Rams @ Bears IGT Dec 9th on the Lake Front

WindyCity

Just now, dll2000 said:

Getting Talib back changes their defense quite a bit for the better.

Absolutely, but I'd be targeting Marcus Peters anyway.  For as much as he has a nose for the ball he also tends to give up a lot of big plays.  He's also coming off an injury.

Nagy would best serve the offense by getting Cohen matched up against the Rams LB's.  If there's any weakness in that Rams defense it's in the middle and Cohen is an absolute baller.  What a find by Pace in the 4th round.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Absolutely, but I'd be targeting Marcus Peters anyway.  For as much as he has a nose for the ball he also tends to give up a lot of big plays.  He's also coming off an injury.

Nagy would best serve the offense by getting Cohen matched up against the Rams LB's.  If there's any weakness in that Rams defense it's in the middle and Cohen is an absolute baller.  What a find by Pace in the 4th round.

Peters has been not good.  Rams have been keystone cops on back end of defense in many games.  

Cohen vs LBs is almost always the match up this season.  Most teams don't have cover LBs.  But you are right it is glaring here. More so than against most teams.  

Here is positive and negative thing:

I don't think Robinson is Robinson yet coming off his injury although he has shown flashes, Miller and MT (essentially) are still rookies and Gabriel is running actual read routes and full tree for first time in his career instead of just 9 routes and posts.  Burton isn't cut out for 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB) because he is too small and not physical, he is/was meant to be featured in 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2WR) with a big TE (Shaheen).  They have also had very little standard running game to keep defense honest.  I think some of that goes back to not wanting to run a FB and losing Shaheen. 

Even with that Bears are scoring more points than they have in a long time and have looked outstanding at times.  It's really quite amazing.  Nagy is working miracles with limited time and reps.  Next season is very encouraging.  Really hope all these guys seize the moment and hook up in offseason to work on things.  Not sure they realize that their window could open and close very quickly.  Would especially benefit Shaheen.

Would be nice if Bears can find another big TE too.  Obviously been a weak point they mistakenly thought was a strength.  Going to tell more and more in bad weather games.  They are going to lack offensive physicality.  

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Peters has been not good.  Rams have been keystone cops on back end of defense in many games.  

Cohen vs LBs is almost always the match up this season.  Most teams don't have cover LBs.  But you are right it is glaring here. More so than against most teams.  

Here is positive and negative thing:

I don't think Robinson is Robinson yet coming off his injury although he has shown flashes, Miller and MT (essentially) are still rookies and Gabriel is running actual read routes and full tree for first time in his career instead of just 9 routes and posts.  Burton isn't cut out for 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB) because he is too small and not physical, he is/was meant to be featured in 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2WR) with a big TE (Shaheen).  They have also had very little standard running game to keep defense honest.  I think some of that goes back to not wanting to run a FB and losing Shaheen. 

Even with that Bears are scoring more points than they have in a long time and have looked outstanding at times.  It's really quite amazing.  Nagy is working miracles with limited time and reps.  Next season is very encouraging.  Really hope all these guys seize the moment and hook up in offseason to work on things.  Not sure they realize that their window could open and close very quickly.  Would especially benefit Shaheen.

Would be nice if Bears can find another big TE too.  Obviously been a weak point they mistakenly thought was a strength.  Going to tell more and more in bad weather games.  They are going to lack offensive physicality.  

It wont' shock me to see us come out in 12 personnel to see how the Rams adjust. Their linebackers are a weakness on that defense and I think they can be exploited by our TEs and Cohen. Shaheen/Burton are my sleepers for this game.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

It wont' shock me to see us come out in 12 personnel to see how the Rams adjust. Their linebackers are a weakness on that defense and I think they can be exploited by our TEs and Cohen. Shaheen/Burton are my sleepers for this game.

I'm not sure about Shaheen yet.  He hasn't practiced much this year.  

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I anticipate it being 24-17 for a while and then in the end the put us away.

Hope I'm wrong.

Couldn't stop Blount or Barkely, but we're going to stop Gurley? Not buying it.

Barkley already is one of the best running backs in football. The bears are capable of slowing Gurley and holding him under 100 yards. Good run defenses are not good every game. Sometimes they get beat. The Bears have played good run defense except for 2 games this year.

45 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I'm not sure about Shaheen yet.  He hasn't practiced much this year.  

If you look at Shaheen since he's been back he seems to be used almost exclusively in the end zone.  Given Nagy's traits, I totally expect them to put him out in the same package some time... and then toss to Cohen on the other side

His other usage seems to be falling on his head, which is ******* terrifying to see

57 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

Barkley already is one of the best running backs in football. The bears are capable of slowing Gurley and holding him under 100 yards. Good run defenses are not good every game. Sometimes they get beat. The Bears have played good run defense except for 2 games this year.

Barkley is a freak.   I think because of Eli sucking people haven't realized it to its full extent yet.

Giants still should have traded the pick or drafted a QB.  They got lucky they sucked this year too and may get another bite at apple.  

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The Rams aren’t very good defensively. I know what you’re trying to say but they’ve been one dimensional all year so you picked an odd week to assume “quick hitters will be picked off.”

