2018 Draft- How them rookies doing?

tannenballs

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

They've probably benefited from all the playing time and some have been quite promising:

Rd1 Kolton Miller, LT - Started day 1 as the LT and has shown flashes of promise, carried an injury through a number of games and was awful over the middle third of the season, jury very much still out.

Rd2 PJ Hall, DT - Another who's shown flashes without putting it all together, came from a small school and looks it at times but he has shown explosiveness, massive strength and an ability to penetrate and should be a good player moving forward, very excited about his prospects.

Rd3 Brandon Parker RT - thrown to the wolves very early in the season at RT after Penn's injury at and has struggled mightily. He'll need to improve an awful lot over the offseason but looks like a classic reach as of right now.

Rd3 Arden key DE - Basically our best outside pass rusher as sad as that seems, shows glimpses of getting to the QB but hasn't turned pressure into sacks yet. Should be a rotational end this year while he learns his craft but when needs must........

Rd4 Nick Nelson CB - Been pushing for a role but when given the opportunity was roasted, has some promise though and the CB situation is actually looking pretty healthy.

Rd5 Maurice Hurst DT - The steal of the draft! Leads the team in sacks and gets regular penetration, very fast off the snap and plays with good leverage and anticipation, he will get stronger against the run but has been by no means a liability there. Could be a star if surrounded with some talent.

Rd5 Jonny Townsend P - Terrible, just terrible. The layman can punt further and only kept his place on the roster because Gruden picked him.

Rd6 Azeem Victor LB - made little impression in camp and was cut.

Rd7 Marcell Ateman WR - Big bodies WR who has played more than expected and done OK as of late, not quick or shifty but has a large catch radius pretty sure hands. Great value in the 7th but he won't scare many defences.

Other rookies to mention are UDFA RB Chris Warren II was the pre-season star and now on IR and guys like LB Jason Cabinda, LS Trent Sieg getting lots of playing time. FA pick up K Daniel Carlson playing very well and should have consolidated his spot on the roster for next season. 

If yall get Ed Oliver. We will gladly take Hall if yall don' want him.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

If yall get Ed Oliver. We will gladly take Hall if yall don' want him.

We will more likely go Q Williams if any interior guy. It would make for one filthy rotation of Williams, Hurst and Hall. Even Hankins and/or Jelly would make for a very good penetrating corp.

However we need Bosa over anything else. Sadly I don't see ARZ winning another game. 

1. Jaire Alexander CB: Stud/leader for D for next decade. Was pissed when we traded back and passed on Derwin, but Jaire has been sensational. Going to be one of the best in the game. 

2. Josh Jackson CB: Been absolutely awful. Had a hot preseason where he was making plays, but since then he's been abused. Especially these last few weeks. He's unusable at the moment. Some are calling for him to be moved to safety... I don't know. Weak effort tackling.. can't man cover. We'll see I guess, I'd be surprised if he makes some crazy turnaround next year. 

3. Oren Burks ILB: Can't get on the field despite our lack of talent at the position. Didn't know him when we drafted and still don't know him. Hoping something happens with him over the off-season. Hard to say if he's bad because he hasn't really got a chance to show what he can do in-game, but not expecting a lot from him going forward. 

4. J'Mon Moore WR: Hasn't been able to get on the field. Drafted 3 decent/raw af receivers and he was kinda the odd man out of the rotation. Had some awful drops early in the preseason that made him kinda lose confidence. Kind of a redshirt year for him to get his **** together. 

5. Cole Madison OG: Didn't report to camp because of some stuff he's going through in life. Might decide to report next year? 

5. JK Scott P: Inconsistent, as of late pretty consistently bad. he's got a massive leg when he hits it right. needs way better placement. Replaceable, but he'll be next year. 

5. Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR: Had some games where it looked like he was gonna be a key cog moving forward. Has kinda faded lately. Adds something to this team, so he'll be here for a while, no doubt. I think he'll take a big step next year. He's got a good mentality and I trust him to keep improving. He MAY develop into a decent #2. Best value pick packers made.

6. Equanimeous St. Brown WR: He's flashed. These past two weeks I think he actually out-snapped MVS. Kinda in the same boat as MVS. Might turn into something next year. I have less faith in him than MVS personally. I think they'll both definitely be on the roster next year. Maybe not J'mon. 

7. James Looney DL: He just got brought up the active roster recently. Nothing to say about him besides that. I don't think he got on the field. 

7. Hunter Bradley LS: Haven't heard his name this year. Sometimes I see posters ****ting on him for some reason. He might suck. Not enough for me to notice. 

