Week 14 GDT: Time to get bucked by the Broncos!

N4L

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dudes, if you guys give Alf Morris touches over any other RB on your roster, the Commissioner's office should investigate SF for deliberate and overt tanking to get Bosa (then they'll suspend Kareem Hunt more for being peripherally involved in some altercation in the SF area this past summer while doing this investigation).

That doesn't mean I think Wilson Jr. is getting more than 15-20 touches...but even Dayes should get looks over Morris.  Alf looked good for 1-2 weeks...then the Geritol wore off.

Another point got brought up - other than the 2H in the GB game, Sherman stays on the L side.  But he moved to cover Adams when it was late in the GB game, and clearly no one else was being targeted by ARod as 1st look.   With Sanders out - will your DC adjust accordingly?  Man, it seems obvious to go that route.  What say you?  Again, if this never happened, then fair enough - but if it happened vs. GB and Adams, seems like a no-brainer now.

Sherman has hardly traveled all season long. He did for a few plays against the Packers at the end but that's it. Both corners will just play their sides. And besides, Witherspoon has been playing better than Sherman as of late anyways. 

Yeah, give all the carries to Wilson and Dayes.

Your defense despite the injuries in the secondary will kill us. Just bring the blitz and it will guarantee in a sack or a INT. 

Lindsay may find it a bit difficult to get going though....MAYBE. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nope lol

It helps for sure tbh

Maybe it will change their outlook on the game? 

Football is an emotional game. When you lose key guys a few days or hours before a game it is tough to recover mentally. 

We saw that first hand with foster getting arrested the night before a game. 

It's also why I think the chiefs are due for some more close games where they are sweating it out. Andy Reid usually has a rough patch mid-season, but we see how mahomes does 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Another point got brought up - other than the 2H in the GB game, Sherman stays on the L side.  But he moved to cover Adams when it was late in the GB game, and clearly no one else was being targeted by ARod as 1st look.   With Sanders out - will your DC adjust accordingly?  Man, it seems obvious to go that route.  What say you?  Again, if this never happened, then fair enough - but if it happened vs. GB and Adams, seems like a no-brainer now.

Very doubtful. Sherman will play inside on a slot receiver for a play or two late in the game but very rarely does he move around. 

It's very frustrating. I talked about it in our bucs gdt 

We just let other teams dictate matchups and never adjust. We continuously run zone blitzes that might look good on paper, but the problem is that our back end has shuffled through so many guys that we always seem to have breakdowns and wide open WRs. Even when we were healthy we couldn't seem to get it right, and it's only gotten worse. 

Even the time you are talking about with Adams, that was only when Adams lined up on the offenses right (Sherman's normal side). When Adams went to the other side Sherman didn't follow him. 

Sutton vs Witherspoon will be an interesting matchup. Both have similar builds and are young athlete's still learning nuance. Spoon has played better lately, but he's had the unfortunate luck of ticky tacky PI calls recently. We are giving him S help a lot and keeping his job simple. He's getting better week by week.

Our pass rush isn't doing our pass d any favors, but we are strong up the middle up front 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sherman has hardly traveled all season long. He did for a few plays against the Packers at the end but that's it. Both corners will just play their sides. And besides, Witherspoon has been playing better than Sherman as of late anyways. 

Yeah, give all the carries to Wilson and Dayes.

Your defense despite the injuries in the secondary will kill us. Just bring the blitz and it will guarantee in a sack or a INT. 

Lindsay may find it a bit difficult to get going though....MAYBE. 

Our run blocking is excellent - but I noticed that your front 7 with Warner inside does a great job of run stoppage.  That will be fun to watch for sure

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

Maybe it will change their outlook on the game? 

Football is an emotional game. When you lose key guys a few days or hours before a game it is tough to recover mentally. 

We saw that first hand with foster getting arrested the night before a game. 

It's also why I think the chiefs are due for some more close games where they are sweating it out. Andy Reid usually has a rough patch mid-season, but we see how mahomes does 

Very doubtful. Sherman will play inside on a slot receiver for a play or two late in the game but very rarely does he move around. 

It's very frustrating. I talked about it in our bucs gdt 

We just let other teams dictate matchups and never adjust. We continuously run zone blitzes that might look good on paper, but the problem is that our back end has shuffled through so many guys that we always seem to have breakdowns and wide open WRs. Even when we were healthy we couldn't seem to get it right, and it's only gotten worse. 

Even the time you are talking about with Adams, that was only when Adams lined up on the offenses right (Sherman's normal side). When Adams went to the other side Sherman didn't follow him. 

Sutton vs Witherspoon will be an interesting matchup. Both have similar builds and are young athlete's still learning nuance. Spoon has played better lately, but he's had the unfortunate luck of ticky tacky PI calls recently. We are giving him S help a lot and keeping his job simple. He's getting better week by week.

Our pass rush isn't doing our pass d any favors, but we are strong up the middle up front 

That's helpful info from you both re: Sherman, much appreciated.   It's weird how innovative Shanny is on one side of the ball, and how vanilla your D then is.  Then again, it might be too much for your secondary to handle switches, given how much trouble they have in base D.    Still, that seems like an easy adjustment to make, but if it hasn't happened since GB....well, either way, Witherspoon vs. Sutton with S help seems like the right call then.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's helpful info from you both re: Sherman, much appreciated.   It's weird how innovative Shanny is on one side of the ball, and how vanilla your D then is.  Then again, it might be too much for your secondary to handle switches, given how much trouble they have in base D.    Still, that seems like an easy adjustment to make, but if it hasn't happened since GB....well, either way, Witherspoon vs. Sutton with S help seems like the right call then.

