We need another CB!

DR43

23 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

He still has to be "stashed" on another team's 53 man roster. I just don't see it happening at the expense of much needed depth unless he is doing VERY well on special teams and is taking a LOT of work there. The Steelers just can't keep someone on the roster just on potential alone. We need too much depth at DB to be doing that.

That happens all the time with most draft choices. The vast majority are not ready for prime time yet. Yes, they eat up a roster spot for a year or two. Allen just isn't the run in the mill 5th round CB in my humble opinion. He is 6'3 200 lbs, explosive and fast. You can't teach that, but he can learn technique and positioning. If he can put it all together, we may have another big CB in the Ike Taylor mold, but hopefully with better hands. It is going to take a few years though.

18 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That happens all the time with most draft choices. The vast majority are not ready for prime time yet. Yes, they eat up a roster spot for a year or two. Allen just isn't the run in the mill 5th round CB in my humble opinion. He is 6'3 200 lbs, explosive and fast. You can't teach that, but he can learn technique and positioning. If he can put it all together, we may have another big CB in the Ike Taylor mold, but hopefully with better hands. It is going to take a few years though.

That's exactly the type of guy you put on a practice squad though.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

That's exactly the type of guy you put on a practice squad though.

Putting him on the practice squad doesn't assure that you get to keep and develop him.  We have had players in the past snatched off the practice squad. i get that you want players who can contribute NOW!!! But you don't see high draft choice QB's put there as they develop for this very reason.  OLB's Travis Freeney and Howard Jones both got snatched off our our practice squad from other teams. You can do it, but you risk someone taking them and stashing them on their roster.

Allen has stud written all over him. His success is going to depend on the head up. I've seen nothing to suggest he doesn't have the smarts to get on the field. It's just gonna take a season before he can contribute. I can think of several guys I'd cut before him. You can't risk putting him on the PS imo.

6 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Agree to disagree then I guess guys. I just feel like, especially now, people on the roster have to be contributing. If you think he can do that this year, then great. Otherwise, you have to go with the guys that can help you now.

Like Dobbs?

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Like Dobbs?

QB is different (you know that, just like you don't draft a 1st rounder at any other position with the intent of them not contributing early), but I may actually be more comfortable with him than Jones within the year.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

QB is different (you know that, just like you don't draft a 1st rounder at any other position with the intent of them not contributing early), but I may actually be more comfortable with him than Jones within the year.

Just being a smartazz, BUT the sentiment is the same. You don't put Dobbs on the PS for the same reason you don't put Allen. You'll lose them both.

21 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

He was playing WR just 2 or 3 years ago, so I'm pretty sure it's a given he has much better hands than Ike.  

He's not nearly as fast, but a whole lot bigger.  6'3" 215, 4.43 speed and a great 6.64 3-cone, 38" vert and 10'7" broad, vs 6' 202 and it is said he ran a 4.18 hand timed 40, so you may as well bump that up to a 4.28 IMO.  So I wouldn't say they're in the same mold by any means, but hopefully we get a diamond in the rough there regardless.  

25 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

He was playing WR just 2 or 3 years ago, so I'm pretty sure it's a given he has much better hands than Ike.  

He's not nearly as fast, but a whole lot bigger.  6'3" 215, 4.43 speed and a great 6.64 3-cone, 38" vert and 10'7" broad, vs 6' 202 and it is said he ran a 4.18 hand timed 40, so you may as well bump that up to a 4.28 IMO.  So I wouldn't say they're in the same mold by any means, but hopefully we get a diamond in the rough there regardless.  

Allen has some pretty impressive measurables.  If he really ran something close to that, you've got to give him every opportunity to make good on that potential.   Exposing him to the PS would not turn out well for us imo.  Maybe not right away but he wouldn't last the whole season without getting poached.   I'd be very curious to see the coaches' evaluations of him after the preseason.  I guess we will find out soon...

23 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was just thinking about something. 

I wish we could have drafted Cortez Allen a year or two later. He seems like he would fit in very well with what we're doing now. Also, the team of Allen and Allen could be our law firm of lanky outside corners.

There's a law firm in my area: Allen, Allen, Allen, & Allen. 

Off topic but very funny with what you wrote there. 

Archived