Are you worried about missing the playoffs?

TXsteeler

Are you worried about missing the playoffs?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are you worried about missing the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

I take back what i said, i agree with 43M, i do think our assistant LB coaches and Danny Smith will be fired at the end of the season regardless of the outcome of the season. The ST has been poorly coached for a long time and hasnt really improved with Smith. Porter was supposed to add grit to the LB Corps, that has not happened.

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I take back what i said, i agree with 43M, i do think our assistant LB coaches and Danny Smith will be fired at the end of the season regardless of the outcome of the season. The ST has been poorly coached for a long time and hasnt really improved with Smith. Porter was supposed to add grit to the LB Corps, that has not happened.

If Kevin Greene is available, they better sign him. I could see him being as valuable as Munchak, well almost B|

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Butler and Porter and the ST coach should all be replaced IMO.... Even if we make the playoffs. 

I wish they would have replaced the coaching staff last year. There is a logical, realistic reason to keep the defense in terms of players as is (largely) from last year to this year in hopes of progression from year 2-4 players. My issue is that our coaching staff has shown very little in terms of progressing and elevating the talent on that side of the football. This would have been a great year to change staff. If the play on the field isn’t elevated, it’s safe to say it’s firmly on the talent and you will have the opportunity to overhaul in 2019. If players like Burns, Davis, Hargrave, or Dupree take jumps — then you have a platform to move forward with. Now we are most likely going to need to transition coaches and players in the same year. 

Hargrave played well last year (if you don’t expect him to be Casey Hampton), but he seems to have taken a jump with the new DL coach. Even big dan elevated his play. I think we did a disservice to Dupree by sticking with Porter and I know Bradley has somewhat of a DB background, but I wonder if they should have found a more seasoned NFL coach. I get the feeling their is a bigger picture with Bradley, either as a potential future DC or just a veteran college eye as more and more offenses take college schemes. 

Butler routinely puts players in positions to defend their weaknesses. I understand that needs to happen from time to time, but we are continually put at a disadvantage before the snap. 

Everyone points to Munchak as some form of god. Good coaches maximize the talent of the players given. I just can’t think of one player in the back 8 of our defense that has taken any sort of jump in talent over the last handful of years. We need to flip that script to better understand what we have and it should have happened last year. 

the one constant with us under achieving is tomlin. never have i seen a coach do so little with so much come playoff time yes, his regular season record is great but his post season is substandard based on the regular season wins and talent level.

i think he was lucky to have the organization he has had to be successful . he woluldnt last long with a poor franchise. i believe his babble a has run its course and its time for a new young guy with some X and O's experience and desire is needed.

8 hours ago, muncher said:

the one constant with us under achieving is tomlin. never have i seen a coach do so little with so much come playoff time yes, his regular season record is great but his post season is substandard based on the regular season wins and talent level.

i think he was lucky to have the organization he has had to be successful . he woluldnt last long with a poor franchise. i believe his babble a has run its course and its time for a new young guy with some X and O's experience and desire is needed.

Umm....Ben has been a constant as well, and some of his shortcomings has held us back.

On top of that,  the fact that Tomlin has been able to maintain the level of success he has despite being one of the only constants is a credit to him, not a detriment.    Obviously Ben has played a part of that as well, but its funny how Tomlin haters blame him for everything, yet any success goes to Ben or whoever else they cherry pick to get credit over Tomlin.    

Steeler fans have unrealistic expectations.    The Patriots are the only team who have had notably more success than us over the last decade,  and theyve had notably more success than everyone else.    Our talent hasnt been as great over the years as some of you often act.    Yes, the offense has had enough talent, but our defense has drastically lacked in certain areas, and we havent been able to replace alot of the playmakers we lost from the late 2000s, nor have we had the defensive mind that LeBeau was back then.

There are obviously numerous things to dislike Tomlin for and I dont have any issue with some people wanting to move on.    What I do take issue with are people who unfairly knock on him.    Has some of his shortcomings held us back?   No doubt, but he sure as hell isnt the only thing that has held us back, and he has maintained a level of success that is underappreciated by many Steeler fans.   Aside from the Patriots, what teams have been consistently better than the Steelers in either the regular or postseason?   Hell,  even Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, etc....led teams havent had more consistent success than the Steelers during Tomlin's tenure.

Its not as easy to win SBs and maintain consistent success in the NFL as some fans seem to think.    Im definitely not saying Tomlin and the Steelers are beyond criticism, but you have to be objective about it.

Honestly, I think our best chance at the playoffs is the Ravens collapse. I think we could easily go 1-3 down the stretch, 2-2 being very likely. I definitely don’t see us winning out, or losing out for that matter. We have the offensive talent to hang with anyone but I still have little faith against New England and New Orleans. 

I mean come on, it’s the Patriots. We’re going to run a zone defense and Brady is going to surgically rip us apart. Only chance we have vs Gronk is if he gets injured, otherwise he will gouge us per the usual. I don’t even want to think about what the Saints backfield is about to do to our LBers. I expect to be thoroughly outcoached and outplayed in both of these games.

I imagine we will be heavy favorites vs the Raiders and Bengals. So what’s more powerful, Grudens tank job or our ability to down play to the competition? I really hope Gruden tanks hard enough but who knows. The Bengals? Sure look like we should win on paper. However, this is a divisional game and a loss here would likely send us packing in the playoff race. Either way the game will be fierce but the limping Bengals playing the spoiler roll would be a fitting end for this season. Lord knows Burfict will knock out one of our stars and impact our playoff run whether we win or lose the game. 

