2018 Draft- How them rookies doing?

tannenballs

I think I've seen a similar thread but I don't know if I'm remembering correctly.

For the Patriots...

1.23: Isaiah Wynn, OT, Georgia - Wynn tore his Achilles and has been on IR all year. With Trent Brown playing great, he might not have a spot other than replacing Waddle & co. as the swing guy. My grade on him was 7.1 (potentially good NFL starter), so I like his chances at becoming solid.

1.31: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia - Sony has been a slam-dunk so far. He's a true bell cow back and is living up to my expectations of him (7.43 grade - good NFL starter). He's the best back the Patriots have had in a long time in terms of actually running the football. The knee injuries are a concern though.

2.56: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida - Dawson has also been on IR for the whole year, so there's nothing really to show from him. My grade on him was only decent (6.65 - good chance to become good starter) because he wasn't a real special tackler or athlete. However, reports say he's a high-ceiling nickel corner, and with Jonathan Jones struggling recently, that's a good sign.

5.143: Ja'Whaun Bentley, ILB, Purdue - Bentley has been on IR all year but right now looks like a slam-dunk. He called plays in his third-ever game and was a tackling machine before he broke his arm. I didn't scout him before the draft and had no grade on him.

6.178: Christian Sam, ILB, Arizona State - Sam has been on IR all year too but has potential. I did scout him before the draft and gave him a 7.2 (Potentially good NFL starter) because he's an explosive tackler. He might, however, never reach that ceiling.

The rest of our draft picks haven't been super important (Berrios, Etling, Dawson, Izzo). J.C. Jackson has been solid.

2 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I think I've seen a similar thread but I don't know if I'm remembering correctly.

For the Patriots...

1.23: Isaiah Wynn, OT, Georgia - Wynn tore his Achilles and has been on IR all year. With Trent Brown playing great, he might not have a spot other than replacing Waddle & co. as the swing guy. My grade on him was 7.1 (potentially good NFL starter), so I like his chances at becoming solid.

1.31: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia - Sony has been a slam-dunk so far. He's a true bell cow back and is living up to my expectations of him (7.43 grade - good NFL starter). He's the best back the Patriots have had in a long time in terms of actually running the football. The knee injuries are a concern though.

2.56: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida - Dawson has also been on IR for the whole year, so there's nothing really to show from him. My grade on him was only decent (6.65 - good chance to become good starter) because he wasn't a real special tackler or athlete. However, reports say he's a high-ceiling nickel corner, and with Jonathan Jones struggling recently, that's a good sign.

5.143: Ja'Whaun Bentley, ILB, Purdue - Bentley has been on IR all year but right now looks like a slam-dunk. He called plays in his third-ever game and was a tackling machine before he broke his arm. I didn't scout him before the draft and had no grade on him.

6.178: Christian Sam, ILB, Arizona State - Sam has been on IR all year too but has potential. I did scout him before the draft and gave him a 7.2 (Potentially good NFL starter) because he's an explosive tackler. He might, however, never reach that ceiling.

The rest of our draft picks haven't been super important (Berrios, Etling, Dawson, Izzo). J.C. Jackson has been solid.

Like all of them are on IR. Sounds like a bad class.

To answer the question for the niners: 

1. Mike McGlinchey - most on this forum remember my despair at our taking of McG. I thought he was a fine prospect, first rounder type, but I didn't view him as a top ten guy in this draft, and I didn't love moving off Brown and swapping in McG. Didnt' think the team was actually getting any better. After the deed was done though, it's hard not to be at least okay with how McG has played. Essentially what most people would have prognosticated for him. He's a mauler in the run game - one of the best run blocking tackles in the NFL per PFF (yeah yeah, but there aren't many places that you can get reviews on the run blocking of players), and he's competent, but sometimes struggles in the passing game. No  shame there, and he could get better. McG looks like a guy that will be around for a very long time, and personally, I think he's had a better season than Nelson. The most impressive thing about McG? Not a single holding penalty this year, and just one penalty total, which was a false start (by contrast, Nelson has had 5 holding calls and 1 False start, Miller - 1 holding, 3 false starts. Frank Ragnow - 2 holding, 4 total penalties). 

