Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
.Buzz

Ian Rapoport/Jay Glazer: Jaguars moving on from Bortles, other off-season moves expected

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

there was 0 need for the extension.  we already had the 5th year option so instead of letting him walk this way for 0 dead money we end up having a bigger number cuz Coughlin gotta coughlin. 

Or, had he continued/improved this year, like you would think is also a possibility who is going into his 2nd year in a different style offense (playing the game manager role instead of being relied upon to throw 50 times a game), we'd have to give him a longer term deal with more $$.

Hindsight is great but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, .Buzz said:

Or, had he continued/improved this year, like you would think is also a possibility who is going into his 2nd year in a different style offense (playing the game manager role instead of being relied upon to throw 50 times a game), we'd have to give him a longer term deal with more $$.

Hindsight is great but...

rather have played year by year even if it was more money.  he was even massively inconsistent his "good" year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

rather have played year by year even if it was more money.  he was even massively inconsistent his "good" year.

Easy to say that now. I remember most of this forum being happy with locking him up on a deal with minimal risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Easy to say that now. I remember most of this forum being happy with locking him up on a deal with minimal risk.

I don't think many were happy, but moreso satisfied that it was a low- risk deal.

I would say the general reaction was "WTF!?!" until the details of the contracts were known,  in which case just about everyone was like "well, ok. guess we can move on if he bombs"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

I don't think many were happy, but moreso satisfied that it was a low- risk deal.

I would say the general reaction was "WTF!?!" until the details of the contracts were known,  in which case just about everyone was like "well, ok. guess we can move on if he bombs"

Going back to the thread, there was also a lot of murky detail at the time about just how extensive the dead money was, the offset situation, etc.

Though i described my position in that thread as, "not madly in anger with the deal, but also kinda hate it".  At least, until it was made to sound like there was basically no risk with dead money.  Which turned out to not be the case at all, as there's actually significant dead money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

What happened to this defense

Alot of defense is just putting forth effort. When you look at our offense, does it really make you want to put forth effort?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Alot of defense is just putting forth effort. When you look at our offense, does it really make you want to put forth effort?

Alot of the great defenses of all time had terrible offenses and still put in maximum effort. It’s not the like the offense was amazing last year. Didn’t they have a lot of defensive touchdowns and created turnovers at a crazy rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Easy to say that now. I remember most of this forum being happy with locking him up on a deal with minimal risk.

pwny

  • pwny
  • Global Moderators
  •  3,243
  • 68,553 posts

18/year is a good deal. 

MightyRx likes this
 
Like
Edited by bzane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Alot of the great defenses of all time had terrible offenses and still put in maximum effort. It’s not the like the offense was amazing last year. Didn’t they have a lot of defensive touchdowns and created turnovers at a crazy rate?

We did have a ton of sacks vs really bad teams. Idk if turnovers were created at a crazy rate but i think the TDs were abnormally high. Injuries at LT and Fournette hurt quite a bit and sadly Lee was our most consistent guy too. ASJ going down sucked since he seemed to be building a decent rapport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2018 at 8:10 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Alot of defense is just putting forth effort. When you look at our offense, does it really make you want to put forth effort?

Yeah.  This defense has suffered really twofold from the absolutely useless pathetic offense.

First, in being constantly put on the field.  The offense isn't just bad at scoring, it's been bad at sustaining drives and possessing the ball to give the defense a breather.  No defense is going to hold up when they're stuck on the field like that.

Secondly, just in the mentally deflating aspect of an offense that ineffectual like you're suggesting.  At some point, it's gotta be impossible to leave it all on the field when you know the offense is just going to blow it anyway.  Especially when it's the same stupid stuff over and over again, effectively just banging heads against a brick wall repeatedly.

 

20 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Alot of the great defenses of all time had terrible offenses and still put in maximum effort. It’s not the like the offense was amazing last year. Didn’t they have a lot of defensive touchdowns and created turnovers at a crazy rate?

There's some element of that involved i think.  The defense last year had some really opportune "gamebreaking plays".  They were pretty fortunate in general with that...but they also seemed to have a number of those big game-changing plays happen for them early in games.  Or early enough that they'd essentially spot the Offense a lead, so they just sorta have to hold serve.  While the defense was also able to pin its ears back more effectively and get after a team chasing on the scoreboard...which is where they're at their best.  Defense spots the team a lead --- Run run run the ball and control the clock, was the winning formula quite a bit last year.  The defense typically didn't look as good when the Jaguars were the ones chasing the score.

But there certainly appears to be a major mentally deflating component to it this year.  Along with the physically fatiguing aspect of the offense being so useless.  I mean, last year...our offense was pretty bad.  This year though, it's been essentially non-functional most of the time.  That's a big difference, and a major drop-off when that unit was on the fringe of terrible and really couldn't afford to get even the slightest bit worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×