Williams vs. Sua Filo Discussion

The_Slamman

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/12/05/film-room-connor-williams-deserves-start-xavier-sua-filo-lg-cowboys?f=r

interesting article here.   I’m usually in the camp of keeping Sua FILO starting unless he really starts messing up.  But, I do recognize that he’s got some pass blocking limitations.  But the running game has improved so much since he’s been starting.  Some of that may also be due to change in OL coach and schematic changes as well.  But, Dak is getting sacked a ton.  He’s the most sacked QB in the NFL.  

How much does improved run game have to do w/ Sua FILO playing vs change in coaching?  

How much is Sua Filo contributing to pass blocking deficits vs other factors?

• We are down the Beard - which has allowed Jumbo Joe to get valuable time.
  • Lee has been injured - which has allowed LVE to get valuable time.
  • We changed our OL Coach Mid-Season - which has limited cohesion.
  • We have missed D.I. - which has allowed us to see Woods & Collins thrive.
  • We just acquired Cooper - so he has no idea how to really connect with Dak.

Which is to say, in large part this season has seen a lot of growth of a lot of players - but we are essentially playing with House Money. So I am all about playing the long game with Williams. If he is better now, and it won't negatively impact him for future seasons - GREAT! Start him. But I think it is best in the long-haul that we let XSF continue to start while Williams continues to develop. 

I remember William's having trouble in the passing game too. The only part that I think he is better than XSF is pulling because he is so quick/fast. But he struggled in past protection mightily while our unit struggled as a whole on the ground while he was in.

He's a rookie 2nd rounder, not a top 10 pick. Let him sit. He'll only get bigger and stronger, and hopefully win the job convincingly next training camp.

They blame that last gif on XSF LOL.... Dak has to get rid of that ball. He has plenty of time and bolted in a clean pocket. Probably should have hit Zeke coming across the field.

Neither William's or XSF are great, and Dak has to get better

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

They blame that last gif on XSF LOL.... Dak has to get rid of that ball. He has plenty of time and bolted in a clean pocket. Probably should have hit Zeke coming across the field.

You've done it now. You're in trrroooouuubbbbllle.

Im indifferent. Connor is young and could spend a year in the weight room while refining his technique. He dropped to the 2nd because of his drawbacks but many people mocked him to the Top 10 for most of the year and that's because of his outstanding upside. We've seen lesser physical specimans become pro bowlers at Guard and even LT. So i'm fine with XSF starting but I sure as hell haven't given up on Connor yet. People seem to think part of Tyron's struggles have been because of Connor but lets be honest Tyron has been struggling in general so it's not like Connor had a huge safety blanket over there to make up for his bad play. I am still a firm believer he can be a pro bowl LG in the same mold of a certain other Guard I was clamoring for back in 2012 that we ignored. Hint he plays for the Steelers now.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Even with the clip at your disposal you somehow manage to misdiagnose it.

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

That last sack was just damn good defense all around.  Nobody was open and good pressure along the DL.  But Sua Filo was on roller skates.

The average time to throw in the NFL is well under 3 seconds. From the time of snap to the time Dak decided to run was over 3 seconds.  I'm not sure how you or anyone can watch that gif and think, "man what great pressure by the DL!"

Everyone on the DL is stonewalled until Dak has made it all the way through his progressions.

It was good coverage though.

I'm not saying it could have been a TD and Dak missed it. It just seems kinda silly to blame that sack on XSF, after the initial protection was just fine, and the guy didn't sack Dak until he ran by him and nearly got back to the LOS.

28 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I'm not saying it could have been a TD and Dak missed it. It just seems kinda silly to blame that sack on XSF, after the initial protection was just fine, and the guy didn't sack Dak until he ran by him and nearly got back to the LOS.

If you want to blame someone, make it SL. Do you see all the WRs stop at their spot? Thats poor coaching. 

Archived