GDT Week 14: Baltimore Ravens vs Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Wink put a CB on Kelce when he was afforded the opportunity. 

Someone suggested that we put Carr on Kelce. I don't think that would be a bad idea, tbh. A lot of people are scared of the Chiefs but don't count me as one of them. Don't get me wrong, they're playing very well this year and spinning up. However, I don't trust their defense. I think the Ravens can make it a game. It's either gonna go good or really bad.

27-24 Ravens or 30-17 Chiefs

One of those numbers.

Why Carr and not Jimmy Smith if you were going to put a CB on Kelce?

Not having to account for the receiving threat of Kareem Hunt is a big advantage, especially considering this team's weakness at covering the middle of the field.  

Also Tyreek Hill still frightens me even with the very strong stable of CBs we have put together

23 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Someone suggested that we put Carr on Kelce. I don't think that would be a bad idea, tbh. A lot of people are scared of the Chiefs but don't count me as one of them. Don't get me wrong, they're playing very well this year and spinning up. However, I don't trust their defense. I think the Ravens can make it a game. It's either gonna go good or really bad.

27-24 Ravens or 30-17 Chiefs

One of those numbers.

I would like to see Jimmy press Kelce and follow him around and then have bracket coverage on Tyreek Hill. As much as I support Flacco, I believe the way we have been able to win with Lamar and this TOP offense is a great way to beat the Chiefs and more preferable than the "conventional" way with Flacco behind center.

If Lamar flames out and not able to pass the ball against a Chiefs defense, then we might have a conversation again about who to use. So far we haven't seen a team commit completely to stop the running game by stacking the box and play man to man. I could see defensive coordinators stack the entire line and play cover zero man to confuse and put immediate pressure on lamar and not giving him the chance to rush outside.

Guys, the TOP hammering needs to stop. It's a great advantage to have, but countless teams have won games without controlling TOP. Especially offensive teams that can score quickly and brutally like the Chiefs. 

I'm in favor of starting Flacco when healthy, but I'm also a Lamar Jackson supporter. And this constant harping on possession time has become a distraction from some of the more valuable aspects Lamar can bring to an offense.

22 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Guys, the TOP hammering needs to stop. It's a great advantage to have, but countless teams have won games without controlling TOP. Especially offensive teams that can score quickly and brutally like the Chiefs. 

I'm in favor of starting Flacco when healthy, but I'm also a Lamar Jackson supporter. And this constant harping on possession time has become a distraction from some of the more valuable aspects Lamar can bring to an offense.

I don't agree with this - or to elaborate, the TOP argument works because our defense whether it has been more "fresh" or just play great has been able to hold opposing offenses off the field. I can't see how Lamars ability to convert 2-3 downs with his legs and his ability to run creates more room for our running backs isn't his greatest strength at this moment?

What are the valuable aspects he brings to the offense other than making our run game dangerous?

1 minute ago, Danand said:

I don't agree with this - or to elaborate, the TOP argument works because our defense whether it has been more "fresh" or just play great has been able to hold opposing offenses off the field. I can't see how Lamars ability to convert 2-3 downs with his legs and his ability to run creates more room for our running backs isn't his greatest strength at this moment?

What are the valuable aspects he brings to the offense other than making our run game dangerous?

The defense has fallen short when "fresh" plenty of times this season. Lamar or Flacco leading clock eating drives isn't going to stop talented OCs and QBs from exploiting this defense's weaknesses. No one is going to argue that having a rested defense isn't a severe advantage, same for limiting a talented offense's opportunities. It all doesn't matter though if the other team is more efficient off their opportunities. 

We've played bad teams & our defense is just flat out playing better. Even Mosley has looked more explosive and sound post bye. Jimmy is returning to form. The Defense played great against Atlanta off short & long drives. There hasn't been a magical transformation.

^^The bolded isn't tethered to my point about time of possession.

My main issue is ascribing Lamar's value as a player primarily to his ability as a potential clock eating weapon. Our longest drive against the Falcons came with RG3 under center. Lamar is a dangerous player that opens up unique + explosive opportunities in the running & passing game, and he forces defenses to approach him accordingly. Whether he can consistently take advantage of those opportunities and avoid costly errors enough to lead us to victory against great teams is another story. 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The defense has fallen short when "fresh" plenty of times this season. Lamar or Flacco leading clock eating drives isn't going to stop talented OCs and QBs from exploiting this defense's weaknesses. No one is going to argue that having a rested defense isn't a severe advantage, same for limiting a talented offense's opportunities. It all doesn't matter though if the other team is more efficient off their opportunities. 

We've played bad teams & our defense is just flat out playing better. Even Mosley has looked more explosive and sound post bye. Jimmy is returning to form. The Defense played great against Atlanta off short & long drives. There hasn't been a magical transformation.

^^The bolded isn't tethered to my point about time of possession.

My main issue is ascribing Lamar's value as a player primarily to his ability as a potential clock eating weapon. Our longest drive against the Falcons came with RG3 under center. Lamar is a dangerous player that opens up unique + explosive opportunities in the running & passing game, and he forces defenses to approach him accordingly. Whether he can consistently take advantage of those opportunities and avoid costly errors enough to lead us to victory against great teams is another story. 

Fumbling and having it returned for a TD is actually good as it prevents the opponent from adding to its TOP.

I can certainly see the argument for why someone who not put much weight into time of possession, but to ignore it's impact on a game is naive to me. Controlling the time of possession and scoring on offense is huge. We all know it gives your defense time to rest and gameplan on the sidelines, but it also keeps the other offense off the field. If your defense only has to stop the other offense for 6 possessions instead of 8 or 9, that's huge.

Yes, our two biggest weaknesses on defense are things the Chiefs have elite talent at (speed WR's and TE's), but I feel like when you minimize Mahomes' opportunities and make him believe that every drive, every throw counts, he's going to make mistakes. Look at the Rams game. Once that game got to the end and it was in the arena of "If you make a mistake, the game is possibly over" Mahomes threw 2 picks to seal the game for LA. I believe if we come with that same approach, he'll make those same mistakes trying to force throws down the field.

In terms of our offense, really the only thing that's missing right now are the big chunk plays, and I think those will come as the offense continues to evolve and progress. Right now teams are going to start selling out to stop the run game, and when that happens shot plays will open up and Lamar will hit them.

10 hours ago, Danand said:

I have realized the past year that QB mobility has become extremely important in the NFL these days. Thus it is didn't surprise that Lamar Jackson has been able to run as good an offense as Flacco (if not better) due to his exceptional speed, even though his accuracy and decision making need work. 

It became obvious to me that Flacco-led offenses can be disrupted with pressure, because teams can blitz with impunity because there is only one spot Flacco can be (from 3 to 7 steps behind the center). With Jackson under center on 1st and 2nd downs, defenses have to play passive. If they miss filling a gap and don't contain the edges, Jackson could run 70 yards.

Ironically the Ravens offense is more conservative under Jackson, BUT opposing defenses in turn have to be more passive because Jackson is so dangerous on the edge. The Ravens can therefor pick and choose their spots to be aggressive.   

Archived