Week 14 GDT: Time to get bucked by the Broncos!

N4L

Mitchell played zero snaps I believe. Or at least I didn't notice him in the game. And we pretty much controlled Lindsay who was on a tear. Um, it took Saleh THIS long to figure this out? 

Pettis is emerging as a reliable 3rd down WR. Did have that one drop but he's the guy Mullens has been looking at on 3rd downs. That route running is not normal. I compared his route running to Doug Baldwin before the draft and I stick with that. Both have unreal releases and are a problem on two way routes. Pettis needs to get a bit stronger though. 

DJ Reed was super physical and made play after play. What happens next week if Williams is healthy? I was confident from day one that Reed and Warner would be good players and deliver. It hasn't worked for Reed at FS, but he is much better at corner. Now finally getting his shot. 

McGlinchey and Staley were very good in pass protection all game long. Miller got that one sack when McGlinchey was held but that was about it. Chubb got his sacks off a stunt and on Person I believe.

Marcel Harris was also good in both against the run and pass. Intrigued to see him the rest of the way. Could flash like Colbert did last year. 

Solomon Thomas got the interior rushes with Day out and was the first game all season he was getting after the QB. Missed two sacks he should have had and then committed a stupid roughing the passer penalty. Though nice move splitting the double team lol.

Spoon once again had a strong game on coverage. But once again had a penalty…. This time definitely warranted with his trip lol. 

Wilson didn't have a monster game or anything, but was running hard just like last week. Needs to protect the ball better but nice UDFA. 

Kittle was Kittle, no further analysis needed here. Special player. 

Lastly, Mullens played well. Going back to the 2nd half of the Seahawks game, he's starting to get in a rhythm. Has nice chemistry with Pettis and was making good decisions for the most part. If he can do this the rest of the season, then he very well may be our back next year. Fair to say we have seen the last of Beathard for the season unless Mullens gets hurt. 

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What am I missing? I just read we still have the 1st pick? 

It's a coin flip right now. Basically 1a / 1b with the cards. We have the same record, all three tie breakers are even. If nothing is changed, we will do a coin flip at the combine again

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Right? Total surprise to me. 

It's weird how ridiculous the tie breakers are. Why not use point differential as one of them rather than random records against the same team that may not even apply in the case of teams in different conferences

I mean there is seriously just a single the breaker if we are tired with the raiders before it goes to a coin flip

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

That's absurd...leave it to the NFL though

It's archaic. I can't believe they haven't changed it yet. Sos is good as the breaker one. Tie breaker to should be point diff. That would cover 99.9 of them. Absurd that the first overall pick could come down to a coin flip

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mitchell played zero snaps I believe. Or at least I didn't notice him in the game. And we pretty much controlled Lindsay who was on a tear. Um, it took Saleh THIS long to figure this out? 

In fairness, I thought Mitchell was largely fine throughout the year. Or at least not bad. But there's not real discernible difference between he and JOnes at this point, Jones has the upside and is a lot cheaper. Mitchell should not be on the roster next year. Jones should be the starter, and we can find a scrap heap guy making the vet min (or draft a guy in the late rounds) to be the back up. 

Pettis is emerging as a reliable 3rd down WR. Did have that one drop but he's the guy Mullens has been looking at on 3rd downs. That route running is not normal. I compared his route running to Doug Baldwin before the draft and I stick with that. Both have unreal releases and are a problem on two way routes. Pettis needs to get a bit stronger though.

I've been using Keenan Allen, but Baldwin is a solid comp as well. He's going to have a nice floor. His ceiling will depend on some improvement in areas for sure. 

DJ Reed was super physical and made play after play. What happens next week if Williams is healthy? I was confident from day one that Reed and Warner would be good players and deliver. It hasn't worked for Reed at FS, but he is much better at corner. Now finally getting his shot. 

At this point, I feel like the younger guys should be playing over the vets. Williams has largely been fine in my opinion, but he's not a guy that you need to keep around longer than you need to. They actually have fairly similar skillsets in my opinion, and Reed was a monster coming down hill today.  Will need to see more of him in coverage in the slot, and we are going to see that by playing him.  Money still matters in this league, even to a team with 75 million in space. There's no reason to pay Williams 2.6 mil next year if you're largely getting the same performance from a guy making 600K. That being said, don't save a ton from Williams next year (1m) 

Marcel Harris was also good in both against the run and pass. Intrigued to see him the rest of the way. Could flash like Colbert did last year. 

Was pretty impressed with him this game, I will admit. I don't know what kind of range he has back there, that'll be something we all discover with more time, and I wonder if he's not going to miss some tackles with the tenacity he comes down hill, but I was impressed today. And I love the three safety set we used a lot last year (I modeled my entire TCMD under this premise defensively), so I'd love it if he and Tartt could fill two of those spots with a ball hawking rangy safety to work with them. 

Solomon Thomas got the interior rushes with Day out and was the first game all season he was getting after the QB. Missed two sacks he should have had and then committed a stupid roughing the passer penalty. Though nice move splitting the double team lol.

He had a nice game and caused some havoc on the interior. I still don't know what to do with him. I'm eyeing trades, and I Think that there are a couple that could benefit both parties, but I'm in no hurry to move him either. I just really wonder if he has the athleticism and explosion to be a finisher at this level, even on the interior. He can maybe cause some havoc and with a good edge rusher, that creates problems offensively. Will have to wait and see. No coincidence that his best two games of the season have come in the games he's seen the most time on the interior. 

