Derwin James or DaRon Payne?

Umbaugh21

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809036-derwin-james-of-the-chargers-is-the-perfect-new-age-nfl-defender?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

I was one of the people lobbying the hardest for us to take Derwin James and then he actually fell to us and we did not... now I'm not saying that DaRon Payne hasn't been good to great for us. However, I don't believe you pass on a rare talent like Derwin James for a defensive tackle that can be found in just about every draft, sometimes in the second round. 

So what I want to ask you all now, is if you could turn back the hands of time. Who would you have picked at 13? Derwin James or DaRon Payne? Or maybe somebody else? 

Believe me I get the trenches argument. But you can still build trenches with free agency and day two draft picks. Mainly what I'm getting at is if you have a D lineman that really isn't that special from  other D lineman that we see every draft and then you have a guy that can lineup at 3 different positions on defense and excel at all of them... you take the guy that you only see once in every 5 drafts, especially when you can get him at 13. 

42 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Daron Payne is a special talent. The only reason this is even a topic is because James is in a position that makes more flash plays. We had quite possibly the best safety to every roam the field and we still sucked. 

Sucked on offense back then. Not so much on defense. For the undervaluing of Payne, from what I've seen he is a good d lineman. But I haven't seen him completely dominate a game like a Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald. Or blow up the line and get penatration as consistent as a Linval Joseph. I do believe he has had a good season and will be a good lineman for years to come. I don't believe he will ever be a top 5 at his position like a Derwin James who has the talent to be the best at his position.

Call me crazy, but I think Derwin James, Tremaine Edmonds (ILB) or Marcus Davenport would be better than where we are now IF (and only if) we still got Tim Settle in the 4th.

Then give me... I don’t know, Mason Rudolph in the 3rd...

That being said, I am pleasantly surprised with Payne’s play and I think he will be good for a long time.

Payne started off hot then cooled a little. It's been about an average pick. The Eagles game was disappointing for both Payne and Allen.  I'd say that Payne was the better selection than Vita Vea or Tremaine Edmunds but he has not been better than Derwin James or LVE.  Our defense would have been better with a LVE + BJ Hill combo in the 1st and 2nd last year.  Our FO isn't daring or creative to do a draft like that and I'm afraid our "wonderboy" Kyle Smith was involved.

This team hasn’t had homegrown stud defensive line talent since the 80’s and now we have 3, potentially 4 with Settle.. We need pass rushers badly and Swearinger is a hell of a safety. Look, I wanted James but Payne was my favorite player in the draft beyond Baker Mayfield. And Payne has delivered. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Payne was the right choice! The mistake was not trading Cousins to get a extra 1st round pick!!!! We had Swearinger so James wasn't a need! Payne was a need. 

Different positions, but I understand your thinking.

I am definitely not upset with the Payne pick. I just imagine what we could have done with better LB play or a true FS...

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Different positions, but I understand your thinking.

I am definitely not upset with the Payne pick. I just imagine what we could have done with better LB play or a true FS...

IMO Sweriger and James are both suited best at SS instead of FS so as I said we already had our SS in Sweriger. You see they Sweriger to SS once we got HA HA as our suppose FS. Ha Ha has been a huge disappointment to me! He can't tackle worth a lick!!!

Archived