GDT Week 14: Baltimore Ravens vs Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Guys, the TOP hammering needs to stop. It's a great advantage to have, but countless teams have won games without controlling TOP. Especially offensive teams that can score quickly and brutally like the Chiefs. 

I'm in favor of starting Flacco when healthy, but I'm also a Lamar Jackson supporter. And this constant harping on possession time has become a distraction from some of the more valuable aspects Lamar can bring to an offense.

Countless teams may have won games after losing TOP but it’s much more of a rarity when the opponent thoroughly dominates TOP. We’re not talking about a 5 minute differential. We’re talking about the fact that we literally doubled the Falcons TOP.

Its not TOP hammering, it’s hammering the fact that the opponents defense is out on the field for long periods of time, which in turn tires them out making them more susceptible to being exposed at the end of games. It means that opposing offenses, even if successful against our defense can lose momentum as they stay on the sideline. Similarly it gives time for the defense to look at the iPad and make adjustments.

TOP isn’t limiting what Lamar can eventually bring to our offense. It’s simply acknowledging one of the benefits he’s already bringing. I’ve been a Flacco supporter for sure, but too often a problem we had with our offense was that it would consistently go into a dry spell where we would have multiple 3 and out situations. That in turn led to the defense getting gassed and go from limiting the opposition to field goals or no score, to them getting touchdowns. Also we’ve seen with the offense that the run game hasn’t worked this season. The RG3 Drive was an exhibit A for what happens when a defense plays our offense as if Jackson is in vs when Flacco is in. When they respected RG3 speed, our RBs gashed them, when they realized that he wasn’t going to actually run, they clamped down.

All in all, just because a probability exists does not make it a likelihood. These passing offenses might be sexy, but a rushing attack is old school football. Playing that type of style affords one a significant advantage when dominating TOP. There are many more cases of teams that win after dominating TOP than the opposite. Generally the only thing that causes a team to lose after dominating TOP is if they turn the ball over a lot and don’t put together scoring drives. That’s it.

57 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

TOP isn’t limiting what Lamar can eventually bring to our offense. It’s simply acknowledging one of the benefits he’s already bringing. I’ve been a Flacco supporter for sure, but too often a problem we had with our offense was that it would consistently go into a dry spell where we would have multiple 3 and out situations. That in turn led to the defense getting gassed and go from limiting the opposition to field goals or no score, to them getting touchdowns. Also we’ve seen with the offense that the run game hasn’t worked this season. The RG3 Drive was an exhibit A for what happens when a defense plays our offense as if Jackson is in vs when Flacco is in. When they respected RG3 speed, our RBs gashed them, when they realized that he wasn’t going to actually run, they clamped down.

In Flacco's last 3 games we had four 3 & Outs. In our last 3 games without Flacco, we've had five 3 & Outs.

One of the four drives under Flacco was ended off a horrible pass from Lamar to Snead. The 3 others he took a Sack on. 

Both Lamar and Flacco had a 1st down negated due to an Orlando Brown penalty on one of their 3 & Outs. Lamar would've had a sixth, if not for the Sam Koch fake punt. Which we tried to do on one of Flacco's 3 & Out drives, but it was negated by a ghost penalty that the club was never given an explanation for.

We didn't have a TOP "Issue" under Flacco.  It wasn't a strength, but we were middle of the pack as far as the league goes. This"Extra Rested Defense" narrative is overstated. The Raiders and Bengals were devoid of Playmakers, and our Defense worked the Falcons regardless of bench time. As I said, no one will argue against the benefits of a rested defense, but our unit has fallen short plenty of times regardless of possible fatigue. 

Our line isn't good at run blocking, period. Alex Collins couldn't function with them at all. Gus Edwards has been a revelation in that he can consistently churn out 4-5-4-3-6 type run lines, even with the line's sub par ability. Edwards ran successfully under Flacco as well in the Titans game. If we went to him earlier things could've been different. It's horrifying that no running back of ours has gone over 20 Yards on a rush, even once this season. 

I'm worried Edwards is starting to feel the load too. He's already starting to get dinged up. Hopefully Dixon can finally step up and overcome the line as well. 

33 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

#TrustInLamar

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Nothing to lose, everything to gain boys.

We got plenty to lose and still everything to gain, too.

Hope Lamar can get Willie Snead more involved. I need to see him with more opportunities in this coming game. The Chiefs defense is fraudulent and I need it exposed. 

I'm really excited for this one. The Chiefs have become like the AFC's Packers, and are going to be around the top for a while. I can't wait to see how we stack up. Hopefully we come out and smack them in the mouth.

Sucks Tim can't go again, if I'm being honest something about the situation feels weird. 

13 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I'm really excited for this one. The Chiefs have become like the AFC's Packers, and are going to be around the top for a while. I can't wait to see how we stack up. Hopefully we come out and smack them in the mouth.

Sucks Tim can't go again, if I'm being honest something about the situation feels weird. 

I just feel like Tim Williams must’ve gotten a high ankle sprain at some point. With how we constantly tried to hold down his snap count early on in the season regardless of his play and how he’s progressively gotten less and less time until and became less and less effective and we decided to hold him out completely.

Maybe he had a high ankle sprain sometime in camp, recovered enough to play through the pain and then re-sprained his ankle in season and now they’re just being very careful with him. But yeah, with each passing week, it does move into less of an injury situation and more into a “weird” situation.

Archived