Week 14 GDT: Time to get bucked by the Broncos!

N4L

I was always higher on Pettis than most on this board, but I'm curious what kind of numbers do you think he puts up next year? Fair to expect like 1,000 yards 7-8 TDs? Or is that too much with other weapons like Kittle/Goodwin getting their fair share of targets? And McKinnon returns next year and you know he will also be a favorite of Jimmy G's. 

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was always higher on Pettis than most on this board, but I'm curious what kind of numbers do you think he puts up next year? Fair to expect like 1,000 yards 7-8 TDs? Or is that too much with other weapons like Kittle/Goodwin getting their fair share of targets? And McKinnon returns next year and you know he will also be a favorite of Jimmy G's. 

Hard to project for a number of reasons, but if he takes the next step, I see no reason he couldn't hit those numbers. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm starting to think Pettis might have several 10+ TD seasons in his career. He just gets open so fast in the redzone, and when we're not in the redzone, if he gets any kind of room to run, he has terrific vision. He now has TDs in three games in a row, right? And that's with us having limited receiving options (i.e. more focus on the options we do have) and a back-up QB. You gotta imagine Jimmy is taking notes and salivating at what we'll be able to do next year. Goodwin isn't a redzone target. Bourne has only shown to be in the preseason, but never in the regular season. Kittle is not a heavy muscle-y TE who will fight for jump balls, his TDs in the redzone have come from throwing underneath and running it in. Is Pettis the only receiving option all year who has caught a ball inside the endzone? He has some length to him, and can turn DBs inside out. So I believe he's our best redzone target right now and in the future.

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Only my favorite WR in '18 Draft, that's all. So, um, nope! :P

And I think he will do just fine next year. 1K yards and 6+ TDs should be very do-able.

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm starting to think Pettis might have several 10+ TD seasons in his career. He just gets open so fast in the redzone, and when we're not in the redzone, if he gets any kind of room to run, he has terrific vision. He now has TDs in three games in a row, right? And that's with us having limited receiving options (i.e. more focus on the options we do have) and a back-up QB. You gotta imagine Jimmy is taking notes and salivating at what we'll be able to do next year. Goodwin isn't a redzone target. Bourne has only shown to be in the preseason, but never in the regular season. Kittle is not a heavy muscle-y TE who will fight for jump balls, his TDs in the redzone have come from throwing underneath and running it in. Is Pettis the only receiving option all year who has caught a ball inside the endzone? He has some length to him, and can turn DBs inside out. So I believe he's our best redzone target right now and in the future.

I also love him roasting teams' second best corners in man coverage as the defense's focus is elsewhere. If you don't get hands on him and disrupt his route, he will kill you with his body fakes and quick feet. The best can afford to get tight early in the route and get hands on him without worrying about him getting behind them too readily. Everyone else is susceptible. He's just got to avoid those killer drops to be an effective second option. 

George Kittle now has the 19th best receiving season in team history, regardless of position. He's 97 yards away from hitting 1,200 yards, which is something only 3 receivers in team history have done - Dave Parks, Jerry Rice, and Terrell Owens. 

Hard to predict where he ends up, but he's on pace for 1,357 yards. That would be the 9th best season in team history.

He currently has the 24th best season by a tight end in NFL history. He's on pace for what would be an NFL record, but Kelce is ahead of him on the year.

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

George Kittle now has the 19th best receiving season in team history, regardless of position. He's 97 yards away from hitting 1,200 yards, which is something only 3 receivers in team history have done - Dave Parks, Jerry Rice, and Terrell Owens. 

Hard to predict where he ends up, but he's on pace for 1,357 yards. That would be the 9th best season in team history.

He currently has the 24th best season by a tight end in NFL history. He's on pace for what would be an NFL record, but Kelce is ahead of him on the year.

I should also add, he is currently, and ironically, 4 yards behind Hall of Famer Shannon Sharpe's best season. 

13 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Only my favorite WR in '18 Draft, that's all. So, um, nope! :P

And I think he will do just fine next year. 1K yards and 6+ TDs should be very do-able.

Reading comprehension sir, I did say more than most, NOT more than ALL ;).

We are now even :D.

17 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

My biggest pet peeve is thinking you need bigger WRs to be RZ threats. Not simply true. Pettis can absolutely become a RZ threat. His release is insane and this is one of the biggest reasons Baldwin has been so good in the RZ over the years. Pettis is a guy you will even be able to throw up some jump balls despite his lack of height. Not that he is small or anything, but not one of those 6 4 type of WRs either. 

20 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Hard to project for a number of reasons, but if he takes the next step, I see no reason he couldn't hit those numbers. 

To me it comes down to the chemistry he develops with Jimmy G and the amount of targets he gets. Jimmy G LOVES himself some Goodwin and they have something nice going on. Can he develop something similar with Pettis? Sure hope so. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My biggest pet peeve is thinking you need bigger WRs to be RZ threats. Not simply true. Pettis can absolutely become a RZ threat. His release is insane and this is one of the biggest reasons Baldwin has been so good in the RZ over the years. Pettis is a guy you will even be able to throw up some jump balls despite his lack of height. Not that he is small or anything, but not one of those 6 4 type of WRs either. 

To me it comes down to the chemistry he develops with Jimmy G and the amount of targets he gets. Jimmy G LOVES himself some Goodwin and they have something nice going on. Can he develop something similar with Pettis? Sure hope so. 

He's certainly putting good plays on film to artificially build some trust. That helps for sure.

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, that escalated quickly lol. Anyone know the back story behind this? Armstead doesn't even tweet much but it seems like he REALLY wanted to get this off of his chest. 

And how can you be a beat writer with the name "Beast Writer" WTF???? LOL.

I saw this as well. I looked at Sakamoto's (spelling?) twitter, and he did retweet this from Armstead, but I didn't see any explanation for it, nor did he really address it from what I can tell. I've seen some critical tweets and writings from Sakamoto, but nothing that would be considered out of the ordinary or anything. He doesn't appear to be a fan of Armstead from a player standpoint, but again, nothing crazy out of the ordinary. 

D.J. Jones, meanwhile, had a solid outing at nose tackle in place of Mitchell. He started the contest and finished with four tackles and a quarterback hit, excellent for someone who faced double teams throughout the game and who was on the field for only 43 percent of the defensive snaps. Pro Football Focus gave him an 89.8 grade, the highest of all the 49ers defenders on Sunday.

@J-ALL-DAY @PapaShogun

Bye Earl

Archived