Wilson didn't have a monster game or anything, but was running hard just like last week. Needs to protect the ball better but nice UDFA. 

The one thing I would like to see is more explosion and ability to create big plays. And yeah, he definitely needs to hold on to the ball better. Still, well rounded dude, looks like he could be a solid change of pace RB and back up. 

Lastly, Mullens played well. Going back to the 2nd half of the Seahawks game, he's starting to get in a rhythm. Has nice chemistry with Pettis and was making good decisions for the most part. If he can do this the rest of the season, then he very well may be our back next year. Fair to say we have seen the last of Beathard for the season unless Mullens gets hurt

I think I feel more comfortable with Mullens than CJ, that's for sure. Have no idea what that means in the long run though. Still don't know if Mullens is that competent at this level or not. He's picking up a lot of his plays from RAC, which is nice, but not always something I want to see when dissecting quarterbacks. The field just becomes so limited sometimes. I'd  feel more comfortable if we could connect and take some shots deep with him, make defense respect the entire field to some degree (they probably don't need to worry about the sidelines 12 yards deep) 

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, I thought Mitchell was largely fine throughout the year. Or at least not bad. But there's not real discernible difference between he and JOnes at this point, Jones has the upside and is a lot cheaper. Mitchell should not be on the roster next year. Jones should be the starter, and we can find a scrap heap guy making the vet min (or draft a guy in the late rounds) to be the back up. 

I've been using Keenan Allen, but Baldwin is a solid comp as well. He's going to have a nice floor. His ceiling will depend on some improvement in areas for sure. 

At this point, I feel like the younger guys should be playing over the vets. Williams has largely been fine in my opinion, but he's not a guy that you need to keep around longer than you need to. They actually have fairly similar skillsets in my opinion, and Reed was a monster coming down hill today.  Will need to see more of him in coverage in the slot, and we are going to see that by playing him.  Money still matters in this league, even to a team with 75 million in space. There's no reason to pay Williams 2.6 mil next year if you're largely getting the same performance from a guy making 600K. That being said, don't save a ton from Williams next year (1m) 

Was pretty impressed with him this game, I will admit. I don't know what kind of range he has back there, that'll be something we all discover with more time, and I wonder if he's not going to miss some tackles with the tenacity he comes down hill, but I was impressed today. And I love the three safety set we used a lot last year (I modeled my entire TCMD under this premise defensively), so I'd love it if he and Tartt could fill two of those spots with a ball hawking rangy safety to work with them. 

He had a nice game and caused some havoc on the interior. I still don't know what to do with him. I'm eyeing trades, and I Think that there are a couple that could benefit both parties, but I'm in no hurry to move him either. I just really wonder if he has the athleticism and explosion to be a finisher at this level, even on the interior. He can maybe cause some havoc and with a good edge rusher, that creates problems offensively. Will have to wait and see. No coincidence that his best two games of the season have come in the games he's seen the most time on the interior. 

The one thing I would like to see is more explosion and ability to create big plays. And yeah, he definitely needs to hold on to the ball better. Still, well rounded dude, looks like he could be a solid change of pace RB and back up. 

I think I feel more comfortable with Mullens than CJ, that's for sure. Have no idea what that means in the long run though. Still don't know if Mullens is that competent at this level or not. He's picking up a lot of his plays from RAC, which is nice, but not always something I want to see when dissecting quarterbacks. The field just becomes so limited sometimes. I'd  feel more comfortable if we could connect and take some shots deep with him, make defense respect the entire field to some degree (they probably don't need to worry about the sidelines 12 yards deep) 

I see some Keenan Allen as well as all three have super quick releases at the LOS. But Pettis is just a smooth guy, needs to be more physical like the other two we mentioned.

The thing with Mitchell is I don't think he is a good run defender. He gets pushed back far too much unlike Jones who is stout against the run. Mitchell simply isn't good enough to be taking snaps away from Jones, let alone make the guy inactive.

Thomas may just end up getting traded but I still want to see one more year of him with much more interior play. I'm willing to risk the run defense taking a bit of a hit by even playing Thomas on the inside even on early downs. With teams passing damn near on every first down, it doesn't make sense to just play him on the outside on those base downs.

Williams is a favorite of Shanny but man I'm not sure you can deny DJ Reed. He is going to be good. Dude has the perfect traits you are looking for in a nickel back. And I still say he can play some outside corner despite his lack of height. Good player.

With Harris it is just too early to tell. Since he doesn't really even have much college film, he's a complete unknown at this point. Definitely fearless and brings the wood. Needs to be more disciplined like today. 

Mullens will always have physical limitations that prevent him from being a starter in this league, but he may turn out to be a decent back up. Mullens makes fairly smart decisions and knows where to go on money downs. That means for something. Can you say that about Beathard?

Congrats guys you earned it.  And you still are in the hunt for Bosa.  

As I've been saying since last year our supposed contention was a complete mirage.  Keenum as QB and VJ as HC we aren’t going anywhere.  Today showed that...again.  Hopefully everyone sees it now (again but hopefully it sticks).  

Your DL and DB’s really showed up.  And but for a crazy drop Pettis & Wilson played well.  And of course Kittle was a monster (who we somehow didn’t game plan for -  but that’s VJ).  Our long term direction probably became crystal clear and no one of our 2019 foundation got hurt. 

Win win all around.  

Archived