2019 Mock Offseason version 1.0

jetskid007

A few explanations... 

• Coaching Staff 
    • I've spoken at length about John Harbaugh. I truly believe he'll be our next HC. 
    • Kubiak is rumored to want to return to coaching, but as a coordinator only. He's worked with John in Baltimore, and a lot of our offensive staff stems straight from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree. 
    • The most interesting move is Jeremy Bates back to QB coach. It was rumored last year that Bates truly didn't want to make the shift to OC, rather was smitten as a QB coach, but ultimately did so to the satisfaction of the Jets organization as they hold him in high regard. In this situation, the Jets give him a raise (you read that right) to stay aboard as the QB coach and assistant HC. This gives him the opportunity to do what he always wanted: focus on the QB position and teaching Darnold the fundamentals of the game. 
    • The defensive side of the staff will undergo a total makeover with a staggering 3 former HCs and a future Hall of Famer.
  • Free Agency
    • A lot of our re-signings are predictable. Maybe a little too much money for Quincy, but we'll see. 
    • Le'Veon becomes the highest paid RB in history. 
    • The Jets reload the OL.
    • A few former Ravens are added to the defense. Smith has been one of the most productive pass rushers in the NFL this season despite only 6.5 sacks (17 hits). 
    • Schaub comes in as a backup. 
  • Trades
    • Sanu has had a rock-solid career and kind of fits in as an upgrade over Kearse. 
    • Sanders obviously just tore his achilles and will be on the brink of being healthy at the start of the season. It's not a good trade, but one I see the Jets making due to how poor the WR group is in FA. Sanders is a veteran that should help Darnold and the rest of the offense when healthy despite his age. Although he has a high salary figure, the Jets have so much money they have to spend that it won't make a difference to them. 
  • Draft
    • The huge move is nabbing an additional 2nd next year. We may have built through FA in 2019, but 2020 we will be stocked with two 1st round picks. 
    • I'm not making the Rashan Gary pick because of Harbaugh; he was a player I circled months ago as a possible Jet given the position he plays, his potential, and him being a Jersey native. I think he's arguably a top 5 talent in this class, but given he lacks a "pure" position, he could fall out of the top 10 into the Jets laps. 
    • DK Metcalf is my top WR in the class so it may be a little biased, however, I can't remember a WR with the lack of production/injury history that went round 1 (maybe Reggie Wayne?). For that reason, I think he falls to round 2. 
    • Round 3 is all about building line depth. Scharping is an analytics dream and could be a steal as a pass protector. 

Also: whether or not you like all the moves, this group certainly improves the skill positions in the short term to aid with Darnold's development... 

• Losses: Bilal Powell, Jermaine Kearse
  • Gains: Le'Veon Bell (FA), Emmanuel Sanders (trade), Mohamed Sanu (trade), DK Metcalf (draft) 

Possible the Jets will re-visit the idea of trading Anderson in this scenario, but for now I think they focus on being 4 deep at receiver with Metcalf somewhat of a redshirt 5th receiver. 

8 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

This was awesome. Ton of effort and time you put into it. Truly excellent. Would be really happy with all this. If a majority of this happens, we may actually get back to a winning record! Terrific stuff as always @jetskid007

Thanks, been tweaking it for a bit but figured might as well put it out there with a quarter left in the season. Will be interested to see what I hit on.

I like most of what you’ve come up with except for Gary. I understand your logic but taking another interior DLman would make me scream. If we traded Williams for a late 1st or 2nd round pick, it would make sense but otherwise I would take the best OL or Edge available

I'll start by saying I love the moves and the end roster.

I just question how realistic it is. For starters the trades for the WRs I think wont happen. Metcalf falling that far I don't see happening either (even with some question marks about his health). My other gripe is drafting Gary. Where are we playing him? We need an edge rusher and he's not exactly that. Zadarius Smith is ok, but far from that great edge rusher we've been craving. Gary doesn't offer that either. We'd be in the same position on the DL. A bunch of athletic big guys but no speed edge guys. So I don't like drafting Gary at all really.

