Jump to content
.Buzz

Ian Rapoport/Jay Glazer: Jaguars moving on from Bortles, other off-season moves expected

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

If this team signs or god forbid trade for Flacco they just need to fire every single decision maker involve with that move.

This team could have fought for a playoff spot by simply taking the guy that has now pushed Flacco out of his job. 

By the time Lamar Jackson was starting in Baltimore, the Jaguars were already completely out of the playoff picture and had essentially quit on the season.  Because we didn't have a guy like Flacco to keep our team in the picture until Jackson stepped in.  Maybe he steps in earlier here because Bortles is far more horrific than Flacco...but that's even more mileage on a guy where most people are already looking at the number of carries he's making as a QB as unsustainable.  And probably more importantly...that's more tape and more time for defenses to really key in on stopping what he's succeeding in as a runner, and forcing him to become more of a passer where he's struggled far more.

 

Besides...whether they made the right or wrong call in not pursuing a QB in last year's draft, it's gone and done.  Hindsight doesn't do squat to help field a competitive team with a serviceable QB next year.  Jackson is no longer available, for better or worse.  Flacco does look like he will be available.  You work with the options you have at this point, not hindsight shoulda woulda couldas that are almost certainly going to get most of those people (or person, Dave?) responsible fired in the first place.  Learn the lessons, move on.

Jackson replacing Flacco in a completely different situation really has no bearing on whether Flacco would be a significant upgrade here, over what we actually have available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

By the time Lamar Jackson was starting in Baltimore, the Jaguars were already completely out of the playoff picture and had essentially quit on the season.  Because we didn't have a guy like Flacco to keep our team in the picture until Jackson stepped in.  Maybe he steps in earlier here because Bortles is far more horrific than Flacco...but that's even more mileage on a guy where most people are already looking at the number of carries he's making as a QB as unsustainable.  And probably more importantly...that's more tape and more time for defenses to really key in on stopping what he's succeeding in as a runner, and forcing him to become more of a passer where he's struggled far more.

 

Besides...whether they made the right or wrong call in not pursuing a QB in last year's draft, it's gone and done.  Hindsight doesn't do squat to help field a competitive team with a serviceable QB next year.  Jackson is no longer available, for better or worse.  Flacco does look like he will be available.  You work with the options you have at this point, not hindsight shoulda woulda couldas that are almost certainly going to get most of those people (or person, Dave?) responsible fired in the first place.  Learn the lessons, move on.

Jackson replacing Flacco in a completely different situation really has no bearing on whether Flacco would be a significant upgrade here, over what we actually have available.

Flacco is awful. That offense is functioning better with Jackson than with Flacco.

We are better off hoping that Bortles regains his confidence than trotting out Flacco.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Flacco is awful. That offense is functioning better with Jackson than with Flacco.

We are better off hoping that Bortles regains his confidence than trotting out Flacco.

 

I think it's debatable whether that offense as a whole is functioning better with Jackson that Flacco.  The team as a whole is functioning better because that extremely run-heavy emphasis is a terrific help in making a very good defense look fresh and amazing.

But regardless, like i said...that doesn't really matter.  Jackson is no longer an option.  Whinging about what didn't happen at the draft last year, or how a guy compares to another guy that is not available to us, is a ****ty metric for how to improve this team's QB play next year.  ex//The Patriots offense functioned better with Brady than JimmyG.  Does that mean the Niners were wrong to trade for Jimmy?  See how irrelevant that is?

Bortles even at his "best" (or more accurately, "least terrible") has never been as good as Flacco, however mediocre he may be at this point.  Nobody is claiming Flacco is an amazing long-term franchise quarterback at this point...but he's still capable of being an average or slightly better starter in the right situation, which is miles better than Bortles can offer.  We're in a cruddy situation, dredging the depths for very flawed QB options at this point...just looking for one that is less terrible that what completely sank our season this year.

I'm not the hugest fan of Flacco as an option because of what i fear it will cost cap-wise, but to outright dismiss it and suggest we'd be better off with Bortles is just hyperbolic overreaction to Flacco being an overrated name.  We can't afford to be outright dismissing options like that for flippant reasons, or irrelevant reasons like how an unavailable QB may or may not be outperforming them in a totally different situation within a small sample size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Jalen Ramsey, guess what man? We're signing Joe Flacco to be our starting QB next season.

It's not about whining about Jackson. It's that the Ravens have realized it's time to move on from Flacco and elected to go with a young raw QB that many deemed wasn't ready to play his rookie year.

Flacco would have been long ago gone from that Ravens team had he not had that hot streak that won them the SB and got his extension.

