Big Ten Targeting OU & Texas for 2024-2025 Expansion

Danger

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Big-Ten-targeting-Oklahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-125965141/

A few things that immediately come to mind.

This could incentivize the Big XII to expedite it's own expansion to at least 12 teams, but that's not necessary for there to be a CCG anymore so at the same time maybe not. 

The Geography would be kinda sucky for how widespread the B1G Ten would be, but it would make the Big Ten West more on part with the Big Ten East. 

I'd say this is pretty unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility. Though if it did happen, we might see the Big XII go the way of the Big East and be relegated to a mid major essentially. All the schools that are good at football would likely jump ship. Could see the SEC going after schools like TCU, Oklahoma State. Assuming they're not ruled out academically. West Virginia to the ACC makes too much sense.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Tejas sure. OU hell no. Also instead of expanding we just punt Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland.

Also we temporarily ban anyone who loses Minnesota for a season. So Wisconsin is out next year, but in for 2020.

Or we could switch Wisconsin and Illinois for Texas and OU That'd give the B1G most of the winningest programs in history.

1 minute ago, Supersuavesky said:

Or we could switch Wisconsin and Illinois for Texas and OU That'd give the B1G most of the winningest programs in history.

tbh that wasn't a dig on Nebraska football...it was a dig on Nebraska academics.

Same reason I don't want OU in the Big 10. At that point we may as well just bring in Bama.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tbh that wasn't a dig on Nebraska football...it was a dig on Nebraska academics.

Same reason I don't want OU in the Big 10. At that point we may as well just bring in Bama.

Ah, when WVU wanted to join the B1G:

giphy.gif

The B1G academic committee:

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ah, when WVU wanted to join the B1G:

Yeah that was like when a 9 year old tries to sit at the grown up table on Thanksgiving. 

Honestly, we should have never accepted Nebraska in the first place, and this crap is why. I don't want to bag on Nebraska the school more than necessary, but this just pushed the envelope further and now it's only a few years later and we're exploring OU? Come on now.

Texas would be a great fit and I'd love to have them, but financially the Longhorn network makes that a brutal sell. UT-Austin is a hell of a school though.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah that was like when a 9 year old tries to sit at the grown up table on Thanksgiving. 

Honestly, we should have never accepted Nebraska in the first place, and this crap is why. I don't want to bag on Nebraska the school more than necessary, but this just pushed the envelope further and now it's only a few years later and we're exploring OU? Come on now.

Honestly too, it always kills me how many decisions are made for football/basketball reasons. The NCAA and Title IX is a joke. You mean to tell me that it makes sense for these schools to join for things like wrestling, swim/dive, field hockey, lacrosse, and girls softball? Give me a break...not to mention the obvious academic standards.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Texas would be a great fit and I'd love to have them, but financially the Longhorn network makes that a brutal sell. UT-Austin is a hell of a school though.

Texas is a great fit academically and from a market standpoint, but they have absolutely nothing to gain IMO. They have a monopoly with the Longhorn Network (why Nebraska left to being with) and geographically it makes zero sense, barring the BIG 12 completely folding, which I root for on a regular basis anyway.

21 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fair enough.

But I don't think they care about academic standards when there's money to be made.

Not that anything will come of it in the end. 

Not the first time we've heard these schools rumored to be targeted by the big 10... Didn't happen last time, won't happen this time.

They need to just focus on applying pressure to force Notre Dame to finally give in and join the conference and then try to steal Pitt from the ACC.

Archived