Front Office News and Notes (Update: Caldwell staying)

.Buzz

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Who is a candidate we really want in that position?

With TC we aren't getting a high end candidate. I'd day Chris is a solid option, although I'd obviously prefer outside the org.

9 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

just fire TC as well. hes just as as responsible for the bad year this year as caldwell is.  i mean hes the one who okayed the bortles extension

If GM's/Team Presidents got fired over one bad move...

I don't understand the fire Coughlin rhetoric. We're 1 call from the Superbowl with a Qb we all knew they'd have to move on from sooner than later. Not looking to reinvent the wheel, they doubled down and it failed. Back to the drawing board and come back better in '19.

Y'all don't remember how many seasons we were awful for?

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

If GM's/Team Presidents got fired over one bad move...

honestly its been 2 pretty terrible drafts by him if we are being honest. 

Fournette good but injury prone. 

robinson: been injured/kincked up too much to say if hes good or bad.  when hes played hes played average. 

Smoot: pretty much an inactive this entire season till we traded fowler. previous year he was a decent run stopper but no pass rush skills. 

Westbrook: our defacto number 1 wr because of injuries. hes got some playmaking abilities but we cant take advantage of that because shoddy qb play. 

Brown: Backup WLB. 

Myrick: Off team.  was essentially replaced by an UDFA rookie this year. 

Williams: Off team since rookie year. 

Bryan: Has looked better recently by playing the 3tech but man hes brutal to watch at DE. 

Chark: havent really noticed him much.  had a few bad plays and a good play or 2.  for a team lacking playmakers its kinda dissapointing. 

Harrison: looks like our best pick in this draft. 

Richardson: preseason looked terrible. weekly inactive then got hurt when made active. 

Lee: a Camp Arm. currently on the PS but we all know hes gone as soon as we draft a qb. 

Jacobs: ill call him good considering hes a 7th rounder that is a "starter" but he doesnt play 50% of snaps cuz hes a Sam LB. 

Cooke: hes trash. 

59 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

honestly its been 2 pretty terrible drafts by him if we are being honest. 

Fournette good but injury prone. 

robinson: been injured/kincked up too much to say if hes good or bad.  when hes played hes played average. 

Smoot: pretty much an inactive this entire season till we traded fowler. previous year he was a decent run stopper but no pass rush skills. 

Westbrook: our defacto number 1 wr because of injuries. hes got some playmaking abilities but we cant take advantage of that because shoddy qb play. 

Brown: Backup WLB. 

Myrick: Off team.  was essentially replaced by an UDFA rookie this year. 

Williams: Off team since rookie year. 

Bryan: Has looked better recently by playing the 3tech but man hes brutal to watch at DE. 

Chark: havent really noticed him much.  had a few bad plays and a good play or 2.  for a team lacking playmakers its kinda dissapointing. 

Harrison: looks like our best pick in this draft. 

Richardson: preseason looked terrible. weekly inactive then got hurt when made active. 

Lee: a Camp Arm. currently on the PS but we all know hes gone as soon as we draft a qb. 

Jacobs: ill call him good considering hes a 7th rounder that is a "starter" but he doesnt play 50% of snaps cuz hes a Sam LB. 

Cooke: hes trash. 

Based on those write-up's I'm not sure why you'd characterize them as terrible.

Fournette, talent wise, was a great pick. He has proven that with his play as well. They couldn't have forecasted his injury problems. His ankle which gave him problems in college hasn't even been a problem this year. Our offense also looks pathetic when he's out, and at least reasonable when he gets on the field. It's night and day.

Robinson was solid as a rookie. He got hurt this year, you can't chalk that up as a bad pick because of that.

Smoot has been very noticeable the past couple games. He's a 3rd round pick. I was starting to feel like he wouldn't make it for a while but we expect guys to step on the field right away and dominate and that's just not how it works for everyone. He flashed constantly this past week against a good OL with his pass rush and made multiple big run stops, including one that caused the 4th down in which the Colts went for it and Jack/Telvin forced a fumble on Ebron.

