Rams @ Bears IGT Dec 9th on the Lake Front

WindyCity

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Not this again. The Saints forced us to be one dimensional by taking a 35-14 lead in the second quarter. Gurley averaged over 5 yards per carry in that game, and he had 7 rushes for 36 yards and a TD in the first quarter and a half before the Saints jumped out to their massive lead (putting him on pace for around 100 yards and 5 yards per carry). The Saints offense took Gurley out of the game. I will also point out that our offense scored 35 points in that game.

So yes, if the Bears can jump out to a three TD lead, they can make us one dimensional.

That's not a blueprint. That's like saying the blueprint to beating the Bears is scoring more points. A blueprint goes into the specifics. Dallas' defense was incredible in that game. LVE and Jaylon Smith were incredible. But the Rams play a very different style of offense. Kamara is basically the Saints' #2 WR. And Michael Thomas is by far their #1 WR. The Saints run a very significant portion of their passing offense through those two guys. The Rams are more diverse with their passing attack.

Dallas was able to suffocate that offense by relying on their LBs to shut Kamara down in the passing game and Byron Jones to shut Thomas down. Of course, they also did a nice job of pressuring Brees and stopping the run. But a big part of pressuring Brees was taking away his two favorite targets. With the Rams, we're a lot more diverse in our attack. That doesn't mean it's harder to stop us than NO. It's just different.

Game plan:

1) Score 35 points in 1.5 quarters.

2) Be incredible.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think when he said that they should "do what Dallas did" was more that Dallas played a ton of coverage, simplified it for their DBs so they could avoid the  busts, and then didn't give up easy chunk plays.

Which is what the Bears do.

They do not send a ton of pressure and they do not run complex and often dangerous coverages.

I think that this game is in the hands of the DL and OLB, if they can win in both phases and allow the Bears to keep a ton of guys in the passing lane.

The challenge in defending our offense is that McVay makes everything look the same. That forces the LBs to respect the run fakes. That opens up room to attack the intermediate range. Plus, his route combinations create a lot of space against zone and successfully use picks against man. The best way to slow this offense down is to get pressure without extra rushers and play sticky man coverage. McVay and Goff are too good at dissecting zones.

Just now, topwop1 said:

You're right that's not a specific blueprint but for simplicity sake I meant by being able to get constant pressure with our front 4.  I don't care who you are, any QB is going to have a hard time being successful when that's the case.  We'll see if they can make it happen.

If your DL wins in the trenches, you'll stand a very real chance of winning the game. That's certainly possible with the talent you have.

29 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Not this again. The Saints forced us to be one dimensional by taking a 35-14 lead in the second quarter. Gurley averaged over 5 yards per carry in that game, and he had 7 rushes for 36 yards and a TD in the first quarter and a half before the Saints jumped out to their massive lead (putting him on pace for around 100 yards and 5 yards per carry). The Saints offense took Gurley out of the game. I will also point out that our offense scored 35 points in that game.

So yes, if the Bears can jump out to a three TD lead, they can make us one dimensional.

That's not a blueprint. That's like saying the blueprint to beating the Bears is scoring more points. A blueprint goes into the specifics. Dallas' defense was incredible in that game. LVE and Jaylon Smith were incredible. But the Rams play a very different style of offense. Kamara is basically the Saints' #2 WR. And Michael Thomas is by far their #1 WR. The Saints run a very significant portion of their passing offense through those two guys. The Rams are more diverse with their passing attack.

Dallas was able to suffocate that offense by relying on their LBs to shut Kamara down in the passing game and Byron Jones to shut Thomas down. Of course, they also did a nice job of pressuring Brees and stopping the run. But a big part of pressuring Brees was taking away his two favorite targets. With the Rams, we're a lot more diverse in our attack. That doesn't mean it's harder to stop us than NO. It's just different.

1) Pressure pressure pressure, but spy Gurley in passing game.  

2) Know hot reads off pressure to generate turnovers

3) Stop the run on way to pass

4) Don't turn the ball over, but don't be afraid to take chances as you will have to score at least 27 to win. 

5) Attack the middle of field in passing game.

6) Tackle on 3rd and long.

7) No prevent.  

8) Use overload blitzes as Goff doesn't want to run.  

9) Be cold outside. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

1) Pressure pressure pressure, but spy Gurley in passing game.  

2) Know hot reads off pressure to generate turnovers

3) Stop the run on way to pass

4) Don't turn the ball over, but don't be afraid to take chances as you will have to score at least 27 to win. 

5) Attack the middle of field in passing game.

6) Tackle on 3rd and long.

7) No prevent.  

8) Use overload blitzes as Goff doesn't want to run.  

9) Be cold outside. 

Oddly enough, McVay hasn't embarrassed heavy pressure like he did last year. He had this magical ability to call the perfect screen when teams pressured last year. This year, he's preferred to keep in protection and try to pick it up. That hurt us against GB. Also, Wade hasn't been bringing that much pressure this year. He's rarely been rushing more than five, and rushes only four quite often.

51 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The challenge in defending our offense is that McVay makes everything look the same. That forces the LBs to respect the run fakes. That opens up room to attack the intermediate range. Plus, his route combinations create a lot of space against zone and successfully use picks against man. The best way to slow this offense down is to get pressure without extra rushers and play sticky man coverage. McVay and Goff are too good at dissecting zones.

