We need another CB!

DR43

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/lucas-crowley?id=2558050

"

Overview

Crowley was one of the top five high school center recruits in the country in 2012, and played for a coach in Ponte Vedra who knows about high-level offensive play in former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews. Crowley actually started one game as a true freshman against Pittsburgh, taking on an All-American and future NFL All-Pro in Aaron Donald. He's been in the middle for the Tar Heels as the leader of the offensive line ever since, only missing one game with a sprained ankle in 2014. Crowley was a third-team All-ACC pick in 2015 and a second-team selection as a senior.

Undersized center-only prospect who does admirable work when uncovered and working on angles. Crowley has adequate hand strength for sustained block engagement, good body control and plays a technical game; however, his lack of size and length could make him a priority free agent."

6'3, 269 pounds. Sounds like he's about Kory L's size. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/lucas-crowley?id=2558050

"

Overview

Crowley was one of the top five high school center recruits in the country in 2012, and played for a coach in Ponte Vedra who knows about high-level offensive play in former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews. Crowley actually started one game as a true freshman against Pittsburgh, taking on an All-American and future NFL All-Pro in Aaron Donald. He's been in the middle for the Tar Heels as the leader of the offensive line ever since, only missing one game with a sprained ankle in 2014. Crowley was a third-team All-ACC pick in 2015 and a second-team selection as a senior.

Undersized center-only prospect who does admirable work when uncovered and working on angles. Crowley has adequate hand strength for sustained block engagement, good body control and plays a technical game; however, his lack of size and length could make him a priority free agent."

6'3, 269 pounds. Sounds like he's about Kory L's size. 

Wasnt going to make the roster.   The guy they traded for wont either.     No real story here.

52 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Wasnt going to make the roster.   The guy they traded for wont either.     No real story here.

Yeah, same with the Redskins & Phillips. I'm not up on the Steelers corner depth, I know Goldon got hurt again but is there another reason corner is such a huge need?

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, same with the Redskins & Phillips. I'm not up on the Steelers corner depth, I know Goldon got hurt again but is there another reason corner is such a huge need?

Because our CBs outside of Burns are mediocre.    Even if Golson was 100% healthy, he has proven nothing.    We needed a CB this offseason and for some reason, made no real attempt at getting one aside from overdrafting a nickle corner with limited upside.     

No idea how this team continues to be so horrible with talent management in the secondary....year after year after year.    

I don't wanna read to much into such a minor move but....it looks like Phillips is strictly a Slot guy. With Sensabaugh running with the starters maybe it signals Gay isn't providing much competition for Sense and Gay is on his way out? I'm not suggesting Phillips makes the squad but with Golson and Sutton being out extensively and Gay being Gay perhaps the FO felt Sense needed to not feel so comfortable? IDK, I just try and figure out what the team is thinking but more times than not it's an exercise in futility.

14 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I don't wanna read to much into such a minor move but....it looks like Phillips is strictly a Slot guy. With Sensabaugh running with the starters maybe it signals Gay isn't providing much competition for Sense and Gay is on his way out? I'm not suggesting Phillips makes the squad but with Golson and Sutton being out extensively and Gay being Gay perhaps the FO felt Sense needed to not feel so comfortable? IDK, I just try and figure out what the team is thinking but more times than not it's an exercise in futility.

I think that it's just a response to the Golson/Sutton situations and making sure we have the depth needed.  I can see at least one of those guys going on PUP and Phillips gonna be cut when they come off.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think that it's just a response to the Golson/Sutton situations and making sure we have the depth needed.  I can see at least one of those guys going on PUP and Phillips gonna be cut when they come off.

So no reflection on Gay IYO?

NO you don't!!! You need Le'Veon Bell to get his head out of the drugs and get on the field. You know that him reuinting with Lagarrett Blount (Philly) is the worst possible thing that can happen to this young man. Also, Steelers are el stupido for letting Markus Wheaton go to Chicago... he will tear them up in week 3!!! 

I have this strange, optimistic feeling that Sutton is going to be really good. I know a lot of people were down on the pick around here, but every Vols fan I've ever heard from raves about him. I think he comes on by week 6 and will be our second best db by next year. 

I am kind of worried about our safeties. I think Davis will most likely be nothing more than a solid starter. Everyone else on the roster is either average or below average.

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I have this strange, optimistic feeling that Sutton is going to be really good. I know a lot of people were down on the pick around here, but every Vols fan I've ever heard from raves about him. I think he comes on by week 6 and will be our second best db by next year. 

I am kind of worried about our safeties. I think Davis will most likely be nothing more than a solid starter. Everyone else on the roster is either average or below average.

I hope you're right about Sutton.  I've also had a good feeling about him since I've looked into him after the draft.  Wouldn't be surprised if he does get up to speed by mid-season and contributes something positive.  I think he fits the bill as a possible Cockrell replacement maybe as early as late season or next year.  I don't think Cockrell is as horrible as everyone with the torches and pitchforks are saying but with what the Steelers are trying to do defensively, he's going to be less and less effective imo.  Sensabaugh is a decent player but I don't think he's a long-term answer there.  I am still praying for the light to come on for Brian Allen.  Don't want him exposed to the waiver wire.   

Some talk about Davis like he''s the second coming.  I like him.  Think he can be a very good player but I need to see more.  After getting moved around from the slot last year, I thought he settled in well at safety.  I like his demeanor.  I'd like to see him take another big step forward this year - wouldn't surprise me at all.  In a very limited sample, I like what I'm seeing from Dangerfield in terms of his development.  He's always been physical but now it seems like he's in the right place at the right time more often than years' past.  If the rest of the secondary is doing their jobs well, I think Mitchell will show better.  (like in Carolina)  

On 8/24/2017 at 5:31 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Because our CBs outside of Burns are mediocre.    Even if Golson was 100% healthy, he has proven nothing.    We needed a CB this offseason and for some reason, made no real attempt at getting one aside from overdrafting a nickle corner with limited upside.     

No idea how this team continues to be so horrible with talent management in the secondary....year after year after year.    

the buck stops somewhere.

On 2017-08-21 at 7:43 AM, stillersenat said:

And that ladies and gentlemen, is the bottom line...

yeah, might as well wait until next year, maybe:S This is the area the team needed to address and it appears they didn't. nice job FO

Archived