NFL Looking to Change up Punting

The Gnat

I tossed this idea out a couple years ago, regarding changes to the kickoff rule.

The NFL is at a serious crossroads.  It is a violent game, played by large, fast, strong men, who collide into one another.  The game is what it is.  You change the rules too much, for the purpose of player safety, and they are likely condemning the game to a somewhat swift demise.  

4 hours ago, atown703 said:

very true but he still made kickoffs fun to watch. I'm sure if you googled it, there has been twice as many punt return TDs over kickoff TDs throughout the entire league history

Probably because there are twice as punts as kickoffs, if i had to guess.

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The CFL has a "no yards" rule. There is no fair catching, but it is required to give the Returner at least 5 yards space when he is initially fielding the punt. 

do they have a rule to prevent players from running into the punter? This might be a safety driven concept, and if so, I could see blocked punts being less common.  If the safety is for the returner, then the CFL rule makes sense. 

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Does he still chew way too much gum on the sidelines?

He does, he much chew more gum than anyone and it does interfere with his coaching as we noticed recently:ph34r:

How about the TV camera's bring the hangtime and zoom for punts like CBS used to do in the mid 80's?

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

That's actually the only CFL rule I love over it's NFL counterpart. No fair catch, just make the first guy miss and you get a chance. It's hard to stay 5 yards away, which results in several penalties, which gives the offense a better starting position. But then, the game would be slowed down by coaches challenging that there was or wasn't a player within 5 yards...

I'd be kind of okay with adding that penalty issue since it's at least a penalty against the kicking team. As long as we're not adding penalties against the receiving team.

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

They should just get rid of them completely.

It's a waste of time to watch 97% of kickoffs go for a touchback.

Just set the ball at the 20 and save us the hassle 30 seconds from coming into the commercial to the commercial after the touchback.

Still have onside kicks, however.

I honestly don't even know why they do kickoffs in Denver. Even the weakest legged kicker in the league boots it into the stands. Same for most dome teams too.

9 minutes ago, jarren said:

Why can't they just accept football causes brain damage and its the risk players run if they want to play? 

Lawsuits and the potential loss of $$$. Literally the only reason.

I suggest getting rid of punters all together, have the starting QB punt the ball so when one eventually gets injured people will care about punting again.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

They should get rid of the punt. Not by rule change. Just, get some coaches that go for it on 4th down. I like that option better. 

Maybe you have to go for it when it's 4th & 5 or shorter but can punt when it's 4th & 6 or longer.

Or you can only punt when you're inside your 40.

Archived