Preseason Wk 3: 49ers v Vikings GDT

Forge

hqdefault.jpg

Wanted to get this started early this week.

This is the biggest game of the preseason typically, the one where we can see who's stealing a starting spot, or in danger of getting cut. We need a clean game from the 1's for once, and this game won't exactly be the easiest to do it in - the Vikings #1 D is legit. 

Some interesting projections on the 53 man roster from Chris Biderman and Can Inman. Both actually have Brooks getting cut and us sticking with Harold as the starting SAM, so if Harold gets the start again there this week, I believe they could be right. Hopefully, we could get something from someone like the Pats for Brooks, even if it's a 7th rounder, for Brooks rather than just out and cutting him. 

I'll be curious to see if Magnuson plays any center. I haven't noticed him playing there this preseason or heard anything about him being there during camp, but Biderman thinks we will keep him on to be the backup center and cut Barnes (Inman has us keeping 9 O-line, but with Magnuson being cut and Barnes and Theus making the squad). 

Both have us keeping only 5 receivers, and both currently think that Redmond doesn't make the squad, which is a massive disappointment given that he was an early third rounder just last year. Weirdly, Inman has us cutting Tank, which I just don't see happening given his play this preseason and camp, and the way we have used him as a starter in the games. 

5 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

SAM has always been a bit under the rader for me and I( and many other people) thought it was Brooks' job anyway. If we cut or trade him, who'd be the alternative to Harold then?

I would think Watson.  He's a special teams stud usually, so it helps for his place on the roster. Maybe we would move Bowman or Foster to SAM, bring in Ray Ray at will in that instance, rather than just going to Watson anyway.  

I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone think that Beathard gets more playing time, possibly against #1's? We know Hoyer will go into the season as our starter, but it would be interesting to see how he plays. Hoyer has been good during camp, but in the game has been fairly bad. 

I also believe that Brooks is on the way out. I think it will be Harold as the starter unless he plays horrible in the last 2 preseason games. Watson would be the alternative like Forge mentioned.

16 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone think that Beathard gets more playing time, possibly against #1's? We know Hoyer will go into the season as our starter, but it would be interesting to see how he plays. Hoyer has been good during camp, but in the game has been fairly bad. 

I also believe that Brooks is on the way out. I think it will be Harold as the starter unless he plays horrible in the last 2 preseason games. Watson would be the alternative like Forge mentioned.

Not without an injury. There is no reason to. There's not QB competition between Beathard and Hoyer, so this game is about final preparations and run through for the starters. We are trying to put our best foot forward heading into the season. 

Things I'm looking forward to in this game:

-Getting our run game going against the #1 defense. It only got going a bit when the Broncos went to their back ups....which really were their 3rd stringers since most of the starters sat out.

-Robinson to have a much cleaner game than he has the first two games. And please Rashard, just wrap up for once.

-The DL rotation with everyone playing. I think Lynch should be back this week along with Buckner.

-How much time our two rookie RBs get compared to Hightower and Bibbs

-How Ward looks at FS assuming he is cleared in the next few days. And does he start or does the team bring him in slowly with Jerome getting the nod?

-Can we generate any sacks against the Vikings starters? They don't have a good OL so it would be discouraging if we can't get any pressure against them.

-Does Kittle lock up the starting gig?

-And finally, who gets the starting nod at the SAM spot.

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I mentioned Robinson but you could add Johnson as well. 

I guess I accidentally missed that one, but I'm in agreeance with you in Robinsons tackling, we need to see much improvement there. With Johnson I'd just like to see quality CB play for an extended period of time

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'd add seeing how our CBs play, specifically Johnson and Robinson.

And can Hoyer finally put together a drive leading to points. I don't even care if we run the ball the entire drive, just as long as he's on the field when we score.

If we are going to try it running the football, we won't score. We have yet to get our first string run game going in any real way, shape or form. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that while Garnett is out, we may have one of the worst rushing offenses in the NFL at the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'd like to see Bourne, Boldin, Smelter or Carter have big games to at least make the receiver competition interesting. 

I wouldn't bet on it in preseason game 3. These guys may only see a few second half snaps apiece. This is the game for Garcon, Goodwin, Kerley, Robinson, and Taylor to show what they can do. Burbridge will probably get his looks because of special teams. Of your above, I'd guess Bolden has the best chance to see receiver snaps given that he's been in the KR competition. But this is the game where you get the best look at who has real roster chances. Game four is when those other guys will really be interesting looks. 

Archived