Revisiting the Khalil Mack Trade

MacReady

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

You're right.

Gone are the days expecting to roll a six 16.67% of the time. We must demand at least 25%! 

Seriously ? I guess I thought there was a reason we had scouts and talent evaluators instead of throwing all the names in a hat and going the random route you're suggesting

18 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Seriously ? I guess I thought there was a reason we had scouts and talent evaluators instead of throwing all the names in a hat and going the random route you're suggesting

Yes seriously. The NFL is worth more than most countries. It would rank like 65th or something in the GDP list.

That means that this nearly $100 billion entity attracts talent. Talent that is spread pretty equally across 32 teams. The edges are thin. Thinking that "your team" is immune to the law of averages and the designed-in parity, is nonsensical. It's fanaticism. It's irrational.

This notion you put forward that it's some kinda "myth" that picking late in each round should have an impact is completely misguided and at odds with reality.

It would be nice if GB had the best of everything and was immune to reality. Unfortunately they're not.

• Like 1

On March 15, 2019 at 1:37 PM, vegas492 said:

You know I dig you.  And in that wager?  I think I'm the underdog.  And I relish that!  Let's roll with that and have some fun.

I should have known with a name like Vegas you would be in.  I didnt even think about that until now. LOL. 

I'd say good luck, but I hope I win. 

On 3/16/2019 at 1:46 PM, dll2000 said:

I should have known with a name like Vegas you would be in.  I didnt even think about that until now. LOL. 

I'd say good luck, but I hope I win. 

That's the difference, you hope to win.  I know I'll win!  :D

All kidding aside, no worries on the bet.  It'll be fun.  I still have money I took from a Bears fan over a bet a few years ago.  You may remember the game.  It was the NFC championship game in Chicago.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

I'm excited to watch @Outpost31 track Z Smith (and/or P Smith) vs Mack throughout 2019.

I suspect the production might not be that far off :)

I'm not even tracking that, I'm comparing the career outlook of 12th and 30th (or whatever those picks combine into) to 5 years of Mack. 

I know I have the right to use the cap space in my comparisons, but the biggest issue against the Mack trade was that draft capital.  In spite of my crestfallen proclamations of quitting football every time the Patriots win, I can't quit football.  Therefore, the mack thing, to me, was 4-5 years of Mack versus 20 years out of two first round picks. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 12:41 PM, topwop1 said:

I'm just having a hard time seeing why the Ravens wouldn't want to keep Smith if they thought he was worth the money after losing both Mosley and Suggs and having approximately $31M in cap space available.

Not saying Smith isn't a decent player but let's not act like he's any better than Clay or Perry when healthy.

Bump....

LOL.  

On 3/12/2019 at 12:22 PM, dll2000 said:

Mack isn't making roughly 53 million a year.  Plus they just converted his 2019 cap hit to 11.9.  You could have done same.   You would have room to sign like 3 of those guys plus have Mack.  

Mack plus Fackrell or Smith coming off edge changes everything for everyone.  Smith and Smith isn't nearly the same.  

Presence of Mack makes Amos "spatula hands" finally catch some INTs.  It made Fuller and Prince way better.  

You exchanged Matthews, Perry and Haha for Smiths and Amos and paid more.  Is that even much of an upgrade?  Not significantly.  

LOL!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, incognito_man said:

I'm excited to watch@Outpost31 track Z Smith (and/or P Smith) vs Mack throughout 2019.

I suspect the production might not be that far off :)

On 3/18/2019 at 10:47 AM, Outpost31 said:

I'm not even tracking that, I'm comparing the career outlook of 12th and 30th (or whatever those picks combine into) to 5 years of Mack. 

I know I have the right to use the cap space in my comparisons, but the biggest issue against the Mack trade was that draft capital.  In spite of my crestfallen proclamations of quitting football every time the Patriots win, I can't quit football.  Therefore, the mack thing, to me, was 4-5 years of Mack versus 20 years out of two first round picks. 

@Outpost31  You wanna keep track of this thing?

• Like 1