XFL names eight cities for new franchises

ET80

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25460216/los-angeles-new-york-eight-cities-new-xfl

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Los Angeles, the New York-New Jersey metropolitan area and Dallas were among the eight cities and venues chosen to be the home sites when the XFL launches its inaugural season in February 2020.

Commissioner and chief executive Oliver Luck also said there will be franchises in Houston, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa and Washington when the league kicks off the weekend of Feb. 8-9.

Houston, eh?

Just now, BigMountainGoat said:

Will the Los Angeles team have more or less home fans attending each game than the Chargers?

They will def have more fans than the Chargers since the L.A. Raider fans can be fans of both the Raiders and the new XFL team. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The NFL fanbases of those teams will still support the XFL teams. They just won’t support two NFL teams. 

Yeah, I think this is it. Pretty loyal fans in each area, but now they're branded as complimentary football vs competitive football.

They're trying to get the diehards in the area who are reluctant to pick up basketball or hockey after the SB...

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The NFL fanbases of those teams will still support the XFL teams. They just won’t support two NFL teams. 

Is there anything that backs this up, though? Like have NFL fans previously given the XFL/AFL money for their teams in conjunction with their NFL teams? I feel like if I lived in Seattle, for example, I would go to Seahawks games but not XFL games.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Is there anything that backs this up, though? Like have NFL fans previously given the XFL/AFL money for their teams in conjunction with their NFL teams? I feel like if I lived in Seattle, for example, I would go to Seahawks games but not XFL games.

Yes, fans have loyalty to a team in one league. Most Raider/49er fans I knew were all San Francisco Demon Fans back in the day. Personally it was a rare scenario for me that I chose the Chicago Enforcers. Love that name. 

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't think we've ever been in a spot where either league positioned itself as a compliment to the NFL. IIRC, both leagues tried to go heads up with the NFL.

I'm absolutely going to a Houston XFL game.

Archived