No one wants to meet us in the playoffs due to our potential when we aren’t shooting ourselves in the foot. Talent wise there isn’t a team that we can’t hang with. But coaching and execution will hinder us down the final stretch of the season and in the playoffs if we sneak our way in as Division winners.

I agree with 43 and Chief on their latest respective comments.

Tomlin often fails at clock management and I feel he has some short comings when it comes to making proper late game adjustments, i feel like Keenan Allen killing us could be a good example of that. But Ben constantly throwing picks has been a much bigger factor in our losses this season.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Umm....Ben has been a constant as well, and some of his shortcomings has held us back.

On top of that,  the fact that Tomlin has been able to maintain the level of success he has despite being one of the only constants is a credit to him, not a detriment.    Obviously Ben has played a part of that as well, but its funny how Tomlin haters blame him for everything, yet any success goes to Ben or whoever else they cherry pick to get credit over Tomlin.    

Steeler fans have unrealistic expectations.    The Patriots are the only team who have had notably more success than us over the last decade,  and theyve had notably more success than everyone else.    Our talent hasnt been as great over the years as some of you often act.    Yes, the offense has had enough talent, but our defense has drastically lacked in certain areas, and we havent been able to replace alot of the playmakers we lost from the late 2000s, nor have we had the defensive mind that LeBeau was back then.

There are obviously numerous things to dislike Tomlin for and I dont have any issue with some people wanting to move on.    What I do take issue with are people who unfairly knock on him.    Has some of his shortcomings held us back?   No doubt, but he sure as hell isnt the only thing that has held us back, and he has maintained a level of success that is underappreciated by many Steeler fans.   Aside from the Patriots, what teams have been consistently better than the Steelers in either the regular or postseason?   Hell,  even Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, etc....led teams havent had more consistent success than the Steelers during Tomlin's tenure.

Its not as easy to win SBs and maintain consistent success in the NFL as some fans seem to think.    Im definitely not saying Tomlin and the Steelers are beyond criticism, but you have to be objective about it.

nice response.

here's the short of it for me. when i look at the over all talent of the steelers the last decade and compare it to the rest of the afc, i rarely find more than a team or two that has more talent. in my eyes, that should mean they should be playing in the super bowl , afcc or divisional round. anything less than that is a fail. every player, except ben, is tomlins players now. when they weee successful early in tomlins career, he had mostly all cowhers players and cowhers coaches running cowhers defense and offense, since then, tomlin  has taken more control of the team and has failed in the post season, for whatever reason. 

tomlin has a regular season record and is consistently competitive, but i want and expect more in the post season. i understand most fans are satisfied with our post season history as long as we finish above .500 every year. i, however,  would be willing to gamble on a poor season or two, to get someone with an X and O mind, desire and a new rant that the guys arent tired of hearing. 

No, its not all Tomlins fault but his team gets a failing grade for what they achieved the past 5 or 6 seasons with the talent they have had and he is part of the problem.

Something like 3 - 8 in last 11 play-off games. Consistent lack of discipline leading to stupid penalties, consistently in the top of the league in

turning the ball over. Horrible game management in the last two minutes of both halves.Not putting a stop to the drama the last few years.

If they lose to New England - 4 -4 record at home.

We saw Harrison's comments last year after he went to New England (night and day how the way the two teams are run)

No, its not all Tomlin but alot of it is. The old saying you cant fire the team.............

1 hour ago, Lambert44 said:

No, its not all Tomlins fault but his team gets a failing grade for what they achieved the past 5 or 6 seasons with the talent they have had and he is part of the problem.

Something like 3 - 8 in last 11 play-off games. Consistent lack of discipline leading to stupid penalties, consistently in the top of the league in

turning the ball over. Horrible game management in the last two minutes of both halves.Not putting a stop to the drama the last few years.

If they lose to New England - 4 -4 record at home.

We saw Harrison's comments last year after he went to New England (night and day how the way the two teams are run)

No, its not all Tomlin but alot of it is. The old saying you cant fire the team.............

yup, im just ready for a change.

we've had plenty of time to see how far tomlin can take us with his own players, some of his own coaches and his defense and finesse offense.

its cool to say we are never below .500 with tomlin and are usually mentioned as super bowl contenders to start each year, but i need more

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with 43 and Chief on their latest respective comments.

Tomlin often fails at clock management and I feel he has some short comings when it comes to making proper late game adjustments, i feel like Keenan Allen killing us could be a good example of that. But Ben constantly throwing picks has been a much bigger factor in our losses this season.

Add to this Connor's injury, and we might lack a running game, but hopes are the RB by committee does enough.  Covering Allen with Bostic was a mismatch that inept coaching allows.  Ben OTOH is a mystery. HIs arm appears accurate on the long passes but he has these mental lapses where he throws picks or forgets awareness for some reason. That could be his way of showing he is near the end of his career because physically he can still throw about as good as he ever has and better than when he was injured in 2008 when we won the SB .

6 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think he is still on the Jets roster as a LB Coach.  If they turnover the staff, he might be an option. 

ok, fire their coach works for this

2 hours ago, Lambert44 said:

Be careful how much you criticize towline here, expect harsh responses:$.  

I am at the stage where tomlin isn't seen as the issue outside of some in game adjustments, and even that he might allow faith in his coordinators decide. Colbert has won some, but lost many, talent isn't appropriate, missing some pieces. Then Ben being near the end and showing this with some plays doesn't help.  Most obvious is what many have said, is that the D and the secondary in particular is in need of a repair.  

Does anyone really think we can defeat the top teams with his secondary? Only way is if we outscore them, and I can't remember winning a shootout with this team, ever now that I try to remember. If the oppsition has a good O( saints, pats, ) L, our D is having a bad day. 

Archived