He wasn't good then, and he sure as heck isn't good now.

I'd take Bortles with a healthy offense (Fournette plus OL) than Flacco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

 

I'd take Bortles with a healthy offense (Fournette plus OL) than Flacco.

and this is why you aren't an NFL GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

and this is why you aren't an NFL GM

Yeah, he's all alone on that hill I think.

I don't love Flacco but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Bortles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Hey Jalen Ramsey, guess what man? We're signing Joe Flacco to be our starting QB next season.

It's not about whining about Jackson. It's that the Ravens have realized it's time to move on from Flacco and elected to go with a young raw QB that many deemed wasn't ready to play his rookie year.

Flacco would have been long ago gone from that Ravens team had he not had that hot streak that won them the SB and got his extension.

He wasn't good then, and he sure as heck isn't good now.

I'd take Bortles with a healthy offense (Fournette plus OL) than Flacco.

What, is Jalen Ramsey our GM now?  xD 

 

As to the bolded, it seems you may be in the minority when it comes to that opinion.  I'm also really not a big Flacco fan, and agree that he's been "overrated" and "overpaid" for a long time based on a SB ring.  But without a doubt, i'd still take him over Bortles any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mullens scares me a lot. If we had a mind like Shanny it'd be one thing but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, .Buzz said:
Mullens scares me a lot. If we had a mind like Shanny it'd be one thing but...

Exactly we’d have to have a decent offensive mind in order to make Mullen’s appear solid. Shannahan has damn near coached every QB on that list.

Edited by DuvalsKing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Exactly we’d have to have a decent offensive mind in order to make Mullen’s appear solid. Shannahan has damn near coached every QB on that list.

I mean, Mullens may be able to be a solid guy outside that system, but it's a large risk. Idk if I'd want to put all my things in that basket. I'd be totally for dealing a pick for him AND drafting a guy though. Not sure what type of pick it'd take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian reports Marrone will be back next yr... guess we’ll have to wait until 2020 to see some change with this piss poor *** franchise I don’t think it’s that accurate because it kind of eludes to Caldwell returning as well. 🤦‍♂️

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002728/article/jaguars-panthers-expected-to-stay-the-course-for-next-year?campaign=Twitter_atn

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812125-nfl-rumors-latest-on-steve-wilks-ron-rivera-more-coaches-on-hot-seat

Edited by DuvalsKing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, Mullens may be able to be a solid guy outside that system, but it's a large risk. Idk if I'd want to put all my things in that basket. I'd be totally for dealing a pick for him AND drafting a guy though. Not sure what type of pick it'd take.

Yeah.  The potential Shannahanigans are strong with the Mullens.  I don't have a lot of faith in his ability to sustain anything like this long-term.  Especially not outside of that sort of system putting him in an advantageous and easy to manage situation.  Don't really see him as having any upside to be more than he's looked for the Niners this year.  If you can get him as a stopgap for a cheap pick, i'd be okay with it.  He might still be one of the better stopgap options potentially available to try to shelter a rookie QB for a while...in the right system. 

But i'd have a hard time throwing out anything like a 1/2/3 round pick on that.  Especially if you're spending another high pick on a QB, making him a guy you're probably aiming to have replaced before the year is out.  Not sure anything less than that gets it done for the Niners, and we're already down a mid-round pick after the Carlos Hyde nonsense anyway.  Would certainly make it extra preferable if we could find a stopgap QB as a FA so we can focus all our remaining picks on building up other depth.

 

Mullens having a basically nothing caphit next year is kinda attractive, but i think it's probably something that'll be even more attractive to a team like the Redskins, who will be looking for a guy who can take over right away...but also cost basically nothing because of all the money they've tied up in a badly injured Alex Smith.  Not a guy i'd want to get into a bidding war into premium pick territory over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Ian reports Marrone will be back next yr... guess we’ll have to wait until 2020 to see some change with this piss poor *** franchise I don’t think it’s that accurate because it kind of eludes to Caldwell returning as well. 🤦‍♂️

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002728/article/jaguars-panthers-expected-to-stay-the-course-for-next-year?campaign=Twitter_atn

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812125-nfl-rumors-latest-on-steve-wilks-ron-rivera-more-coaches-on-hot-seat

As long as they haven't totally quit on Marrone...might as well let these guys play out the last year or two of this defense and whatever little "window" might still be open for this group they assembled.

Then if it fails, in 2020/2021 we can start all over again from the ground up, scorched earth and all that.  Just like when Dave came in to begin with!  Yay.  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Merry Christmas forum hope everyone had a blessed 1.

 

You too!

Edited by .Buzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×