Colt McCoy out with fractured fibula; may or may not go on IR

naptownskinsfan

Cutting Brown as a regular cut would free up $5.75M in cap space in 2019.
Cutting Brown as a June cut would free up $7.25M in cap space in 2019 and incur $1.5M dead cap hit in 2020.

However, $4.5M of Brown's 2019 salary guarantees in March. So, there's a go/no-go window there.

The thing we need to keep in mind about the ILB position is that Reuben Foster’s eligibility is a big question mark, but he’ll almost certainly start for us the second he’s reinstated. When healthy, I think he’s better than either one of them — probably by a pretty wide margin.

But he’s also probably not your “QB of the defense,” and I don’t think Zach Brown really is either. That’s the benefit you get from Mason Foster, he’s definitely the more cerebral player of the three. He just isn’t athletic and rangy enough to play in today’s spread out NFL. 

Which is what keeps bringing me back to the ILB position in the draft. One of the Devins in the top 10-15 area, Mack Wilson, etc. I really think we need to make that position a focal point if the defense is going to the next level — you can see where the top 3-4 defenses have made big investments in recent years, whether it’s Chicago (Roquan) or Baltimore (Mosley) or Dallas (Jaylon/LVE). 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

But he’s also probably not your “QB of the defense,”

Given that the 49ers took that responsibility away from Foster and gave it to a 3rd round rookie this past season (Fred Warner), this is probably a given.

22 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yep, that’s where I’m at. If you can get Greedy Williams and then trade up from the second round for Mack Wilson. Look, I get people hate what they did in picking up Foster but if for some reason they can get that dummy to turn his life around they just picked up a heat-seeking missile at ILB. Adding Williams, Foster and Wilson and possibly Shane Ray via Free Agency would do wonders for this defense. I’m also assuming Manusky is gone. 

Unless Gruden is gone, Manusky won't be.  It's the same situation that led to Manusky being hired in the first place- the top coordinators passed over our job because the coach was on the hot seat, and no one wanted to be looking for another job in a year.  

Also, ever since the story of Gruden got out where he "embarrassed" Wade Phillips in the video room, we don't have a chance at hiring a top shelf DC, even if Gruden isn't on the hot seat.

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Unless Gruden is gone, Manusky won't be.  It's the same situation that led to Manusky being hired in the first place- the top coordinators passed over our job because the coach was on the hot seat, and no one wanted to be looking for another job in a year.  

Also, ever since the story of Gruden got out where he "embarrassed" Wade Phillips in the video room, we don't have a chance at hiring a top shelf DC, even if Gruden isn't on the hot seat.

My assuming Manusky is gone is based on Gruden being gone. And with the rumors starting about Harbaugh wanting to return to the NFL I would bet Snyder goes all in for him. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

My assuming Manusky is gone is based on Gruden being gone. And with the rumors starting about Harbaugh wanting to return to the NFL I would bet Snyder goes all in for him. 

Yeah, but if you're Harbaugh, do you come here over say a Green Bay?

Only Getting rid of manusky is like treating your  dandruff when you have a massive brain tumor.

i don’t think we will ever be successful with Snyder. He’s the Perfect example that getting rich in business is different than being successful in football 

giphy.gif

On 12/4/2018 at 9:36 AM, RSkinGM said:

Suds -love to bring him back ! Isn't he on their 53 man roster though ?

Yes, I didn’t realize it, but either way I’d like to have a QB like him off of someone’s practice squad - who’s in their mid 20s developing - rather than a 30 year old who’s failed even as a back up in the league.

9 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I dont think he fits Greenbay aka Arron Rodgers. He's not a offensive guy. 

Harbaugh isn’t an offensive guy? Where do you get that impression? He’s a huge offensive guy, he’s a former college and pro QB. He developed Alex Smith & Kap and in college he developed Andrew Luck and other QBs.

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I love Harbaugh as a HC but I’m still not in favor of giving him final say over all football operations like we did with Shanahan to get him and that’s what it’ll take. Harbaugh left San Fran bc he didn’t get final say over all football operations, at Michigan he has that.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd bet on Cleveland before here 

I think Cleveland, as weird as it is type this, may be a bit of a desirable destination. Young team that's hungry in a town that will treat anyone who brings wins as a savior.

Archived