DEN WR Emmanuel Sanders tears Achilles, placed on IR

Broncofan

3 major fallout pieces:

1.  First off, DEN's return to possible contention in 2019 (yes, I said 2018 - we were getting rolled if we somehow made it to 2018 WC #6 spot) - dead in the water IMO.   QB Keenum is a horror show, and the hope was just to make him a game manager and let the talent around him overcome his weaknesses, until we could get a real QB sometime in 2019-20 (2020 better IMO, the 2019 draft class QB at top end is a big no-thanks for who we can realistically get).    But losing Sanders is a HUGE problem - WR Courtland Sutton is a great #2 to develop, but he's too raw to beat top CB's, and D's can really look to take him out of games.   Our 4th round pick DeSean Hamilton is a great future talent - but needs time.  We are really, really screwed for 2019.   Sanders was a UFA in 2020, and that would have been a perfect time to let him walk - now, our 2019 plans are really hosed with no true WR1 to let Sutton/Hamilton develop.  I think there's a very good chance we dive into WR Rd1-2 now just like we hit Sutton Rd2 last year.

2.  For Sanders, who will be 32 next year - his 2019 salary isn't guaranteed for injury.   So I think he's a roster casualty.   And at that age, real possibility he's done.  Talk about improved outcomes with Achilles applies if you are in HS or your early 20's.   In 30's, the outcomes are still awful.     He likely never gets the same level of explosion back.   Wow, feel awful for him. 

3.  Because of #1 and #2 - I think Vance Joseph will have enough cover with our 6-6 record and improbable 3-game winning streak (for which probably should never have won the first 2 save for a 6-0 TO margin advantage vs. PIT & LAC and some incredibly horrific time management and game-calling by LAC).      Now it will be said that our O underperformed with DT traded and losing Sanders.   Given we likely aren't going to hit QB hard until 2020, it's not a great result IMO, but I'd rather we don't panic and reach too early for QB in Rd1 2019, and wait for 2020 - where we are likely only truly able to contend now anyways.  So, VJ isn't a good HC - but might as well not get a new HC who suddenly wants a Rd1 QB either - from who we'd be picking, that would be 100x worse (Paxton Lynch V2 again, no thanks). 

Still, it's a bad day for DEN fans, not just short-term, but long-term.   UGH.

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

That would destroy any playoff hopes they had left. That's a bummer, especially with it happening in December. He'll probably miss a good chunk of next season as well.

It's a cold business - but DEN probably will release Sanders.   AT nearly 9M saved and no injury guarantee, it's a nobrainer.   10-12 month recovery before you get full explosion, and a near certainty #10 at his age won't have his prior levels of explosion (Steve Smith is the only guy late in his career who returned and still played well, and he wasn't the same - just had more reserve to work with than Sanders and others typically do - and I love me some #10).

8 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Prediction: About half of the posts in this thread will be aboit fantasy football (including this one).

Time for Courtland Sutton to shine! (in fantasy football)

your post was the first one about fantasy, so well done.

Sucks for Emmanuel. Crazy that Sherman was able to play 10 months after tearing his Achilles, so maybe Emmanuel can still play next year 

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well it's official - must have an Achilles tear, straight to IR.  But hey, we get Andre Holmes...so we're good, right? 

latest?cb=20150201190229

No Kelvin Benjamin, I see. So, could be worse.

Honestly, horrible blow to Denver. They were starting to ramp up, losing Sanders is going to kill that momentum.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

No Kelvin Benjamin, I see. So, could be worse.

Honestly, horrible blow to Denver. They were starting to ramp up, losing Sanders is going to kill that momentum.

The killer isn't even this year, it extends to 2019.  Given what we know about Achilles recovery in 30+ year olds, they don't return to their prior level of explosion.   For some guys like Steve Smith and Richard Sherman, they're good enough pre-injury, being near-elite or elite, that they just drop off to good players.  But not the same.

I love Sanders, but he's not elite anymore, and probably was never at that level.  So a drop-off in explosion for him is devastating.  And given it takes 10-12 months to have full return of whatever new level of explosion you retain...man, this kills us next year.   It's one thing to have Sutton be our #2 guy in the X, and DeSean Hamilton learn as our slot guy and clear #3.   But moving both up is a huge problem.  The plan was to let Sanders walk after 2019.   Man.

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Prediction: About half of the posts in this thread will be aboit fantasy football (including this one).

I’m guessing the opposite happens - that Sutton struggles more with defenses not having to worry about sanders now. 

8 hours ago, childofpudding said:

They traded DT and then lost Sanders. Are the reserves on the roster going to help the Broncos win out and get into the post season? I like the idea of RB Lindsay getting more carries and the D stepping up, but that rarely is allowed in the nfl anymore since everyone wants to be pass happy.

9 hours ago, titanrick said:

I’m guessing the opposite happens - that Sutton struggles more with defenses not having to worry about sanders now. 

Maybe. I think defenses will key on stopping the run game even more now, and make Keenum beat them. Probably a lot of 8-man boxes. If Sutton matches up against a dynamite #1 CB, then yeah, he could struggle. So could Sanders. But I think it's an almost certainty that he'll get more targets abd his production will go up.

As much as I have criticized Denver for their recent drafts, they looked to have nailed this recent one. Plus they signed Lindsay. Rooks to carry the offense the rest of the way. I'd expect Freeman to get even more touches also.

Archived