It's a very different defense with Talib back. How different? I don't know. But in the 4 games he's played, we've given up 13 points, 0 points, 23 points, and 16 points. Of course, three of the four teams weren't good.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Getting Talib back changes their defense quite a bit for the better.

This man gets it. :)

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Those two games were on the road.

Much different task when you're at home and you have the home crowd yelling and screaming so loud that the opposing offense has to work off silent counts and has a greater chance at miscommunication at the line in terms of protections, audibles, etc.

Gurley is averaging 109.3 rushing yards per game and 5.4 yards per carry on the road.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

FWIW Daniel Jeremiah likes the Bears in this one.  Says Bears should use a similar blue print to what the Cowboys did at home against the Saints last week and shut down that high powered offense and will do just enough on offense to get the W.

I don't think that blueprint would be very effective. We run a very different offense.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Our ILBs are terrible in coverage. Cohen will feast if he gets that matchup. I imagine Wade is going to do what he did against Kamara in the second half of the Saints game when Cohen is on the field. He used Joyner or NRC in coverage (or bracketed Kamara with an ILB and Joyner) on Kamara.

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Barkley is a freak.   I think because of Eli sucking people haven't realized it to its full extent yet.

Giants still should have traded the pick or drafted a QB.  They got lucky they sucked this year too and may get another bite at apple.  

Except the QB class is not that deep this year in the 1st round.  Depends if Herbert and Haskins declare or not.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Gurley is averaging 109.3 rushing yards per game and 5.4 yards per carry on the road.

I don't think that blueprint would be very effective. We run a very different offense.

Last time you faced a rush defense as good as ours (Saints) on the road, your offense only handed Gurley the ball 13 times and he didn't have a very impactful game.  Saints forced you guys to be one dimensional and it worked, as this was your only loss of the year.

As for the blueprint, keeping the ground game in check and getting constant pressure on Goff won't be very effective?  I beg to differ.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Last time you faced a rush defense as good as ours (Saints) on the road, your offense only handed Gurley the ball 13 times and he didn't have a very impactful game.  Saints forced you guys to be one dimensional and it worked, as this was your only loss of the year.

Not this again. The Saints forced us to be one dimensional by taking a 35-14 lead in the second quarter. Gurley averaged over 5 yards per carry in that game, and he had 7 rushes for 36 yards and a TD in the first quarter and a half before the Saints jumped out to their massive lead (putting him on pace for around 100 yards and 5 yards per carry). The Saints offense took Gurley out of the game. I will also point out that our offense scored 35 points in that game.

So yes, if the Bears can jump out to a three TD lead, they can make us one dimensional.

As for the blueprint, keeping the ground game in check and getting constant pressure on Goff won't be very effective?  I beg to differ.

That's not a blueprint. That's like saying the blueprint to beating the Bears is scoring more points. A blueprint goes into the specifics. Dallas' defense was incredible in that game. LVE and Jaylon Smith were incredible. But the Rams play a very different style of offense. Kamara is basically the Saints' #2 WR. And Michael Thomas is by far their #1 WR. The Saints run a very significant portion of their passing offense through those two guys. The Rams are more diverse with their passing attack.

Dallas was able to suffocate that offense by relying on their LBs to shut Kamara down in the passing game and Byron Jones to shut Thomas down. Of course, they also did a nice job of pressuring Brees and stopping the run. But a big part of pressuring Brees was taking away his two favorite targets. With the Rams, we're a lot more diverse in our attack. That doesn't mean it's harder to stop us than NO. It's just different.

I think when he said that they should "do what Dallas did" was more that Dallas played a ton of coverage, simplified it for their DBs so they could avoid the  busts, and then didn't give up easy chunk plays.

Which is what the Bears do.

They do not send a ton of pressure and they do not run complex and often dangerous coverages.

I think that this game is in the hands of the DL and OLB, if they can win in both phases and allow the Bears to keep a ton of guys in the passing lane.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Not this again. The Saints forced us to be one dimensional by taking a 35-14 lead in the second quarter. Gurley averaged over 5 yards per carry in that game, and he had 7 rushes for 36 yards and a TD in the first quarter and a half before the Saints jumped out to their massive lead (putting him on pace for around 100 yards and 5 yards per carry). The Saints offense took Gurley out of the game. I will also point out that our offense scored 35 points in that game.

So yes, if the Bears can jump out to a three TD lead, they can make us one dimensional.

That's not a blueprint. That's like saying the blueprint to beating the Bears is scoring more points. A blueprint goes into the specifics. Dallas' defense was incredible in that game. LVE and Jaylon Smith were incredible. But the Rams play a very different style of offense. Kamara is basically the Saints' #2 WR. And Michael Thomas is by far their #1 WR. The Saints run a very significant portion of their passing offense through those two guys. The Rams are more diverse with their passing attack.

Dallas was able to suffocate that offense by relying on their LBs to shut Kamara down in the passing game and Byron Jones to shut Thomas down. Of course, they also did a nice job of pressuring Brees and stopping the run. But a big part of pressuring Brees was taking away his two favorite targets. With the Rams, we're a lot more diverse in our attack. That doesn't mean it's harder to stop us than NO. It's just different.

You're right that's not a specific blueprint but for simplicity sake I meant by being able to get constant pressure with our front 4.  I don't care who you are, any QB is going to have a hard time being successful when that's the case.  We'll see if they can make it happen.

Archived