When will you have true confidence?

WindyCity

I was thinking about this today and I am wondering when everyone else will truly have confidence in the Bears? The kind of confidence that fans of good teams have where you do not have that doubt creep into the back of your mind.

I still have doubts even when they are up big, or playing an inferior player.

For me I think it will be half way through next season as long as they can sustain some success. I need 20+ games of quality football before I truly let go of some of the angst and doubts from the last 10 years.

I think once they experience a taste of playoff football they will know what it takes to be able to compete on that level against the best of teams.  That will go a long way towards giving the team confidence.

I look at the Rams as an example last year when they were an up and coming team like the Bears, got to the first round of the playoffs and lost to the Falcons.  Look at them now.  

For Bears, they are still a young and inexperienced team that is learning how to close out games.  I expect a big leap in year 2 under Nagy.  Anything this year is just gravy.

One, Bears aren't consistent in play or coaching so why would anyone have confidence in them?

But even if they played at their best each week you can't really have true confidence.   There is too much parody in NFL right now.

Best teams right now are KC, Rams, NO and NE and each one is vulnerable.

KC, Rams and NO all have suspect defenses and NE simply lacks top to bottom talent.  I would still put those 4 as the favorites as they have been all year, but they can all be upset in playoffs.

But KC just lost their RB, Rams have lost arguably their best WR and NO juggarnaught go shut down by Dallas.  NE can be beat anyone or be beat by anyone on any given day. 

Since pre season most of us as said next year is the best year for Bears barring injuries and I don't really think anything has changed that.  Nothing is guaranteed though, MN thought they were going to be gangbusters this year and that didn't happen.  Defense of last year didn't show up this year even though it's mostly all same guys.  O line had some injuries and that was that.

Think what would happen to Bears if they lost either one of their OTs for the season.  It takes so little to change things drastically for a team.  

On flip side I believe if Smith doesn't hold out and Shaheen doesn't go down the Bears are 11-1 right now with different state of mind, but ifs and buts were candy and nuts.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I was thinking about this today and I am wondering when everyone else will truly have confidence in the Bears? The kind of confidence that fans of good teams have where you do not have that doubt creep into the back of your mind.

For me I think it will be half way through next season as long as they can sustain some success. I need 20+ games of quality football before I truly let go of some of the angst and doubts from the last 10 years.

Based on our history of being fans of this team? Not for a while. Some people are expecting us to win out -- I don't even know if we can beat the Rams!

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Based on our history of being fans of this team? Not for a while. Some people are expecting us to win out -- I don't even know if we can beat the Rams!

We aren't supposed to be able to beat the Rams at our best.  Beating them would be an upset.

Just to further expound on this... I still have creeping doubts that we don't even make the playoffs, man. I don't trust this franchise and they don't deserve my trust based on the **** I've been put through as a fan for the past 25+ years.

25 minutes ago, G08 said:

Just to further expound on this... I still have creeping doubts that we don't even make the playoffs, man. I don't trust this franchise and they don't deserve my trust based on the **** I've been put through as a fan for the past 25+ years.

Go into every fight thinking and truly believing you can win no matter the odds or you have already lost. That maxim applies more to players and coaches than fans though as they have little or no control.  

As a fan its often que sera sera or go insane.  

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Go into every fight thinking and truly believing you can win no matter the odds or you have already lost. That maxim applies more to players and coaches than fans though as they have little or no control.  

As a fan its often que sera sera or go insane.  

I used to do that ad nauseam .... truthfully I kind of miss it 

47 minutes ago, G08 said:

A lot of stupid things would have to happen for that.  For one, Bears would have to lose out and I can't see that happening. Also one of the Cowboys, Eagles, Panthers or Redskins would have to win out.  That's not happening either.

I do not trust the Bears. That is why I felt that the Giants game was important because it was one that they should win.

It gave them some margin for error. Now that margin is much smaller.

You really don't trust them to win just one of their remaining games based on how far they've come this season? Like I've been saying that should be enough to get them in.

Even then I still expect them to win 2 out of their remaining 4 to finish 10-6 and with the division crown.

The Bears' offense isn't productive enough for me to trust them to consistently win games. Similar to some of Lovie's teams, the defense can produce enough big plays to beat good teams, but the offense is mediocre enough to let any team hang around.

I think it's going to take another year for Mitch to develop within Nagy's system and for Pace to acquire the types of players this offense requires. I'm not convinced that Robinson or Howard are great fits in this offense.

49 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The Bears' offense isn't productive enough for me to trust them to consistently win games. Similar to some of Lovie's teams, the defense can produce enough big plays to beat good teams, but the offense is mediocre enough to let any team hang around.

I think it's going to take another year for Mitch to develop within Nagy's system and for Pace to acquire the types of players this offense requires. I'm not convinced that Robinson or Howard are great fits in this offense.

Ok maybe not Howard but how are you not convinced that Robinson is a good fit?  This guy makes some pretty amazing catches.  Every offense can use a guy like that as far as I'm concerned.

Archived