2019 Mock Offseason version 1.0

jetskid007

14 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I think a lot of you are making assumptions on Gary simply because of how he's used in college and what his weight is listed as. I get Aldon Smith vibes out of him. He is a freak athlete. He hustles. Can bend and is explosive. I don't see how you can think this guy lacks speed... Will likely be around 273 lbs. The sky is the limit for Gary, but between his "flex" usage in college and that he's still a bit raw. It won't shock me if he ultimately goes top 5. 

The thing is he’d be great to have at that size if he had the athletic ability of guys like Clowney, Garrett and Chubb at that size. But I see him as a step behind those guys. Putting him in that no mans land category of is he and Edge rusher or is he an athletic 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. And we’ve drafted too many of those that have failed (Mo, Sheldon, Coples, Leo).

7 hours ago, Rich51 said:

No doubt that he is talented and at 273-280s he could be a dominant 43DE. However everything I saw indicates he has played at 280-290 both in HS and college. My thoughts are that he will probably enter the NFL closer to the 290s than 270s. 

According to Detroit sportswriter, Gary started this season at 288. http://www.diehardsport.com/college-football/michigan/rashan-gary-added-quite-bit-weight-frame/

In HS he was weighed at 287 in his Junior year. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/4/10833200/rashan-gary-recruit-michigan and Rivals had him as 290 in his senior year https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/rashan-gary-91

I guess we’ll know more after we get his measurables and test results at the combine.

I’m saying that Michigan asked him to play a position in college that he’s probably not going to aim to play in the pros. Not much different than Devin Funchess (TE-to-WR). His talent suggests he can be an every down player at multiple spots in the NFL and slimming down will be in his best interest. My guess is you’ll see him in the 270s at the combine, but we will see. 

Not saying they’re on the same talent level, but Clowney hovered around 280-285 and since has aimed to stay lean in the pros (265-270).

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Rashan Gary already looking much thinner

Its the smartest thing he can do. Really thin out and add speed. Then he could be an option as a edge guy. I just think he at his in season weight was kinda in no mans land like a Coples type guy (without the height). Where they not fast enough for the edge, but too small to play as a 3-4 DE. The more I think about it... I want us switching to a 4-3. Leo and Anderson at DT and getting 2 new edges if the value is there (Jenkins can play there if needed).

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Its the smartest thing he can do. Really thin out and add speed. Then he could be an option as a edge guy. I just think he at his in season weight was kinda in no mans land like a Coples type guy (without the height). Where they not fast enough for the edge, but too small to play as a 3-4 DE. The more I think about it... I want us switching to a 4-3. Leo and Anderson at DT and getting 2 new edges if the value is there (Jenkins can play there if needed).

4-3/3-4 means nothing anymore. Neary half the time we’re playing a 4-3 with Adams lined up as an OLB. 

What’s important is the Jets need an additional player (preferably 2) who can get to the QB. Jenkins/Luvu/Copeland should not be our top 3. Whether we sign two free agents, sign one and draft one, or draft two it doesn’t matter to me- but the focus needs to be improving the rotation.  

Archived