Colt McCoy out with fractured fibula; may or may not go on IR

naptownskinsfan

Back to the original post in this thread, I have no idea why we’d bring Colt McCoy back to play in week 17 off of a broken leg. 

If we are still in playoff contention going into week 17 - and I doubt we are - it will be bc Mark Sanchez is actually playing decent football and we won 2 or 3 games with him as our starting QB - which is impossible - but if it happens, we shouldn’t bench him for Colt in week 17.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/19/colt-mccoy-says-he-is-still-hopeful-about-playing-redskins-finale-versus-eagles/

Redskins quarterback Colt McCoy has been running in anticipation of a possible end-of-season comeback from a broken leg. McCoy said Wednesday that his leg feels good and he remains hopeful he might be able to return for the team’s last game of the season against Philadelphia, but declined to provide any further details of his recovery.

McCoy broke his fibula in a Dec. 3 loss to the Eagles.

Washington Coach Jay Gruden has not given a timetable for McCoy’s return. The Redskins have not put him on injured reserve, holding onto the possibility that McCoy will be healthy enough to play again this year. While McCoy has been working with trainers, he hasn’t come back to practice.

Broke leg on December 3rd.
Eagles game on December 30th.

27 days? Not even a full four weeks? Okay then ...

Oh, and that's not taking into account that he would nominally have to practice next Tuesday or Wednesday to shake the rust off.

I could maybe understand this if Colt McCoy were Aaron Rodgers ... but he's not. Why are they pushing to have him play? I get why he wants to play (for the first time in five years, the potential for being an opening day starter is on the line for him), but why is the organization so hot to trot?

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Oh, and that's not taking into account that he would nominally have to practice next Tuesday or Wednesday to shake the rust off.

I could maybe understand this if Colt McCoy were Aaron Rodgers ... but he's not. Why are they pushing to have him play? I get why he wants to play (for the first time in five years, the potential for being an opening day starter is on the line for him), but why is the organization so hot to trot?

I hate it too, I don’t think we should play him. Just let JJ finish the year.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Because for like three years Gruden has been talking up McCoy.

And honestly, nothing that happens short of an amazing performance on Saturday is going to convince me that Josh Johnson sucks.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Offense looks much better when Colt is running it. He did start 4/4 for 50 yards before he got hurt in Philly. I would like to see what he can do with a healthy Crowder/CT especially since Mccoy probably will be the starter next season. 

1 hour ago, rizzy said:

Offense looks much better when Colt is running it. He did start 4/4 for 50 yards before he got hurt in Philly. I would like to see what he can do with a healthy Crowder/CT especially since Mccoy probably will be the starter next season. 

If McCoy is going to be the starter next season, why risk further injury now and jeopardizing him for next season by rushing him back too quickly?

47 minutes ago, Woz said:

If McCoy is going to be the starter next season, why risk further injury now and jeopardizing him for next season by rushing him back too quickly?

Gives you the best chance to win(and make the playoffs) and if he is cleared to play he should play. I would understand not bringing him back if this was a top pick like RGIII but he isn't in the long term plans. He is here for the now and possibly to bridge until the next QB is drafted in the case that Alex never plays for us again.

Just now, rizzy said:

Gives you the best chance to win(and make the playoffs) and if he is cleared to play he should play.

So, should Seattle, Minnesota, and Dallas all win this weekend and Washington lose, he shouldn't play (since they will then be eliminated from the playoffs)?

Just now, rizzy said:

I would understand not bringing him back if this was a top pick like RGIII but he isn't in the long term plans.

But he's in next year's plans, right? Why risk making the team even less competitive next year for an almost assuredly one and done playoff appearance?

Just now, rizzy said:

He is here for the now and possibly to bridge until the next QB is drafted in the case that Alex never plays for us again.

That bridge would need to be in place for the 2019 season.

23 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, should Seattle, Minnesota, and Dallas all win this weekend and Washington lose, he shouldn't play (since they will then be eliminated from the playoffs)?

But he's in next year's plans, right? Why risk making the team even less competitive next year for an almost assuredly one and done playoff appearance?

That bridge would need to be in place for the 2019 season.

In my opinion if the playoffs are on the line in week 17 and the doctors say he can play I think he should. The only time I would consider sitting him is if they said he is 50/50 to reinjure himself if he plays but if he waits a week he is not at risk to reinjure himself. Us making a run in the playoffs is unlikely but there have been other unlikely winners see Eli's Giants and the Eagles with Foles. It is hard to make the playoffs, I would rather them do everything they can to get in and see what happens than try and gain 3 spots in the draft. This would also apply to Jordan Reed as well.

I would also like to think that if the players on our team con overcome the adversity of the injuries and make the playoffs and maybe win a game it will help them the next time they play in a high pressure game with everything on the line.

Archived