Ian Rapoport/Jay Glazer: Jaguars moving on from Bortles, other off-season moves expected

.Buzz

19 hours ago, .Buzz said:

While i agree with the premise that it's not a full-on panic situation with our cap right now...i hate the way this article just casually goes, "oh yeah, just cut this guy and that guy and these other half dozen guys and bob's yer uncle, cap problems solved!"

When you cut all those pieces...you still have to actually replace them and field a roster.  Replacing a lot of those guys (starts among them, with no internal candidates to replace them already in the system) with players who don't suck is either going to have to come from the draft (where we have finite amount of picks that you can reasonably expect a starter out of), or it's going to have to come via FA where you're going to spend a decent amount on decent players, and even more on any legitimately good players.  Cutting these guys isn't just "pure savings" as presented there...when you have to spend a good portion of those savings on a replacement that doesn't completely suck.

And that's without even accounting for improved depth at a handful of positions, and what that's going to cost.

Our cap situation isn't a catastrophe, but it's not great either.  It's going to be a real squeeze to fit everything under the cap without making an already bad team noticeably worse.  Especially if any sort of FA QB is in the plans, which even for a Tyrod Taylor type, is going to eat up a significant amount of cap space.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

While i agree with the premise that it's not a full-on panic situation with our cap right now...i hate the way this article just casually goes, "oh yeah, just cut this guy and that guy and these other half dozen guys and bob's yer uncle, cap problems solved!"

When you cut all those pieces...you still have to actually replace them and field a roster.  Replacing a lot of those guys (starts among them, with no internal candidates to replace them already in the system) with players who don't suck is either going to have to come from the draft (where we have finite amount of picks that you can reasonably expect a starter out of), or it's going to have to come via FA where you're going to spend a decent amount on decent players, and even more on any legitimately good players.  Cutting these guys isn't just "pure savings" as presented there...when you have to spend a good portion of those savings on a replacement that doesn't completely suck.

And that's without even accounting for improved depth at a handful of positions, and what that's going to cost.

Our cap situation isn't a catastrophe, but it's not great either.  It's going to be a real squeeze to fit everything under the cap without making an already bad team noticeably worse.  Especially if any sort of FA QB is in the plans, which even for a Tyrod Taylor type, is going to eat up a significant amount of cap space.

And it seriously begs the question given how expensive even below average stop gaps are, is it even worth it to go that route anymore?

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Probably will look down this road. Wouldn't be a bad thing with a rookie QB to sit behind.

Really curious what the market on Flacco is going to look like.  He's obviously not going to be in for Cousins money, but i can't imagine he's going to be cheap.  That's a lot of money to be spending if you're also using a 1st round pick on a QB who is eventually going to take over.  The idea of guys really "sitting" for an entire year is sort of dead, from a bygone era.  If they look down the Flacco road, i'd kinda think that should move them into a different mode maybe looking for a Day 2 type QB instead.  Using that 1st on a "win now" weapon for Flacco.  If you're bringing him in...you definitely need a serious lid lifter type for the signature Flacco play too.

One of the various talking pregame shows actually mentioned the idea of the Ravens potentially trading Flacco.  Which would be interesting.  Can't imagine they'd get much, but i could actually see a team out there willing to toss them a mid round pick or something just to secure Flacco as their QB under contract.  If his FA salary is going to be kinda huge anyway...

Would make it an even tougher sell here though, if there ends up being any kind of trade market for him.  That'd be not only straining to our cap situation, but it'd be dealing a pick that we probably really need to fill out our team effectively too.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Seriously though...do they have enough scapegoats left to fire one a week until the end of the year?  I don't think they do tbh.

Caldwell for sure tomorrow.

Marrone possibly in the coming weeks? Potentially Wash prior? 

Not even sure Marrone is going to get canned but this loss today on top of the awful season is...tough.

Doug Pederson is a clear example of why Marrone needs to be replaced. Orders on has had 46 different starters this year tied for most in the NFL and look how his team is competing on national tv against the Rams while they themselves are undermanned. You have to compete and if you can’t do it with talent you better do it with coaching and or scheme and Marrone’s not to that level yet.. we thought we were getting better coaching it looked good for a year but comes to find out it’s because he benefited from a beat up league and injured QBs.. there is no way that this roster talent wise should have a worse record than the colts.. Schwartz is doing more with less against a potent Rams offense Wash should take notes.

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Can we realistically afford Flacco? I mean he is going to command alot more than a journeyman vet QB that will get benched in a month if our #1 pick is remotely ready to go

I doubt Flacco would want to come here seeing as though the Jags are pretty much trying to draft a QB first round Flacco seems like he still wants to be a starter and starter with no top 5 pick looking over his shoulder.

14 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I doubt Flacco would want to come here seeing as though the Jags are pretty much trying to draft a QB first round Flacco seems like he still wants to be a starter and starter with no top 5 pick looking over his shoulder.

Pretty much.  That's where i think if they have any interest in doing the Flacco thing, you go in on it and do that.  Maybe you draft a "developmental" kid Day2 so you have an iron in the fire for when Flacco is done, and actual non-Kessler insurance in the case that Flacco gets injured again.  You have to commit to that though, for better or worse.  That takes you out of the 1st round QB draft market - you use that pick to get Flacco a weapon or some protection instead.

If you make it clear to Flacco that this is the plan, maybe he does have interest in playing here...with what should potentially still be a good defense, and a commitment to the running game for him to lean on.  Probably a better situation than a lot of other places that might be in the market for a QB this offseason.

Trying to make the cap work would certainly be an issue though.  And in the long-run, you're back in the QB market in a couple years anyway at best.  But if Coughlin and whoever else is left are desperate to win next year and keep their jobs...there's an appeal to a mediocre veteran QB, rather than a rookie that's probably going to have plenty of struggles.

If this team signs or god forbid trade for Flacco they just need to fire every single decision maker involve with that move.

This team could have fought for a playoff spot by simply taking the guy that has now pushed Flacco out of his job. 

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

If this team signs or god forbid trade for Flacco they just need to fire every single decision maker involve with that move.

This team could have fought for a playoff spot by simply taking the guy that has now pushed Flacco out of his job. 

Ding ding ding

Archived