I'm not going to continue doing write-up's, but these drafts have been largely solid. Last year you come away with 3 (Fournette, Robinson, Dede) legit players who may be long-term fixtures along with a guy in Smoot who could work his way into that, but at the very least is a solid depth piece. Same goes for Brown. That's more than solid. 

Than this past year it's way too soon to even grade. Bryan has flashed at his natural position at times and was known as a raw guy coming in that would need work. Chark we have no idea about yet. He hasn't been great but he also had a pretty awful QB situation which has made a lot of guys look worse than they are. Harrison looks like a sure-fire long-term. Than Richardson/Jacobs have a chance to be starters/depth pieces long term.

Either way, both drafts definitely haven't been terrible. If you want to be upset about Fournette's injury history/not taking a QB that's one thing, but the guy is definitely a high level/elite talent and is one of the few backs you take with a high pick if you're going to (Zeke, Gurley, Saquon, etc.), although I'd take them over Fournette, when he's healthy he's in that conversation imo.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Based on those write-up's I'm not sure why you'd characterize them as terrible.

Fournette, talent wise, was a great pick. He has proven that with his play as well. They couldn't have forecasted his injury problems. His ankle which gave him problems in college hasn't even been a problem this year. Our offense also looks pathetic when he's out, and at least reasonable when he gets on the field. It's night and day.

Robinson was solid as a rookie. He got hurt this year, you can't chalk that up as a bad pick because of that.

Smoot has been very noticeable the past couple games. He's a 3rd round pick. I was starting to feel like he wouldn't make it for a while but we expect guys to step on the field right away and dominate and that's just not how it works for everyone. He flashed constantly this past week against a good OL with his pass rush and made multiple big run stops, including one that caused the 4th down in which the Colts went for it and Jack/Telvin forced a fumble on Ebron.

I'm not going to continue doing write-up's, but these drafts have been largely solid. Last year you come away with 3 (Fournette, Robinson, Dede) legit players who may be long-term fixtures along with a guy in Smoot who could work his way into that, but at the very least is a solid depth piece. Same goes for Brown. That's more than solid. 

Than this past year it's way too soon to even grade. Bryan has flashed at his natural position at times and was known as a raw guy coming in that would need work. Chark we have no idea about yet. He hasn't been great but he also had a pretty awful QB situation which has made a lot of guys look worse than they are. Harrison looks like a sure-fire long-term. Than Richardson/Jacobs have a chance to be starters/depth pieces long term.

Either way, both drafts definitely haven't been terrible. If you want to be upset about Fournette's injury history/not taking a QB that's one thing, but the guy is definitely a high level/elite talent and is one of the few backs you take with a high pick if you're going to (Zeke, Gurley, Saquon, etc.), although I'd take them over Fournette, when he's healthy he's in that conversation imo.

u give Bortles an extension and then pass on 2 Potential franchise QBs for a RB when we didnt even have a Solid QB picture.  i dont know about you but even with his recent problems id still take hunt or even Aaron Jones over fournette. hell theres alot of backs we could go with and do the same or even better then fournette not to mention the stupidity of getting yourself suspended for running across the field to get involved into a fight. and its 1 thing if u r just a guy but its a whole nother when your the entire offense at this point. 

its Coughlins fault we are having a losing season because he decided to do the bare minimum amount of work into figuring the QB spot out.  his solution was to resign Bortles to a bigger deal and trade for a cheaper backup and spend a 6th rounder on tanner lee. 

we could have had Watson, Mahomes, Teddy(x2 trade and fa), cousins, mccown, Mason rudulph(scheme fit perfectly).   i respect coughlin as a HC but as a GM/VP hes never done that good in that regard.  i mean look at what happened to us after 1999 cuz he doesnt know how to work with the cap. 

