Paul Goldschmidt traded to St. Louis

CWood21

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Waiting for a cwood meltdown.

Really have no issues with this deal.  Didn't deal any of their MLB-ready arms who figure to be a part of our core moving forward.  Alex Reyes and Jack Flaherty were clearly off the table, and Jordan Hicks probably was as well.  Luke Weaver fell off the face of the earth this season, and is a BOR starter at best.  Probably more of a long reliever.  His stuff probably plays up better out of the bullpen.  Carson Kelly is going to be a damn good defensive catcher.  But will he hit enough?  The emergence of Andrew Knizner and Molina's contract made Kelly extra.  Andy Young is a career AAAA player.  Honestly, the comp pick is really the only part I'm not pleased with losing.  But just lock up Goldschmidt and I'm good.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Really have no issues with this deal.  Didn't deal any of their MLB-ready arms who figure to be a part of our core moving forward.  Alex Reyes and Jack Flaherty were clearly off the table, and Jordan Hicks probably was as well.  Luke Weaver fell off the face of the earth this season, and is a BOR starter at best.  Probably more of a long reliever.  His stuff probably plays up better out of the bullpen.  Carson Kelly is going to be a damn good defensive catcher.  But will he hit enough?  The emergence of Andrew Knizner and Molina's contract made Kelly extra.  Andy Young is a career AAAA player.  Honestly, the comp pick is really the only part I'm not pleased with losing.  But just lock up Goldschmidt and I'm good.

lol this was the package you offered if the DBacks threw in Greinke and the Cardinals threw in Fowler.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

lol this was the package you offered if the DBacks threw in Greinke and the Cardinals threw in Fowler.

Lulz.

Carson Kelly (51-75 Hitter): $24.1M
Dakota Hudson (76-100 Pitcher): $15.1M
Luke Weaver (76-100 Pitcher): $15.1M

That was the package I suggested in a Goldy/Greinke for Fowler/Prospects swap.  And I mentioned that the Cardinals would need to add more.  And you said that a package would have to start with Reyes/Gorman, neither of which were dealt.  So is Greinke's contract really all that more attractive than Fowler?  It's better, but let's stop pretending like Greinke is this super valuable commodity.

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That seems about right for 1 year of Goldy.  The comp pick inclusion makes it reasonable.  I wouldn't hate for them to sign him to a monster extension as a 31 year old 1B, either.

They don't have anyone coming in the forseeable future (Dylan Carlson was still manning CF somehow...), and Matt Carpenter is only signed through 2020.  I think the "closest" legitimate 1B prospect they have is Luken Baker, and if they sign Goldy long-term Baker becomes a valuable trading chip.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:
8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Lulz.

Carson Kelly (51-75 Hitter): $24.1M
Dakota Hudson (76-100 Pitcher): $15.1M

That was the package I suggested in a Goldy/Greinke for Fowler/Prospects swap.  And I mentioned that the Cardinals would need to add more.  And you said that a package would have to start with Reyes/Gorman, neither of which were dealt.  So is Greinke's contract really all that more attractive than Fowler?  It's better, but let's stop pretending like Greinke is this super valuable commodity.

Yep, exactly what I said. You thought the price on just Goldy would be the same as getting Greinke at like $50M for 3 years because you unload Fowler's deal. This deal has you give up just about the same package and you only get 1 of the 3 things your offer wanted back.

You completely hyped up a nonsense offer that wasn't even close and were complete wrong. Again.

Also, lulz at this:

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Luke Weaver fell off the face of the earth this season, and is a BOR starter at best.  Probably more of a long reliever.

Luke Weaver must have had a pretty rough week to go from $15M asset to long reliever.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They don't have anyone coming in the forseeable future (Dylan Carlson was still manning CF somehow...), and Matt Carpenter is only signed through 2020.  I think the "closest" legitimate 1B prospect they have is Luken Baker, and if they sign Goldy long-term Baker becomes a valuable trading chip.

Montero will be a 1B and Gorman likely ends up there as well.  Very possible one of these guys is ready by 2021.  

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, exactly what I said. You thought the price on just Goldy would be the same as getting Greinke at like $50M for 3 years because you unload Fowler's deal. This deal has you give up just about the same package and you only get 1 of the 3 things your offer wanted back.

You completely hyped up a nonsense offer that wasn't even close and were complete wrong. Again.

You're the one who said the Cardinals would have to give up the farm in order to get Goldy/Greinke while giving up Fowler, not me.  Unless you truly believe the difference between Greinke and Fowler is Gorman+Reyes, you were wrong.  I wasn't right either, but that doesn't change the fact that I wasn't talking purely about a Goldy deal.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Luke Weaver must have had a pretty rough week to go from $15M asset to long reliever.

More or less has to do with who is ahead of him on the organizational depth chart.  You can plug him into the back of the rotation and be okay.  You might not love the idea, but it's there.  Right now, Carlos Martinez and Miles Mikolas are locks as is Jack Flaherty.  As long as Michael Wacha is under contract, he's probably in the rotation as well.  So then you're getting into Adam Wainwright, Dakota Hudson, Alex Reyes, Luke Weaver, etc.  Is Weaver clearly better than those guys?  No.  Does that make him worthless?  Absolutely not.

Just now, CWood21 said:

You're the one who said the Cardinals would have to give up the farm in order to get Goldy/Greinke while giving up Fowler, not me.  Unless you truly believe the difference between Greinke and Fowler is Gorman+Reyes, you were wrong.  I wasn't right either, but that doesn't change the fact that I wasn't talking purely about a Goldy deal.

This is rich. Because the hypothetical deal didn't happen, even though you were wildly low on the price of Goldschmidt, I was wrong too for pricing him higher...for...reasons.

Archived