WR Emmanuel Sanders tears Achilles, on IR

Broncofan

28 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Why is it a foregone conclusion that the new HC will get his guy immediately? The job still has appeal even without assurances that DEN goes QB early in the '19 draft.

I guess I'm asking why couldn't there be an agreement that the new HC will get his guy..  but that the realities of the '19 draft aren't favorable on the QB front-  a la Kyle Shannahan taking the HC job in SF after the '16 season

It could definitely go that way - NYG did the same with Fritz Shurmur.   There’s just a greater risk a new HC won’t want to wait.    The diff with SF/Shanahan though is that was seen as a 3+ year rebuild so getting QB year 1 wasn’t seen as necessary to take a huge step forward - unless the guy was a franchise type guy.  We clearly are further along now than a 3+ year rebuild.  

VJ being retained  it’s more likely the status quo at QB is held without a big investment as the FO would be saying 2019 is win now (and also likely saying in private if VJ goes better if the next HC picks his guy).  Given the injuries now it’s certaunly a message they can sell (I still don’t see legit contention without a real upgrade at QB / O output but it’s not hard to sell that message even if it’s a mirage).  

Back to Sanders & our WR - no surprise, Holmes likely will be inactive this week.   Needs time to incorporate the playbook. Honestly even if they struggle we are better off letting the kids play and learn.  Win or lose it’s about developing the kids now; frankly it’s why we are succeeding but shouldn’t change the plan to go young to help us long term first and foremost.   

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

VJ being retained  it’s more likely the status quo at QB is held without a big investment as the FO would be saying 2019 is win now (and also likely saying in private if VJ goes better if the next HC picks his guy).  

Oh I agree  -- my point was that the  "if we fire VJ we'll have to spend an early pick on a QB this year because a new HC will want his guy - so let's not fire VJ"  line of thinking seems like a false binary. 

The new HC will be as wary as anyone about spending an early pick on a QB who isn't the answer. 

Archived