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

u give Bortles an extension and then pass on 2 Potential franchise QBs for a RB when we didnt even have a Solid QB picture.  i dont know about you but even with his recent problems id still take hunt or even Aaron Jones over fournette. hell theres alot of backs we could go with and do the same or even better then fournette not to mention the stupidity of getting yourself suspended for running across the field to get involved into a fight. and its 1 thing if u r just a guy but its a whole nother when your the entire offense at this point. 

its Coughlins fault we are having a losing season because he decided to do the bare minimum amount of work into figuring the QB spot out.  his solution was to resign Bortles to a bigger deal and trade for a cheaper backup and spend a 6th rounder on tanner lee. 

we could have had Watson, Mahomes, Teddy(x2 trade and fa), cousins, mccown, Mason rudulph(scheme fit perfectly).   i respect coughlin as a HC but as a GM/VP hes never done that good in that regard.  i mean look at what happened to us after 1999 cuz he doesnt know how to work with the cap. 

This is all hindsight. Mahomes got passed on by more teams than just us, and who knows how he or others would have progressed outside of their situations.

Not going to argue with points above, I definitely don't agree with your Fournette take or a lot of your others. Either way, these past two drafts are way too early to judge and in 2017 they found 2-3 long term starters potentially and a potential 1-2 solid depth pieces. This year there's upside for similar. If you do that as a GM that's considered a success, not "terrible". 

15 hours ago, MightyRx said:

I don't understand the fire Coughlin rhetoric. We're 1 call from the Superbowl with a Qb we all knew they'd have to move on from sooner than later. Not looking to reinvent the wheel, they doubled down and it failed. Back to the drawing board and come back better in '19.

Y'all don't remember how many seasons we were awful for?

I think when it comes to the idea of firing Coughlin, it has to be more about whether he's holding us back from a better GM candidate or not.  Rather than what @LinderFournette is going on about trying to pin all this season's failures on him, and 2 drafts.

The real problem with Coughlin is that it limits what you're going to get for high-level GM candidates, because the best guys are going to want the go-ahead to completely run their own show and do things their own way.  As long as Coughlin is here in that nebulous "Football Decisionmaker Overseer Decider Guy" role, any Jaguars GM is going to be in a big shadow, with a lot of constraints on what they do in terms of direction and in the details.  Having to go to Coughlin for at best, a rubber stamp on everything.  At worst, ending up a glorified puppet like Caldwell has looked lately.

If we're missing out on a potentially phenomenal GM candidate because of that Coughlin factor...i think there's a strong case for firing him as well.  But i'm not entirely sure there is a phenomenal GM candidate out there who is going to be interested in our situation anyway.

It's a tough call.  But that's the aspect that makes sense from a "fire Coughlin" standpoint.  Not blaming him for our QB mess, or the draft picks from the last two years.

10 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

These two bolded points are incongruous, and where your criticism of Fournette doesn't really hold together.  You're essentially recognizing that Fournette is the offense when healthy, and it's an absolute killer when he's out of the game (due to injury, or stupidity)...which is a pretty darn special quality in a RB, especially in this day and age.  Yet you're suggesting there are a lot of backs who can do that?  I just don't get that, and i vehemently disagree with that Fournette take.

18 hours ago, Tugboat said:

These two bolded points are incongruous, and where your criticism of Fournette doesn't really hold together.  You're essentially recognizing that Fournette is the offense when healthy, and it's an absolute killer when he's out of the game (due to injury, or stupidity)...which is a pretty darn special quality in a RB, especially in this day and age.  Yet you're suggesting there are a lot of backs who can do that?  I just don't get that, and i vehemently disagree with that Fournette take.

i dont agree with spending a top 5 pick on a position that has one of the shortest shelf lifes in the nfl. hes the offense because we lack any talent at the most improtant position QB.  

also if we are being honest Aaron jones is a beast and he was like a 5th or 6th rounder.  even Phillip Lindsay whos playing over the likes of Royce freeman was an UDFA.  backs can and will alway be found late. 

Jones averages 5.6 yards per carry. i know part of that is because teams dont load the box as much cuz he was rogers at qb but i wonder how he would hold up being a full-time guy rather being an 11 carry guy. 

Archived