The things I do like is getting Bell for starters. Rebuilding the OL through FA and the draft. I like the WR additions I just (like I stated) don't see them being realistic. Sanders is great... but for a 5th? I doubt that's all it will take. Sanu's trade is a bit more realistic. And I don't find drafting Metcalf at 41 realistic either. So in theory I like what you did, I just don't see it happening. The other thing to touch on at WR is I love that you addressed it... but probably our most talented (long term) WR would be 5th on the depth chart in this situation. (1.Sanders 2.Enunwa 3.Anderson 4.Sanu 5.Metcalf) When if we draft a guy like Metcalf and he's really the only one with Darnold for a long time. I'd like for him to at least be 3 or 4 on the depth chart to get snaps. I know that can happen and he can easily bypass guys like Sanu and others. But that will be hard to do working with the backups most the time.

Overall I love the direction you went. I'd just like to see less trades (bc I find the more trades the less realistic the offseason).

Really solid offseason if we can pull it off.  I really prefer that Mac was canned other than that I love the positions you addressed and like the JH for HC addition.

Sanu is a really nice WR trade target actually and can see that, Sanders not so much as I'd like the young guy to get some snaps over a 30+ year old WR to develop.  Metcalf is probably the best WR in this class so if we can land him round 2 consider me thrilled.  Harmon is another guy that is a late 1st early second round range WR who I really love should Metcalf be off the board.

Love the trade down unless we can land Bosa.

55 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

There’s language in Sanders contract allows them to actually cut him without much repercussion. If that’s the case, we’ll sign him as a FA

Why would he choose here is then my question? Bc of Kubiak at OC given your offseason?

I'll add that the Sanders you might be thinking we're getting probably wont be the same Sanders. He just tore his Achilles and will be 32.

Fantastic Write up as usual and I like it overall but just have a few gripes. As Bobby has stated I’m not a huge Sanders fan at this point because of his age and now is coming off a major injury(happened post mock so no biggie), would rather Roll out with Quincy, Anderson, Sanu, Metcalf, Burnett, Roberts in this scenario. Personally don’t believe Metcalf would be there but would love maybe landing Hollywood Brown or maybe Kelvin Harmon there if available. In regards to the Gary pick I understand how he would fit, he’d play the TSizzle role as a sort of Hybrid OLB/5tech at times my question is who else do you see being available there? If Josh Allen or Montez Sweat we’re available there I would be pretty upset as I believe they’ll both be better pass rushers than him at the next level.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Why would he choose here is then my question? Bc of Kubiak at OC given your offseason?

I'll add that the Sanders you might be thinking we're getting probably wont be the same Sanders. He just tore his Achilles and will be 32.

I never make my mocks based on what I would do. If that were the case, I would go full on Madden mode and trade our 1st for Mike Evans. 

Instead, I’m connecting the dots here. 1) Jets are known for having one of the best medical staffs and training facilities in the NFL. 2) yes, Kubiak is a link. Sanders knows him and his offense well. 3) he comes in as the “veteran leader type” that we thought we had in Kearse. 4) the jets have money and will likely pay more for him given the current state of WRs in FA. 5) I don’t disagree that it’s not a great signing, but I think it’ll happen. It’ll be a situation where the Jets will aid him through his rehab (see Teddy B) and hopefully he’ll be ready to play. If not, they’ll hold him out for a bit and accept the added boost when he’s ready to return. 

24 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Fantastic Write up as usual and I like it overall but just have a few gripes. As Bobby has stated I’m not a huge Sanders fan at this point because of his age and now is coming off a major injury(happened post mock so no biggie), would rather Roll out with Quincy, Anderson, Sanu, Metcalf, Burnett, Roberts in this scenario. Personally don’t believe Metcalf would be there but would love maybe landing Hollywood Brown or maybe Kelvin Harmon there if available. In regards to the Gary pick I understand how he would fit, he’d play the TSizzle role as a sort of Hybrid OLB/5tech at times my question is who else do you see being available there? If Josh Allen or Montez Sweat we’re available there I would be pretty upset as I believe they’ll both be better pass rushers than him at the next level.

The problem is that's kinda what Zadarius Smith is. If we were getting a speed edge rusher in FA Gary would make more sense.

34 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The problem is that's kinda what Zadarius Smith is. If we were getting a speed edge rusher in FA Gary would make more sense.

Not sure he would I’m pretty sure he plays a more traditional 3-4 Edge role compared to Suggs’ hybrid Edge/DL role and I don’t think our Defense would be built on speed but more so Physicality, which is what the Ravens Defense has been built on for years.

Archived