Rams @ Bears IGT Dec 9th on the Lake Front

WindyCity

Coaching

-Vic Fangio deserves a parade. He took the #1 team in the NFL, the brightest young offensive mind, one of the highest scoring offenses in the league and destroyed them. He bought property in McVay's mind and completely destroyed his game plan. The defense was so sharp against a team that thrives on teams blowing coverages. I am not getting worried that Fangio may get a HC gig.

Rams points by game this season: 33, 34, 35, 38, 33, 23, 39, 29, 35,

36, 54, 30, 6. 

-I love Matt Nagy. There is clearly a really incredible vibe surrounding this team and I think it starts with him. I could go on for pages about everything he has done that is awesome, but, okay I will.

He has a confidence about him that I think has become the teams confidence.
He changed a losing mentality and culture.
He was key in attracting key free agent signings that are having an impact.
He has brought an aggressiveness and fearlessness to the Bears on game day.
He has cleaned up most of the game management issues that have plagued the Bears.
He is an elite play caller and gives the Bears an advantage on game day we have never had on offense

It is hard to over state how impressed I am with Nagy.

-I have never really mentioned position coaches in these write ups, but can we give Jay Rodgers a raise. The Bears backup DL, which is really made up of a 3rd, 5th, and UDFA would start for many teams in the league. Bullard with a huge bull rush of Whitworth to force a pick, RRH consistently getting pressure, and Nichols eating the run. The Bears can rotate 2 elite DLmen with 3 really good DLmen, what an advantage. At no point last night did the Bears lose the line of scrimmage, for 60 minutes, against one of the best running teams in the NFL they owned the line.

-Ed Donatell, you are a savant. This is a secondary that starts a 4th, 5th and UDFA that lost its starting NB at the half and still smothered a complex and dominant passing attack.

-Harry Hiestand, "Aaron Donald, who?

Offense

-Trubisky worse game of the year and possibly his career. He was over throwing everything. The picks were all bad and in the end Nagy rightfully took the game out of his hand. This was an abnormal game for Mitch, even when he is not good, he is never this bad. He needs to bounce back, shake the rust off, and get his **** together for the Packers game.

-What a perfect time for Jordan Howard to get going. Complimentary football is so important and even more so when your QB is having a bad game. Howard was more decisive than I have seen him and he was making good reads and cuts before he hit the hole and generating consistently positive runs. I hope this is a sign that they have thing thing figured out.

-I will live with the negative runs from Cohen, because when he gets a seam it is incredible to watch how he gets moving up field.

-There is not much to say about the WRs as they got very little work. I think what we saw yesterday was more hidden value of Allen Robinson. When It was clear that Trubisky was not going to have it last night, he started to go to Robinson and was able to generate some positive plays.

-Holy blocking fouls and formation penalties on the WRs. That killed a bunch of promising moments in the game. Struggling QB, lets move even further from the endzone. That needs to be cleaned up and the first thing that can be done is no more Bellamy. He has 6 penalties in limited snaps.

-I really thought that Adam Shaheen's blocking has made a difference in the last couple of games. He is an upgrade over Sims in that role and I think he has probably missed too much time to be a big part of the passing attack, the run blocking is huge.

-Massie has a brutal start to the game and I was beginning to get seriously worried that Fowler was going to tear him up all game. Instead, he settled in and held up and was a very positive force in the run game. Although, on 3rd and 2, watching him try and cut off Aaron Donald on the backside was comical.

-I was terrified about Bryan Wtizmann, he played well and deserves credit. It was not perfect, but what you did not see was the quick pressures and obvious loses. He was terrible in NY, but really stepped up in this game and restored some of my confidence.

-Charles Leno had a bounce back game as well. The Giants game was his worse by a wide margin and he came back with a really nice game. He was part of keeping Donald so quiet.

-James Daniels did receive a lot of help, but a 21 year old kid played an entire game against Aaron Donald and held him him to 1 tackle, which was actually against Massie. What a statement game for a young player. His technique and base are so impressive to me, so even when Donald would bull rush him Daniels would go back, but he would be in control, balanced, and still in front of Donald. There were a couple of highlighted pancake blocks that had me out of my seat.

Defense

-This was a really good game from Leonard Floyd in all facets of the game. He rushed well, played the run well, covered well, and if it was not for that missed tackle on Gurley he would have had nearly a perfect game. The fact that the Bears have an OLB that they feel comfortable covering an elite receiving back and playing out in space against bunch formations makes them a very unique defense.

-In a game where you would not have known that Aaron Donald was on the field, the opposite can be said for Khalil Mack. Consistent pass rush and dominant run defense. My favorite play of the game was the 4th down sack that pretty much ended the game, Mack falls down at the snap, and I catch my breath, only to realize that there are 3 guys now blocking a dude who is on the ground and then Hicks and RRH work their blocks and sack the QB

-Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman decided early in the game that the Bears were going to win the game and then proceeded to destroy the Rams. Eddie Goldman had an elite game.

-The Bears backup DL would start for many teams. Rolling out Bullard, Nichols, RRH as your 3 man front as starters would not be the worst thing in the world, and for the Bears they play 30% of the snaps.

-RRH is legit, the Bears should use his RFA to try and lock him up for 3-4 years at below market value. The guy has turned into a legitimate interior pass rusher and Roger Saffold is not some slouch that he was working over.

-Trevathan was on point all game and what a job getting everyone lined up and making sure there were no busts.

