Lamar vs Flacco

tgrades3

Lamar is 2 years away and is clearly a better option right now than Flacco. It's actually a real conundrum.

I think you have to roll with Jackson from now on and hope it doesn't hurt his development. He's gonna have to make huge strides during the next couple of offseasons. They should really bring in an established dual threat QB as a backup or a coach to specifically help him along. Get him to talk to Steve Young and/or Mike Vick as much as possible. I'm assuming those two currently make too much to hire long term, but give Kordell Stewart a call and see what he's up to!

46 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Lamar is 2 years away and is clearly a better option right now than Flacco. It's actually a real conundrum.

I think you have to roll with Jackson from now on and hope it doesn't hurt his development. He's gonna have to make huge strides during the next couple of offseasons. They should really bring in an established dual threat QB as a backup or a coach to specifically help him along. Get him to talk to Steve Young and/or Mike Vick as much as possible. I'm assuming those two currently make too much to hire long term, but give Kordell Stewart a call and see what he's up to!

Eh. He’s turning over ball a lot and struggling through air. Definitely not clear IMO. 

2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Eh. He’s turning over ball a lot and struggling through air. Definitely not clear IMO. 

Hopefully will get better. Some times rookies start well and defense figure them out. He seems humble and williing to learn. 

Dont see RG3 or Vince young here. See more of a Steve McNair or Michael Vick.

30 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

That's what I mean. He looks like he's still 2 years away. You can't argue with success, however. The team is just better with him at QB, regardless of the fact that Flacco is a better passer.

While there is no doubt that Flacco is the overall better quarterback, the way the Ravens have been able to win with Lamar Jackson for 3 games straight really makes a switch difficult.

Nobody thinks Lamar can do enough in the passing game, and Flacco would clearly be an upgrade and a player who much faster could put points on the board. Lamar has had too many turnovers, both on fumbles and interceptions (albeit not all his fault due to batted passes), and he missed wide open receivers for touchdowns and a worst case scenario would be his receivers losing faith in him being able to hit them and then giving up on plays.

BUT, with Lamar Jackson the Ravens have suddenly put together a really strong running game and with Lamar Jacksons ability to run the ball they have been able to sustain drives and dominate time of possession. This has also affected the defense that have been fresh for the entire game, and I don’t think it is a coincidence that the defense suddenly have managed to create more sacks and turnovers and put points on the board compared to the 9 games before the bye.

This is also what could “save” Lamar Jackson, as he has not put that many points on the board himself on offense, as the D/ST has contributed with 21 of 84 points in the last 3 games, which gives an average of 21 points against 3 of the leagues worst defenses.

There a pros and cons to this decision and I could get behind a choice starting Flacco as well as going with the hot hand in Lamar Jackson.

Flacco.

Teams will start to exploit Jackson's limited passing capabilities and gameplan against him as a runner. I wouldn't blame the Ravens for sticking with Jackson, but I don't see it ending well. Then again, I don't think the Ravens are going to make a big splash in the playoffs with Flacco either, but meh.

I said it before and Ill say it again...

Lamar Jackson's success is extremely reminiscent of the short-term success guys like Tim Tebow and Vince Young had.     He is making plays here and there and when its needed, which is to be commended, but, AT THIS POINT, does anyone actually trust him to be anything close to a franchise QB or someone who can take them anywhere in the playoffs?   Success like his isnt sustainable....unless he can drastically improve as a passer....things Tebow and Young couldnt do.

Its a tough situation the Ravens are in, because if they make a decision that doesnt work out, they are going to get lambasted for it.   As of right now, the Ravens are on a win streak with Lamar and its pretty obvious Flacco is going to be gone after this season....so the smarter move would probably be to stick with Lamar for now.    However, if they get to the playoffs, I would 100000000% trust Flacco over Jackson.

Let me just clarify that I actually like Jackson and think he has upside, but he needs alot of work.

41 minutes ago, Malik said:

Keep him in. The experience will be helpful and I don't think anyone outside of Baltimore thinks they can beat like any of the other teams in the AFC in the playoffs.

Which is exactly how we want it and the same reason we have won a game in every playoff the Ravens have been in with Harbaugh has HC and Flacco as QB.

3 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Get him to talk to Steve Young and/or Mike Vick as much as possible. I'm assuming those two currently make too much to hire long term, but give Kordell Stewart a call and see what he's up to!

Mike Vick - the coach killer - being suggested as a potential QB coach hire. I never thought I'd see the day. 

On topic - there is absolutely no way you put Joe Flacco back in the lineup. You drafted Jackson to be the starter in waiting, he had to get in and he didn't completely implode as a QB. This is exactly what you wanted to see at this stage in his development, so you keep on down this path for this season, give him a ton of homework during the off-season so he can continue improving.

The Lamar Jackson era has started. Full stop.

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Mike Vick - the coach killer - being suggested as a potential QB coach hire. I never thought I'd see the day.

I know! I legitimately just cannot think of many guys with the right experience. I was thinking Vick, Steve Young, Slash, maybe like Jeff Garcia? He's not the Cam/Ben style mobile QB with his size. The pool is so limited, and the kid needs all the experience in the world in a hurry.

8 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I know! I legitimately just cannot think of many guys with the right experience. I was thinking Vick, Steve Young, Slash, maybe like Jeff Garcia? He's not the Cam/Ben style mobile QB with his size. The pool is so limited, and the kid needs all the experience in the world in a hurry.

Garcia is a really good choice...

I think if you can find a great CFL QB coach could work - the style of game in Canada lends itself to faster, open field runners at QBs.

Couldn't hurt.

Archived