If your DL wins in the trenches, you'll stand a very real chance of winning the game. That's certainly possible with the talent you have.

Yep, he builds 3 things off each look: run/pass/play action... Nagy said sometimes it's more like 5 things. Got to be disciplined. Me? I play man and rush 4, occasionally mixing in exotic zones to take away your midrange shots (15=25 yards). Football can be so simple if you can execute... outside zone left, outside zone right, play action, rinse/repeat.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yep, he builds 3 things off each look: run/pass/play action... Nagy said sometimes it's more like 5 things. Got to be disciplined. Me? I play man and rush 4, occasionally mixing in exotic zones to take away your midrange shots (15=25 yards). Football can be so simple if you can execute... outside zone left, outside zone right, play action, rinse/repeat.

The danger in man is that McVay uses a lot of bunch sets. That makes it difficult to press. It forces defenses to back off and pattern match. The problem with that is he combines the bunch sets with man-beaters. But if your CBs and pass rush are good enough, it can certainly work.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The danger in man is that McVay uses a lot of bunch sets. That makes it difficult to press. It forces defenses to back off and pattern match. The problem with that is he combines the bunch sets with man-beaters. But if your CBs and pass rush are good enough, it can certainly work.

I'd take my chances with that, if we go to zone McVay will kill us with crossers and have his WRs sit down in openings. Not doing that. I'd rather stick on your WRs with man, sprinkle in some cover-1 robber and hope our pass rush gets home.

Forget mother nature. I know 28 degrees is cold but 28 degrees and little to no wind isn’t going to be a difference maker, and unfortunately that’s what it’s going to be out there. 33 during the day, 28 at kick off. That’s not significant enough.

The only hope would be the grass being a mess.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Oddly enough, McVay hasn't embarrassed heavy pressure like he did last year. He had this magical ability to call the perfect screen when teams pressured last year. This year, he's preferred to keep in protection and try to pick it up. That hurt us against GB. Also, Wade hasn't been bringing that much pressure this year. He's rarely been rushing more than five, and rushes only four quite often.

When he says pressure he doesn't mean blitzes.

Fangio might blitz 3-4 times a game total. We send either 3 or 4.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We almost exclusively pattern match. The only DB who presses from time to time is Prince and that is usually only against bigger WRs.

It will be a big game for Roquan and Trevathan. They are significantly better than the Rams ILBs, which I expect Nagy to target the hell out of with Burton and Cohen. If our ILBs can make a difference on crossing routes and taking away the intermediate passes in zone then that would be a big advantage. I do not think Middleton and Barron can do that.

Also, if we can stay in 2 deep safeties, which Fangio almost always does unless we are getting gashed on the ground. The Rams work a ton of intermediate sideline routes that single high simply cannot be a factor in.

This to me feels like when you play your older brother in basektball when you are 15 and he is 17.

The Rams are ahead of us in their maturation and I would be surprised if we beat them the first time out of the gate.

Now, next season when they are 19 and we are 17 the playing field is more level.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We almost exclusively pattern match. The only DB who presses from time to time is Prince and that is usually only against bigger WRs.

It will be a big game for Roquan and Trevathan. They are significantly better than the Rams ILBs, which I expect Nagy to target the hell out of with Burton and Cohen. If our ILBs can make a difference on crossing routes and taking away the intermediate passes in zone then that would be a big advantage. I do not think Middleton and Barron can do that.

I imagine Wade isn't going to allow the ILBs to get matched up on Cohen. Unfortunately, they will be matched up on Burton, and he'll probably have a very nice game. The only chance that doesn't happen is if we put Peters on Burton and use Hill/Shields on Gabriel.

Also, if we can stay in 2 deep safeties, which Fangio almost always does unless we are getting gashed on the ground. The Rams work a ton of intermediate sideline routes that single high simply cannot be a factor in.

I think Fangio is going to have to change it up. If you're too predictable, McVay is able to figure out your weaknesses and will attack them relentlessly. It's why we have had so much offensive success against Seattle. If you try to stay in a C-2 shell, he's going to bombard your defense in the intermediate range.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I imagine Wade isn't going to allow the ILBs to get matched up on Cohen. Unfortunately, they will be matched up on Burton, and he'll probably have a very nice game. The only chance that doesn't happen is if we put Peters on Burton and use Hill/Shields on Gabriel.

I think Fangio is going to have to change it up. If you're too predictable, McVay is able to figure out your weaknesses and will attack them relentlessly. It's why we have had so much offensive success against Seattle. If you try to stay in a C-2 shell, he's going to bombard your defense in the intermediate range.

I will be interested to see if McVay can get Fangio out of the 2 deep look. Greg Cosell does a great breakdown of this on The Score, but essentially Fangio does what McVay does on offense. Every defense starts looking the exact same and they do not break out of it till half way through the routes and then they match up. To the point where Cosell when he is watching film has multiple plays where he doesn't know what the Bears are running or what the rules are.

Now this requires you to be super disciplined and communicate a ton and once in awhile we have a total bust.

I actually think this is a fascinating game as their is not a weak play caller in the entire game. How many games in the NFL are there where you can not point to a play calling weakness on a team?

Archived