. We will probably over pay for Bell (which I'm ok with bc we need offense so bad).

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jets should be all for this. WE need players that can make a difference more so than any team in the NFL. At this point he's worth the risk. If we doesn't clean up his act, cut him after his suspension is over. If we don't get him. We will probably over pay for Bell (which I'm ok with bc we need offense so bad).

NY media will kill the team for it 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I really don't see the risk involved in signing a great running back to a cheap 1-year prove it deal. It's cut and dry. Nothing about Kareem Hunt's track record indicates he's a repeat offender (unless I'm missing something). 

Young kids are immature - they make mistakes. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt before painting him as low-life scum given the circumstances of this whole incident.

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Schefters reporting he was involved in a nightclub incident. He might be getting towards that too toxic level right now 

all this is becoming a big deal now because a video of one incident came out. Like he did to the woman, other people and the media like to kick him now that he is down.

This isn't coincidence that this is coming out now 3 days after he was released and the video came out. 

He'll get signed some time during the offseason when his suspension is clear and the investigation is over to a cheap 1 year 1-2M deal imo. 

3 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

all this is becoming a big deal now because a video of one incident came out. Like he did to the woman, other people and the media like to kick him now that he is down.

This isn't coincidence that this is coming out now 3 days after he was released and the video came out. 

He'll get signed some time during the offseason when his suspension is clear and the investigation is over to a cheap 1 year 1-2M deal imo. 

We’ll see. It all depends on the outage going forward. Kaep got blackballed. It all depends on the fallout 

Just now, lancerman said:

We’ll see. It all depends on the outage going forward. Kaep got blackballed. It all depends on the fallout 

I agree but I don't see this similar to Kap. Kap was a future backup QB that created drama with his kneeling all over the league and country. Hunt situation is more personal and he is relatively a much better player. I think it's just important that he needs to receive a final suspension and the investigation to be completed before he gets signed. Also probably do some community work during the offseason but that all should happen.

6 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

He's young and has the opportunity to learn from a situation that could have gone much worse in so many ways.

mmmm Maybe, but it's coming out the past day or two that this isn't the first or even second accusation of bad behavior. My assumption of innocence and "he a good boy who just needs a second chance" is waning quickly.

Archived