Sherman can be had. He lacks short area quickness and he knows it. He is supposed to be the deep defender in this cover three shell so he will give up some underneath stuff on purpose. He's a good tackler which helps greatly. 

Honestly I'd love to see them put him in man coverage on TEs every week once we have other corners that can play the outside. He has done a such a great job tackling that I think he would be able to hold his own in the run game if lined up properly

His mind is as sharp as ever, maybe even moreso. 

He's like Kobe after he tore his achellies. What say you @J-ALL-DAY about that comparison

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Sherman can be had. He lacks short area quickness and he knows it. He is supposed to be the deep defender in this cover three shell so he will give up some underneath stuff on purpose. He's a good tackler which helps greatly. 

Honestly I'd love to see them put him in man coverage on TEs every week once we have other corners that can play the outside. He has done a such a great job tackling that I think he would be able to hold his own in the run game if lined up properly

His mind is as sharp as ever, maybe even moreso. 

He's like Kobe after he tore his achellies. What say you @J-ALL-DAY about that comparison

Sherman is better after his Achilles injury than what Kobe was. Sherman until the last few games was playing really good. But when the pass rush is inconsistent you will get inconsistent play from the secondary. Sherman should be better next year though.

Yeah the part about Achilles injury I was explaining to our Forum with the Sanders Achilles tear now - the explosion never returns to 100 percent pre-injury levels, at least not in guys late in their careers.  Sherman was just at an elite level pre-injury, that he can afford the loss - but he's not the same as he used to be.   Still, you'd think he can match up with the kind of WR play Sutton presents.

8 hours ago, John232 said:

Should I be starting Pettis. Most important question for me. Landry, Davis, Lockett and Barber being my other main options, 

Ceiling wise he’s got the best matchup and game script.  The only danger is our pass rush could give Mullens no time.   But our CB left can’t over.  

Davis gets TNF & Ramsey.  Barber is a meh talent.  Lockett likely gets Rhodes.   Landry is finally getting more looks but he rarely gets EZ looks.   

Landry or Lockett are safer floor choices.  But if you need to hit a Home Run Pettis is a good call.  

8 hours ago, John232 said:

Should I be starting Pettis. Most important question for me. Landry, Davis, Lockett and Barber being my other main options, 

Really, your question should be "Will we be starting Pettis?" And your answer to that will answer both. We seem to like prefer Pettis/Goodwin in the same spot, or Pettis at times in the slot. If Bourne starts and gets more snaps than Pettis in Garcon's spot, than no you probably shouldn't. But we should start Pettis given how he's played with Mullens these last weeks. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Really, your question should be "Will we be starting Pettis?" And your answer to that will answer both. We seem to like prefer Pettis/Goodwin in the same spot, or Pettis at times in the slot. If Bourne starts and gets more snaps than Pettis in Garcon's spot, than no you probably shouldn't. But we should start Pettis given how he's played with Mullens these last weeks. 

Pettis I think will definitely be the starter even if Goodwin returns, but what if Garcon returns? Btw, I have no idea what injury Garcon suffered as he was just fine in the Raiders game. But I don't know how at this point you can't be giving Pettis majority of the snaps. 

Pettis in the slot>>>>>>

51 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis I think will definitely be the starter even if Goodwin returns, but what if Garcon returns? Btw, I have no idea what injury Garcon suffered as he was just fine in the Raiders game. But I don't know how at this point you can't be giving Pettis majority of the snaps. 

Pettis in the slot>>>>>>

Disagree 100%. Goodwin isn't injured, and he will play. He's the speed receiver and plays one receiver spot - the X - outside the numbers. He can also play in the slot according to Shanahan, but he's definitely not a Z receiver. Pettis won't start over Goodwin. Pettis is the multifaceted receiver that can play any of the spots, but he has not been playing the Z receiver role. So the question is whether Pettis will start over Bourne with less experience, but to get the best two receivers on the field. In 3-WR sets, all 3 can easily be on the field and this is not a concern. 

I think there is zero reason right now to not have Pettis on the field, and I see no reason our 2 best receivers shouldn't be on the field together (Goodwin and Pettis) to start the game. But what seems obvious to us has not always been obvious to coaches, and so that would be my concern - Bourne starting over Pettis. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis in the slot>>>>>>

I just realized I may have misinterpreted your lead-in for this post, which wasn't Pettis over Goodwin, but rather Pettis will start over Bourne. I still disagree that is a definite (it should be, but I disagree that it is), but I no longer disagree entirely if this is what you meant. 

29 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I just realized I may have misinterpreted your lead-in for this post, which wasn't Pettis over Goodwin, but rather Pettis will start over Bourne. I still disagree that is a definite (it should be, but I disagree that it is), but I no longer disagree entirely if this is what you meant. 

Correct, meaning the starters will be Goodwin/Pettis. I'm just not 100% sure even though I should be that Pettis would get the edge over Garcon. Think he would play the slot plenty, but could see Shanny going with Goodwin/Garcon.

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

and so that would be my concern - Bourne starting over Pettis. 

And unlike many others, Shanny enjoys himself having his expensive fullback and Pro Bowl TE on the field at the same time, regularly limiting the offense to just the two wide receivers.

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

And unlike many others, Shanny enjoys himself having his expensive fullback and Pro Bowl TE on the field at the same time, regularly limiting the offense to just the two wide receivers.

I have no animosity toward Juice or Kittle. They are often more dependable than some of our WRs. 

Archived