2019 and beyond

lavar703

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Because he's a very good athlete and centerfield type FS.  How many times have we been burned deep since we signed him?  I can't think of any.  The big plays we've allowed is because our guys have been missing tackles (yes I know Ha Ha has missed some tackles but it hasn't been all on him).  

He hasn't missed some tackles. Dude has missed many tackles. I need my safeties to be able to tackle. Ha Ha is not unreliable in that area. How many times where we burned deep before he got here? I know he had a huge role in the TD to Cooper against Dallas. You may want him back, but I'd disagree. Right now I'm offering him about 4 million a year if we can't sign someone better. 

My ideal scenario: 

1. Lose remaining games of 2018 Season.

2. Fire Bruce Allen and Greg Manusky.

3. Hire a competent  GM and let him decide Jay Gruden’s fate. Then hire a new coach (if Gruden not kept) and a competent DC. (Bring Gregg Williams back...)

4. Trade Jordan Reed and Josh Norman (if at all possible) for any draft compensation.

5. Stay away from FA QBs. Stay away from trades for QBs.

6. There is hope Alex Smith retires to preserve his health, but in all likelihood, he will make his 20M for this year and get cut.

7. Resign Matt Ioannidis and Brandon Scherff.

8. Let Preston Smith and HaHa Clinton-Dix walk.

9. Draft a QBotF in the first 2 rounds. (Hand picked by coach/GM and NOT the owner)

10. Draft a LG for goodness sake.

11. Draft a speedy WR that can take the top off a defense and can assume PR/KR duties.

12. Bite the bullet for 2019 and know that we won’t be good/great. Trot Colt McCoy out there and see if the team can buy into a new philosophy/mentality.

I won’t be mad if Gruden stays, but the new GM will have to be comfortable with Gruden hand picking the QB of the future for this team. IMO, the train may have run its course. Easy training regimens, poor time management, bonehead play calling and overall inability to adjust to game flow leads me to believe he is probably gone too.

It’s going to get worse before it gets better, but that’s better than what we have now; It getting worse and then staying the same for the past 6 years.

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

My ideal scenario: 

1. Lose remaining games of 2018 Season.

2. Fire Bruce Allen and Greg Manusky.

3. Hire a competent  GM and let him decide Jay Gruden’s fate. Then hire a new coach (if Gruden not kept) and a competent DC. (Bring Gregg Williams back...)

4. Trade Jordan Reed and Josh Norman (if at all possible) for any draft compensation.

5. Stay away from FA QBs. Stay away from trades for QBs.

6. There is hope Alex Smith retires to preserve his health, but in all likelihood, he will make his 20M for this year and get cut.

7. Resign Matt Ioannidis and Brandon Scherff.

8. Let Preston Smith and HaHa Clinton-Dix walk.

9. Draft a QBotF in the first 2 rounds. (Hand picked by coach/GM and NOT the owner)

10. Draft a LG for goodness sake.

11. Draft a speedy WR that can take the top off a defense and can assume PR/KR duties.

12. Bite the bullet for 2019 and know that we won’t be good/great. Trot Colt McCoy out there and see if the team can buy into a new philosophy/mentality.

I won’t be mad if Gruden stays, but the new GM will have to be comfortable with Gruden hand picking the QB of the future for this team. IMO, the train may have run its course. Easy training regimens, poor time management, bonehead play calling and overall inability to adjust to game flow leads me to believe he is probably gone too.

It’s going to get worse before it gets better, but that’s better than what we have now; It getting worse and then staying the same for the past 6 years.

I can agree with most of this except trading Reed. He’s had a good year, I wouldn’t trade him. I can go either way on Haha & Preston, it just depends on the size of those contracts. 

My honest opinion is that PSmith should be playing LOLB/LDE in the NFL, just like Kerrigan & Murphy. We drafted Kerrigan in 2011 & then in 2014 & 15 drafted 2 other guys who were better fits at LOLB/LDE than ROLB/RDE, it made no sense. I didn’t love either of those two draft selections by Allen and McCloughan, but when those 2 players were here’s and Redskins, I wanted them to succeed and rooted for them.

So, if we re-sign PSmith my thought process is that he’d eventually be moved to LOLB/LDE in 2 or 3 years when Kerrigan retires.  That way this year we can draft a QB or ILB in round 1 instead of going OLB. OLB can wait a year if we re-sign PSmith to a reasonable Orakpo type contract where he’s making under $10 million a year.

I think I said before, and if I didn’t, I meant to, I can go either way on Haha. I just wish Gruden would have the stones to tell DJ to shut up in the press about internal issues and if he doesn’t, he’s going to get fined. Him crying about his teammates and coaches through the press was old the first time he did it, now it’s become unbearable. He’s a team leader, blanking do something about it!

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Allen is a good player. Right now Swearinger is better. Allen isn’t even our best DL as that belongs to Ioannidis. 

Sure, again, if all you pay attention to is splash plays. Allen is the only DL we have that commands a double team, because of that Ioannidis and Payne usually get to go one on one.

And, despite that Allen still makes a major impact in the run game and in pushing the pocket in the passing game.

This shows up easily on film. Allen is a beast and because he is, it makes everyone’s job easier.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

This is equivalent to saying well “Tom Brady was a 6th round pick,” it’s called an aberration.

It’s called being a smart franchise.  They trade for a player, get half a season use out of them then add a comp pick when they leave.  You don’t have to find the next Tom Brady to do that.

Archived