Tavon Austin

BEASToftheEAST4

So the last time Tavon faced the Colts he had 8 touches for 314 total yards and 3 tds. He was the first player in NFL history with a punt return for a td of at least 95yds AND a receiving td of at least 55yds.

Im pumped to see what he will do for an encore on Sunday. While I don't know what McVay has in store for Tavon within the offense, it's gonna be fun to see what Tavon will do now he doesn't have to be option 1 or 2. Like you can legitimately make a case that he is at best option 4 or 5. That's a scary thought that defenses will have to gameplan for Watkins and Gurley and the two tight ends and Kupp BEFORE they even think about Tavon AND if they prepare for Tavon above some of those first then those others will have a great chance to go off because the defense spent less game planning for them and all McVay/LaFleur has to do is adjust their offensive play calling to who the defense isnt trying to focus on more for that particular week. Defenses can't take away everyone. It's gonna be fun and it starts this Sunday. Can't wait to see Tavon. Like we haven't seen Tavon on the field with Watkins Kupp Everett Higbee and Gurley with Goff. We will see it Sunday. Colts will be exhibit A to what teams in the future have to deal with.

As long as Goff has taken a step to competency, our offense should be pretty dang exciting!  I too am very intrigued by how McVay is going to get Austin involved.   I liked the way KC used Hill on Thursday and I could envision something similar with Austin.  Austin has been very effective getting RB snaps in the past and, IMO, that might be his most productive role.  A mix of that and what he did with Crowder would suit him just fine.

3 hours ago, Flatlyner said:

As long as Goff has taken a step to competency, our offense should be pretty dang exciting!  I too am very intrigued by how McVay is going to get Austin involved.   I liked the way KC used Hill on Thursday and I could envision something similar with Austin.  Austin has been very effective getting RB snaps in the past and, IMO, that might be his most productive role.  A mix of that and what he did with Crowder would suit him just fine.

I agree. I made the same statement about the Rams could use Tavon like KC uses Hill and was laughed at. Like they are similar. The only thing is Tavon had Fisher and all his incompetent OC trying to figure things out. Meanwhile, Reid understands how to run an offense so Hill is used effectively. I think we will see better usage of Tavon with McVay and LaFleur because yes McVay had Crowder and yes LaFleur saw Gabriel in ATL and they used him. Tavon is more talented than both of them so if both McVay and LaFleur work together to even to some of the same things that was done in Washington and ATL with Crowder and Gabriel and use it with Tavon, it will be very effective and could produce even better results.

I wish the Bears would offer us a 3rd for him (wet dream I know).  Feels like he has not place here after first game. Granted, that could be because he hasn't played all preseason and they are easing him in, but, when he dropped that punt and then didnt contribute at all, I was not pleased.

4 hours ago, Flatlyner said:

I wish the Bears would offer us a 3rd for him (wet dream I know).  Feels like he has not place here after first game. Granted, that could be because he hasn't played all preseason and they are easing him in, but, when he dropped that punt and then didnt contribute at all, I was not pleased.

But he did contribute.

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

can we get rid of Tavon Austin before the trade dealine? What are the schematics behind all this...this dude needs to hit the road ASAP and bring in some depth in other areas.

Why? I get he is paid a ton BUT we all know that could get restructured. Yes he has had issues in the special teams game but I listened to his interview and he said it's mental. He had 2 muffed punts in his entire career heading into the season. It's mental. Just like Amari Cooper over in Oakland who is dropping passes like crazy this season. Yes it's concerning but it's something that can be fixed. Tavon is a HUGE weapon in this offense. He scored a TD against the Seahawks, nearly scored a TD against the Niners. He helps the run game and passing game with his diversions on the jet sweeps. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, he is very valuable to this team success on offense because his presence is a threat and when teams go out to stop Gurley and Watkins, they can't forget about Tavon. If they do, he will burn them.

