Tavon Austin

BEASToftheEAST4

With recent occurrences, such as the acquisition of Sammy Watkins and the quick emergence of Cooper Kupp, let's address the elephant in the room: Tavon Austin. 

We keep hearing reports that he still has a place on this team and more importantly, a role on the offense, but is this just saving face? We've seen time after time before (with any franchise) a front office/HC back a player up only to deal them shortly after. So my question is this: do you buy this team having a defined (and significant) role on our offense? With Watkins instantly becoming the big playmaker of the team and Kupp seemingly having the slot role on lockdown, where does Austin play? 

What would you do if you were running the show? This is assuming that we are NOT able to deal him this season. 

I'm almost curious to see how he'd handle something similar to a third down back role. Obviously his pass protection would be a big concern, but using him as a change of pace guy to Gurley or someone to get receptions out of the backfield may be an effective way to use him. Keep in mind he was a running back throughout his stages of football up until college. 

Thoughts? 

This issue was brought up in the Sammy Watkins trade thread. But its definitely worth exploring more. 

I think its quite obvious he is WR #4 right now. Watkins and Woods are both better talents (to me) and were both hand picked by this coaching staff. Kupp isnt as gifted as Austin, but he is already a better receiver than anything we have ever actually seen from Austin.

Honestly I think he can still be a dangerous weapon in this league, I just dont think that will be with this team. At this point I would imagine he will be treated as a gadget player, with special packages for him. And he isnt going to like that.

Best case scenario, a contender has a Receiver go down early in the season, and we pick up a late round draft pick just to shed him and the rest of this years contract.

I know it was brought up in that thread as well, but I know they're advocating more threads discussing more specific topics, so I figured this would be a good discussion.

Anyways, I seem to share that sentiment regarding Austin. The guy is obviously gifted (I think that's the best word to describe him), but I agree that Kupp has already proven to be a more reliable receiver and right now that is what we need, with us having a developing QB.

Right now, I think the team would prefer to ship him. And while I'm sure teams would be interested in having him on their teams, I'm also sure that they want nothing to do with the absurd contract he was given only a year ago.

32 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I know it was brought up in that thread as well, but I know they're advocating more threads discussing more specific topics, so I figured this would be a good discussion.

Anyways, I seem to share that sentiment regarding Austin. The guy is obviously gifted (I think that's the best word to describe him), but I agree that Kupp has already proven to be a more reliable receiver and right now that is what we need, with us having a developing QB.

Right now, I think the team would prefer to ship him. And while I'm sure teams would be interested in having him on their teams, I'm also sure that they want nothing to do with the absurd contract he was given only a year ago.

Trading for him right now is very cost effective actually. We already paid his roster bonus and it's on our books. His base pay is all a team would be on the hooks for at $3.5 million. Next year he has a roster bonus of $5 million that becomes guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year. So he could essentially be a 1 year $3.5 million rental.

Now that he's not a starting WR, he should be returning all punts and kickoffs (has he ever done KR?). Still can't believe we gave him that much money but we can't let his contract force him into playing time if it isn't in the best interest for the team.

41 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Now that he's not a starting WR, he should be returning all punts and kickoffs (has he ever done KR?). Still can't believe we gave him that much money but we can't let his contract force him into playing time if it isn't in the best interest for the team.

Yeah I've never understood the fact that he's a glorified returner who doesn't do kick returns. I couldn't ever tell if that was a Fisher thing or not.

But yes I agree, if he's not a starting WR, then he should DEFINITELY be returning both punts and kicks, at the very least.

He will be used like Chris Thompson was on Washington. More as a 3rd down back and special teams player than anything else. Does his contract warrant that type of production? HELL NO. But there is nothing we can do this year about it. He won't be traded. He won't be cut. Best case scenario is he plays well in his role and puts up similar production as he did before (500yard receiving, 400 yard rushing, 5-7TD, 1 PR return for TD). Then we could possibly flip him to a contender as a difference maker for a 4th round pick. And that's BEST case scenario to me. Realistically, he's cut next year and we have another thing to blame Fisher for.

I still think Austin has potential within this particular offense.  Austin has shown flashes with extremely poor quarterback play and really bad offensive coaching.  I really love the Sammy Watkins acquisition because he is an awesome player when he is healthy, but the key part of that sentence is 'when he is healthy'.  The Rams have done a terrific job at turning what was a really weak link for them last season - their receiving corps - into a strength.  Having three or four quality wide receivers is great.  Not only do the Rams look much more formidable in three or four receiver sets, but it's also good insurance incase of injuries.  I personally believe it would be wise to keep Tavon Austin and let this creative coaching staff work with all this young blooming talent.

52 minutes ago, S-jax39 said:

I would immediately start shopping him for a pick. He cant run routes, cant catch, cant block. Im over giving him chances because hes fast, he can go be a worst version of Ted Ginn somewhere else.

And you think that is going to recoup a pick?

We would just be wasting money if we cut him, so unless someone gives us something worthwhile, then he will be the #4 WR/Gatget/Return man

He's definitely more of a gadget player for us now. Didn't he return kickoffs and punts while at WVU?

Maybe have a couple variations with Tavon and Todd in the backfield. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to trade him during the offseason. 

On 8/23/2017 at 5:43 PM, StLunatic88 said:

And you think that is going to recoup a pick?

We would just be wasting money if we cut him, so unless someone gives us something worthwhile, then he will be the #4 WR/Gatget/Return man

Theres at least one team who is still caught up in the potential of a top 10 pick. I promise you.

Archived