We need another CB!

DR43

Ross Cockrell has been disappointing thus far in the preseason.  I know it is still very early but Cockrell might have just had a career year last season.  He has failed significantly when he went up against Antonio and he failed again today.  Not only did he get burned multiple times but he should have let up a touchdown that was dropped. 

How can it be conceivable to defeat a team like New England when we Cockrell cannot stay with his man seconds after the ball is snapped?  That's the type of DB Brady picks apart.

I know it is very unlikely but is there anyone out there that the Steelers could trade for that has the ability to be a credible #2?  I know that Trumaine Johnson was once thought as an option but it is understood from the local reporters this trade is doubtful. 

I know that a much likely scenario would be to sign a roster cut but there is a reason these guys are getting cut in the first place. 

Are there anyone at all that is a possibility?

Short of trading for a bigger name, I doubt there is anyone we can or will bring in that will make a notable difference.

Im not big on throwing tons of money around in free agency, but I really wanted the Steelers to splurge on one of the top corners.    We passed on that opportunity, and we didnt really get anything in the draft, so this is what happens.    One quality starting corner next to Burns couldve made all the difference....and if there was any time to splurge, it was this past offseason when its clear Ben will only be around a few more years, if that.     

However, to the point you made about New England and Brady....even if we went out and somehow got Richard Sherman and Stephon Gilmore, they wouldnt make a huge difference against New England unless we completely changed our defensive philosophies against them.    I dont care who we have at corner....as long as we play uber-conservative soft zone against them, Brady will tear us apart every time.    

They want to play more press man.  Butler has said as much in recent articles.  They do not have the people to do it.  Cockrell and Gay are pure zone CB.  The Steelers have many slot CBs.  Sutton, Hilton, Golson and Dixon. Allen is a rookie and can not be trusted at this point on the outside. Sensabaugh is the only chance at outside but I doubt he is a press man any better than Cockrell.

10 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

They'll have to pay him $6 million for 1 year.

I'll pay that no problem. I'd rather overpay than watch Cockrell any longer. Sidenote, I too hope we extend Tuitt soon there after signing Revis ;)

Archived