10 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Why? I get he is paid a ton BUT we all know that could get restructured. Yes he has had issues in the special teams game but I listened to his interview and he said it's mental. He had 2 muffed punts in his entire career heading into the season. It's mental. Just like Amari Cooper over in Oakland who is dropping passes like crazy this season. Yes it's concerning but it's something that can be fixed. Tavon is a HUGE weapon in this offense. He scored a TD against the Seahawks, nearly scored a TD against the Niners. He helps the run game and passing game with his diversions on the jet sweeps. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, he is very valuable to this team success on offense because his presence is a threat and when teams go out to stop Gurley and Watkins, they can't forget about Tavon. If they do, he will burn them.

why? because he's a liability, that's why. You can only have 11 players on the field at one time and I think there's plenty other weapons that are just as effective who are more reliable. Tavon is useless, IMHO. Having Tavon on the jet sweep isn't gonna make it or break it for us...the dude is too small to be an effective RB and to be honest, whenever he has the ball in his hands I'm more scared of him losing it or turning it over to the other team vs him making any big play out of it.  More times than not Tavon goes nowhere vs making big plays.  Out of ALL the big plays he's made for us I can probably find just as many big time costly errors that screwed us.  For me, I'd rather see other players out there getting opportunities and/or adding more depth at other positions such as Oline and LB.

4 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

why? because he's a liability, that's why. You can only have 11 players on the field at one time and I think there's plenty other weapons that are just as effective who are more reliable. Tavon is useless, IMHO. Having Tavon on the jet sweep isn't gonna make it or break it for us...the dude is too small to be an effective RB and to be honest, whenever he has the ball in his hands I'm more scared of him losing it or turning it over to the other team vs him making any big play out of it.  More times than not Tavon goes nowhere vs making big plays.  Out of ALL the big plays he's made for us I can probably find just as many big time costly errors that screwed us.  For me, I'd rather see other players out there getting opportunities and/or adding more depth at other positions such as Oline and LB.

I'm not following. How is he a liability on offense? I get his struggles as a punt returner. You just can't replace him in the offense. He is the ingredients to the offense that of course is under appreciated. Teams have to be aware of Tavon. When he is lined up in the backfield or doing the jet sweep. That's why we see guys open vertical or Gurley gash run plays. I think the start was Gurley averages 8.1ypc when Tavon motions across the formation. Now who on offense can replace that? Sure you can do it with Cooper or even Watkins but if you do, it's taking away a true receiving threat down the field. But again I get the frustration with the muff punts and his big contract. So I can't blame you for feeling the way you do. I'm just saying the Rams finally have playmakers on offense and taking him out is removing one less playmaker from the Rams attack. 

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I'm not following. How is he a liability on offense? I get his struggles as a punt returner. You just can't replace him in the offense. He is the ingredients to the offense that of course is under appreciated. Teams have to be aware of Tavon. When he is lined up in the backfield or doing the jet sweep. That's why we see guys open vertical or Gurley gash run plays. I think the start was Gurley averages 8.1ypc when Tavon motions across the formation. Now who on offense can replace that? Sure you can do it with Cooper or even Watkins but if you do, it's taking away a true receiving threat down the field. But again I get the frustration with the muff punts and his big contract. So I can't blame you for feeling the way you do. I'm just saying the Rams finally have playmakers on offense and taking him out is removing one less playmaker from the Rams attack. 

He's a liability because he turns the ball over more times than not when the ball gets in his hands. Why have him on the field? What value does he really bring to our team? The presense of a "decoy?" lol.  So, next year (since he's such a HUGE part of our offense) then we're gonna make room for him under our cap WHILE trying to sign the bigger named players such as Donald, Tru and Keeping our Oline depth?  DUDE, if we can't run Gurley or an effective offense WITHOUT the use of Tavon and his stupid jet decoys then what kind of offense do we really have? Next year, we most likely wont have Tavon...so, then what?

5 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

He's a liability because he turns the ball over more times than not when the ball gets in his hands.

Austin has zero fumbles on offense this year. This isn't a good argument for removing him from offense.

Why have him on the field? What value does he really bring to our team? The presense of a "decoy?" lol.  So, next year (since he's such a HUGE part of our offense) then we're gonna make room for him under our cap WHILE trying to sign the bigger named players such as Donald, Tru and Keeping our Oline depth?  DUDE, if we can't run Gurley or an effective offense WITHOUT the use of Tavon and his stupid jet decoys then what kind of offense do we really have? Next year, we most likely wont have Tavon...so, then what?

Next year, Tavon will take a pay-cut or be cut. This year, he's being paid regardless. You're still not making arguments for why we should remove him from the offensive game-plan THIS YEAR.

Archived