Derwin James or DaRon Payne?

Umbaugh21

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

IMO Sweriger and James are both suited best at SS instead of FS so as I said we already had our SS in Sweriger. You see they Sweriger to SS once we got HA HA as our suppose FS. Ha Ha has been a huge disappointment to me! He can't tackle worth a lick!!!

I think Derwin can play SS,  but I think he belongs at FS, where the Chargers are playing him.

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/lac

Not From what I've seen or what the lineup says but ok. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/derwinjames/2560760/profile

I guess it depends on what site you go to. I’ve seen him mostly operating as the single-high safety (or Free Safety). 

Not worth arguing, but simply put, his range and ball-hawking abilities would have done wonders next to DJ.

He isn’t here and Da’Ron Payne is, and I am not at all upset.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Or we could have not given up a third rounder for Alex Smith and drafted Eddie Jackson with it.

Eddie Jackson is not a rookie. This is his second year. But I did really want me some Eddie. I was high on him. So something more appropriate for that would be not take Ryan Anderson and get Eddie.

8 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Sucked on offense back then. Not so much on defense. For the undervaluing of Payne, from what I've seen he is a good d lineman. But I haven't seen him completely dominate a game like a Fletcher Cox, Aaron Donald. Or blow up the line and get penatration as consistent as a Linval Joseph. I do believe he has had a good season and will be a good lineman for years to come. I don't believe he will ever be a top 5 at his position like a Derwin James who has the talent to be the best at his position.

Welp, 3-4 nose tackles hardly ever make the stat sheet, and if they did, they aren't really doing their job.  Their job is to take the double teams in the middle, to prevent the linemen from getting to the second level and blocking linebackers, thereby allowing them to make plays along the line of scrimmage.  

DaRon Payne, meanwhile, is not just a 3-4 nose tackle, who plays in 30-40% of the snaps.  We're talking about a guy who can also play defensive end in the 3-4, as well as play both interior line positions when running a four man front.  He's a true three-down lineman, in a league that is becoming increasingly specialized in terms of roles and responsibilities on both sides of the football.  

Build along the trenches is a sound strategy, especially on defense right now.  The more spread concepts are being introduced, the more important it is to have a pass rush that is consistent at building pressure, and doing that with only the down linemen to allow the rest of the team to drop into coverage.  

6 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Eddie Jackson is not a rookie. This is his second year. But I did really want me some Eddie. I was high on him. So something more appropriate for that would be not take Ryan Anderson and get Eddie.

Definitely with you, I wanted Eddie Jackson too and I still believe in Nicholson too. His sophomore year hasn’t gone as well as I thought it would but he still has a lot of talent and potential.

Archived