-Roquan continues to improve and looks like what the Bears drafted. His flow to the ball is something to watch. At one point he steps up on the play action and then turns and blows up the WR screen. Imagine what it looks like when he knows everything and is not just reacting?

-Special thanks to Sherrick McManis for stepping in and playing like a baller.

-Kyle Fuller should be an All Pro, is playing like the best CB in the league, and thank you to GB for negotiating such a reasonable contract for the league leader in picks.

-Eddie Jackson, All Pro. His timing to the ball is really impressive. He arrives at the right moment to contest without giving up the catch or penalty.

-Prince Amukamara is another one of those low key free agent signings by Pace that continues to produce. He could have easily had 3 picks, 1 he was interfered with. He is so sticky in man coverage.

-The Rams thrive on coverage busts and easy intermediate throws that they can run after the catch with, but the Bears allowed nothing. Everything was contested, everything was a difficult throw and the run after the catch was non-existent.

58 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

"He told me to do it!"..."if he told you to jump off of a bridge, would you?" I'm not a parent, but my parents used to say that to me and my brothers weekly. Of course, the answer is "no."

However, if Nagy told me to jump off of a bridge, I might. This guy just gets it.

Infectious confidence.

I do not think people realize how rare it is in the NFL that a coaches player legitimately like and respect him.

Ya know... a big part of me wonders if our crowd noise made it impossible for Goff to hear McVay tell him what to do. Dude looked like a deer in headlights when the play clock hit 15 seconds and he was looking over our defense like "oh ****" xD

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ya know... a big part of me wonders if our crowd noise made it impossible for Goff to hear McVay tell him what to do. Dude looked like a deer in headlights when the play clock hit 15 seconds and he was looking over our defense like "oh ****" xD

Something was going on. I'd venture to guess that on 40-50% of their huddles, they didn't break them until there was 12 seconds or less on the play clock.

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Offense

-Trubisky worse game of the year and possibly his career. He was over throwing everything. The picks were all bad and in the end Nagy rightfully took the game out of his hand. This was an abnormal game for Mitch, even when he is not good, he is never this bad. He needs to bounce back, shake the rust off, and get his **** together for the Packers game.

-What a perfect time for Jordan Howard to get going. Complimentary football is so important and even more so when your QB is having a bad game. Howard was more decisive than I have seen him and he was making good reads and cuts before he hit the hole and generating consistently positive runs. I hope this is a sign that they have thing thing figured out.

-I will live with the negative runs from Cohen, because when he gets a seam it is incredible to watch how he gets moving up field.

-There is not much to say about the WRs as they got very little work. I think what we saw yesterday was more hidden value of Allen Robinson. When It was clear that Trubisky was not going to have it last night, he started to go to Robinson and was able to generate some positive plays.

-Holy blocking fouls and formation penalties on the WRs. That killed a bunch of promising moments in the game. Struggling QB, lets move even further from the endzone. That needs to be cleaned up and the first thing that can be done is no more Bellamy. He has 6 penalties in limited snaps.

-I really thought that Adam Shaheen's blocking has made a difference in the last couple of games. He is an upgrade over Sims in that role and I think he has probably missed too much time to be a big part of the passing attack, the run blocking is huge.

-Massie has a brutal start to the game and I was beginning to get seriously worried that Fowler was going to tear him up all game. Instead, he settled in and held up and was a very positive force in the run game. Although, on 3rd and 2, watching him try and cut off Aaron Donald on the backside was comical.

-I was terrified about Bryan Wtizmann, he played well and deserves credit. It was not perfect, but what you did not see was the quick pressures and obvious loses. He was terrible in NY, but really stepped up in this game and restored some of my confidence.

-Charles Leno had a bounce back game as well. The Giants game was his worse by a wide margin and he came back with a really nice game. He was part of keeping Donald so quiet.

-James Daniels did receive a lot of help, but a 21 year old kid played an entire game against Aaron Donald and held him him to 1 tackle, which was actually against Massie. What a statement game for a young player. His technique and base are so impressive to me, so even when Donald would bull rush him Daniels would go back, but he would be in control, balanced, and still in front of Donald. There were a couple of highlighted pancake blocks that had me out of my seat.

I think one of over looked qualities of Nagy  is how Bears respond to losses or poor play.  It’s human nature to be extremely negative.  Look at board comments and twitter for proof. 

He keeps these guys from getting too low and let me tell you at any level of football that it so important.  You don’t want to coddle people or not hold them accountable, but you don’t want to destroy the confidence of a talented player that can really help you either.  Especially with no one to replace him. It is a really tough balance.  

Daniels doesn’t always block every assignment and has some bad plays here and there, but he has best fundamentals of any player on the line.  By far.  

I am trying to learn editing in spare time and YouTube and may post a video on it soon. He is going to be really good.  

53 minutes ago, G08 said:

At one point in the fourth quarter the camera angle changed to behind the offense, and Goff was trying to audible, and the mics were clearly picking up players saying "I can't hear you." And that was with all 11 players inside the numbers in LA's typical tight formations

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Defense

-This was a really good game from Leonard Floyd in all facets of the game. He rushed well, played the run well, covered well, and if it was not for that missed tackle on Gurley he would have had nearly a perfect game. The fact that the Bears have an OLB that they feel comfortable covering an elite receiving back and playing out in space against bunch formations makes them a very unique defense.

Don’t forget what Patriots White and Brady did to him. 

He is good in zone and in flat because he is long and quick.  He can’t be isolated on  a quick back with a two way read. 

Archived