2. Dante Pettis - been sort of a meh season overall as he missed some time with injuries. Another pick I didn't love (because of the cost, not necessarily the player). Hasn't done anything on special teams yet, which is funky, and his receiving numbers aren't amazing or anything, but he's certainly flashed at times this year, particularly the last two games when Garcon / Goodwin have been sidelined. Over those two weeks, 14 targets, 9 receptions, over 200 yards and 3 touchdowns.  His route running is legit. He needs to work on some contested catches, but my hope is that he becomes something like Keenan Allen? 

3. Fred Warner - starter since day one, took  over the playcalling duties on defense starting week 1. He's had a few ups and downs, but kid has mostly been very good this season. He's been a tackling machine. I'd like to see him make a few more splash plays (maybe an INT in coverage, perhaps a forced fumble here and there), but in the third round, this pick looks really good through 3 quarters of the first season. 

4. Tarvarius Moore - He was a project pick based on his athletic profile, and converting positions. He's barely played anything meaningful this year (less than 5% snap count on defense), though he has been a special teams ace. No idea what we have in him at this point. Basically a lost season to try and teach him. 

5. Kentavius Street - the Trent Baalke special; IR stash due to injury. Personally, not holding out a ton of hope, seems to profile far too similarly to what we already have on the line, but obviously there is no way to know what he is at this point in time. Crossing my fingers, hoping he turns out better than previous GM Baalke's ACL guys. 

6. DJ Reed - being bounced around between corner and safety, though he's spent most of his time at the latter after playing the former throughout his college career. Personally think we are doing him a disservice by putting him at safety, but with out defense and injuries, there's not much of a choice I suppose. Hasn't been particularly impressive at this point at the position. He's had some success on kick returns for us - over a 30 yards per return which would be good for 3rd in the NFL at the current point in time, but he's a couple of returns shy of qualifying (he's had 11 returns, the NFL leader in yards per return has only had 16, so he shouldn't be that far off)

7. Marcell Harris - spent most of the season on IR, just came back last week I believe (or it was the first time he got real playing time). He's extremely inexperienced (even from college). I didn't love the pick, but way too soon to know if he's going to be anything. 

8. Jullian Taylor - he made the team as a 7th rounder, even flashed some in the preseason. That's really some of the best things you can hope for from a 7th rounder. Could be a solid rotational player at the SDE position, but again, we have a lot of players who slot into that 3 & 5 tech position, so I have no idea what the likelihood is of him succeeding moving forward. 

9. Richie James - Like Taylor, he made the team as a 7th round pick, flashed some in the preseason, and even has a nice play or two in the regular season. Can't ask for much more than that. Given his size, he's not going to be the type to ever become a difference making receiver or anything, but he could end up being a very good slot receiver. He's not the fastest guy ever, but he's good in and out of his breaks, and does seem to have a knack for figuring out how to get open. Highlight of his season so far was against Oakland where he took a quick slant 53 yards. He's had some return duties, however has muffed a couple of punts, so I believe we are shortly going to see Pettis back there returning them again. 

Unlike last year, no notable UDFAs for us to really talk about except for maybe Jeffrey Wilson, who was on the PS most of the season, called up over the last two weeks. Got the majority share of snaps last week due to Breida's ankle injury. Doesn't seem to have a ton of explosive attributes, but he's a different style of runner than the others we have on the roster, which could be beneficial. Had more of an impact in the passing game than I woudl have suspected as well. Will get another solid look at him this week as Breida is out for the game against Denver and Wilson is the starter. 

I have not seen all the rookies but here are some of the guys that have stood out to me as playing well.

Saquon Barkley - Super star no question about it, great to see and kind of obvious how good he was in college.  

Leighton Vander Esch - Tackling machine, makes some big time plays and seems even faster in the NFL than he was in college, part of a real upstart defense in Dallas

Derwin James - Has played up to his potential unlike his last year in college arguably.  Is better with more space around him and obviously is an elite level athlete.

Jaire Alexander - Was injured at times in college but that has not showed up in the NFL, great toughness as a tackler and athletic ability

Fred Warner - Liked him a lot in college and has been a steal for them, productive linebacker with coverage skills as well.

