Chargers release Joe Barksdale

Xenos

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

Geez, wow. Yeah, hope he gets the help he needs. Depression is no joke.

Hmmmm........ not my payroll, of course, but I can't imagine that losing his job a year after he entertained suicide thoughts upon being benched is exactly the best possible therapy for depression. I wonder if it wouldn't have been more compassionate to IR the guy, or something. One has to hope this story doesn't have a tragic ending.

"In November, Barksdale learned that he would miss a third straight game after injuring his foot. Overcome with sadness, he told the newspaper that he went home and sharpened a knife before his wife, Brionna, persuaded him to put it down. They proceeded to talk until he was calm.

Barksdale, 29, said he was physically, emotionally and sexually abused as a child -- "I was molested when I was younger. It happened," he told the L.A. Times -- which contributed to his feelings of insecurity and anxiety while growing up in inner-city Detroit, where he was bullied by older kids.

Barksdale now takes medication and is in therapy. Four years ago, he learned to play the guitar after a suggestion from former coach Jeff Fisher. He recently released his debut album, "Butterflies, Rainbows & Moonbeams."

17 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

If he didn't ask for this, it's a ****ty move by us. 

Based on all the info out there, it looks like it was a mutual beneficial agreement that the best for both parties. The Chargers get a roster spot back while Barksdale can concentrate on getting himself better instead of on football.

Maybe he can find peach by spending time more on his music now.

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe getting this guy help, rather than cutting him was the better play....

What would be the best course then? They need the roster spot if he can't play. And they can't put him on IR since he's not really "injured" in that sense, and it would be pointless since he already collected his 2018 salary.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

What would be the best course then? They need the roster spot if he can't play. And they can't put him on IR since he's not really "injured" in that sense, and it would be pointless since he already collected his 2018 salary.

I understand what you’re saying but sometimes it’s just more important than winning football games not to mention that one roster spot isn’t really going to amount to much at this point of the season. 

Archived