Darius Leonard - Tackling machine, not sure that would translate but does what he did in college now in the NFL

Justin Reid- Solid safety getting some good time for them, making plays and reacts well to the football

Sam Darnold - Has the confidence and swagger about him, should be much better next year though potentially.

Josh Allen - What a freaking rocket arm, has been injured and in and out of the lineup but any play is a chance at a big play with him in the game.  

Here are how the Vikings prospect have looked to me:

1st round: Mike Hughes - Is a possible star down the road, super fast and tough tackler.  Could be a great nickle corner or boundary guy if they do not sign Waynes long term.  Sucks he got injured this year he could have really helped, but Holton Hill UDFA has filled in nicely with Rhodes out at times and Hughes and even Waynes from time to time.

2nd round: Brian O'Neill - Has started a few games, never really of note getting beat down off the edge.  Sure has some work to do but they would be in a world of hurt without him.  So thought he was only a project OT, that is not the case he has skills for sure.

4th round: Jalyn Holmes - Has done not much, little to nothing in the preseason and rarely sees game action

5th round: Daniel Carlson - Obviously was cut, I think their kicking issue is the special teams coach must be awful for the confidence of kickers, even Bailey has missed some from time to time as well the supposed vet.

6th round: Colby Gossett - Not really played, long term maybe a backup will see

6th round: Ade Aruna - Injured all year and almost all of preseason, too bad kid has potential and tons of upside

7th round: Devante Downs - I like him and he made the roster, has some athletic ability for sure, see what he does down the road but obviously has not done much this year.  

Philadelphia Eagles

2nd  Round: Dallas Goedert- full disclosure- I am a the cult leader of the Dallas Goedert fan club, but my honest assessment. He is a stud TE, but somehow Doug Pederson and Mike Groh (has got to go) cannot figure a way to get him in the passing game. He can block, he can run routes (not like Ertz but not too shabby for a FCS rookie) Next season Doug Pederson...FIGURE IT OUT and get him involed, or else!.

4th Round: Avonte Maddox- I was iffy about him initially, he played a few snaps in the slot- looked ok but once one of our safeties went down, he stepped in admirably as a FS, especially considering he has never played safety or slot cb for that matter good upside.

4th round: Josh Sweat: High upside but he doesn't get alot of snaps, he has to put on some weight and he will be a factor next season

6th round: Matt Pryor- He has played as often as Richard Pryor...nuff said

7th round: Jordan Mialata: redshirt year- he has a ton of upside but he has to learn football and how to play LT, lord knows we need help because Jason Peters is done. (or close to it)

For all the attention and hype LVE is getting, Roquan is having a heck of a season in his own right. Obviously got off to a slow start with the holdout but has been making massive strides week

LVE- 108 TT, 2 INT, 0 Sack, 0 FF

Roquan- 96 TT, 1 INT, 4 Sacks

Anthony Miller has the same number of TD’s as OBJ, AJ Green, and Diggs. Stud in the making 

He was given some help but James Daniels man, the guy held Aaron Donald to 1 TT, 1 QB hit and 0 sacks yesterday and he just turned 21. 

Ryan Paces drafting has been superb 

Saquon is ROTY, Hernandez has been a day one starter and the best, most consistent OL we have, Lorenzo Carter flashes regularly both off the edge and surprisingly in coverage, and BJ Hill leads the team in sacks. Lauletta finally saw game action and went 0/5 with an interception and RJ Mcintosh just got activated a few weeks ago and is finally getting playing time. We hit big time on the first 4 picks.

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

He's basically given Dallas a reason to cut Sean Lee.

Sean Lee is an amazing football player and an amazing talent, but yeah Vander Esch sure has helped when Lee is not in the lineup.  Lee's injury history is awful, he is constantly hurt lately...

Another one is Tre Flowers of Seattle, forgot to bring him up.  He is playing amazing football and in that Seattle system with the tall corners, he fits right in.  Never played corner in college as far as I know, was a big long safety but never quite took it to the next level I feel despite playing a ton of quality football.  Clearly was a little misused in college though because he is a hell of a corner and really uses his length well.  What a standout I would say he is this year in terms of rookies, totally legit starting corner in the NFL as a 5th round pick as a safety out of college.  

Archived