7. Kendall Donnerson EDGE: He just got called up the roster too. Nothing to say about him.

Overall... not really too good. Rounds 2/3/4 could be massive whiffs. Jaire is a stud. Can't be mad w/ the MVS & ESB picks. Rest isn't good. Hoping Madison comes next year. Hoping one of J'Mon/Oren/Jackson don't suck next year.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, FinneasGage said:

2. Josh Jackson CB: Been absolutely awful. Had a hot preseason where he was making plays, but since then he's been abused. Especially these last few weeks. He's unusable at the moment. Some are calling for him to be moved to safety... I don't know. Weak effort tackling.. can't man cover. We'll see I guess, I'd be surprised if he makes some crazy turnaround next year.

it ain't gonna work with him. Last year at the combine they were running a basic corner angle drill where you backpedal, plant, and then burst forward at an angle. The drill can be used to see the burst that a corner has in order to break on the ball, useful drill for off-man coverage and most zone coverage. He didn't know how to do it. Not like, he wasn't sure of the directions, which way to go, what kind of step they wanted, or anything like that. He didn't know how to backpedal properly. He kept standing up in the backpedal and then when the coach corrected him on it he was doing the drill painfully slow. I've never seen that before. I think he may have planted with the wrong foot too. I don't know what the coaches did with him at Iowa, but that's a basic-level drill that most high schools even utilize. I don't know how he's even gotten this far if things like that haven't been taught to him, it's like if a quarterback didn't know how to throw to his left (oh wait that's Cody Kessler)

I can still vividly remember how terrible Josh Jackson looked in the field drills at the combine. Not surprised he's getting beat like an eagles cb. On the flip side, Jaire was the best looking cb in field drills (arguably the best cb combine performance I've seen... ever) 

1 - Vita Vea   He is looking a lot better now he got off to a slow start because of a calf injury in training camp and didn't really play until later and they brought him along slowly but now he's playing about 80% of the snaps and looking really good.  Here is a clip of last week of him battling Marshall Yanda.

2. Carl Davis - He is looking good but he has had his ups and downs as a rookie.  He has shown some flashes.  Definitely a press man corner but they had him playing a lot of zone which didn't help his progression.

2. Ronald Jones - Yea not looking good he has like a 2.4 YPC.  The line hasn't helped though still he looks very hesitant and he cannot catch a ball for the life of him.  I can't say I have ever seen a RB as bad as him early on and go on to have a decent career but u never know.

2. MJ Stewart - Meh when he was on the field in the slot he looks like he just doesn't have the athleticism to be in the NFL.  He was burnt repeatedly and teams seemed like they would key in on him.  He is injured now or has been the past few games.

3. Alex Cappa - He looks like just what you would figure a DII lineman would be he has his ups and downs and has looked like he needs work but does seem capable.  He was on the bench most of the seasons but they have had in a rotation at RG lately with Benenoch.

4. Jordan Whitehead -  From the small amount of playing time he has had he looks good and should be starting full time but coaches are weird.  He is a willing tackler and he has great closing speed on the ball with good instincts as well.

5.  Justin Watson - Hasn't had really any playing time because of the stacked WR corp.  He had a beautiful toe-tapping catch in the endzone in pre-season but thats about it lol.

6.  Jack Cichy - He tore his ACL in the Browns game along with Kwon.  Going to be interesting as he already was picked later because of an ACL injury in college.

QB Josh Allen: Has been better then most if not all expected. Certainly the case in the running game. His completion percentage is still what people point to but there are a lot of variables there. He still has a long way to go but it appears Buffalo has their QB for the foreseeable future. Once he has weapons and protection, the sky is the limit.

LB: Tremain Edmunds: At times he has been down right dominant and others he looks a step behind or lost. He has been mostly good to great though and for just 20 years old he has already taken some leadership roles and has begun running defensive meetings with the help of Kyle Williams. Should be the center piece of the Bills D for a decade.

DL Harrison Phillips: Been a very solid rotational guy who should carve out a career doing just that. You likely don't want him starting 16 games but he can come in and hold up at the point of attack and has 4 TFL on the season.

CB Taron Johnson: Small school stud. This pick has McDermott written all over it and Johnson did not disappoint him. He locked down the slot corner spot from day 1 and up until his injury a few weeks ago he was arguably the best tackler on the team. 

S Siran Neal: Has been banged up and has not played a lot due to being the teams 4th safety. I believe he gets in on special teams but has not made huge contributions there. 

OG Wyatt Teller: Has started the last 5 games at LG and been a major improvement over Ducasse. He is a road grader in the run game and has held up well in pass protection. He has a chance to lock down the LG spot moving forward depending how these final two games go.

WR: Ray-Ray McLoud: Had a weird college career and his NFL career is not off to a great start. He's made costly mistakes on special teams and has been outshine and surpassed by UDFA Robert Foster and Isiah McKenzie who didn't join the team until week 10 from the Broncos PS. Doubt he makes the roster next season with the likely added help coming.

WR Austin Proehl: Was pretty clearly drafted as a nod to his dad who played and coached in Carolina with McDermott and under GM Beane. Was bad in TC and never made the roster or even considered for the PS.

The final grade on this draft with depend on the two first round picks in Allen and Edmunds. However the signs so far appear as though the Bills have their cornerstones on offense and defense. Phillips, Johnson and Teller all provide great depth and starter ability which rounds out the draft quite nicely. The book is still out on Neal and McLoud but I don't expect much.

23 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

it ain't gonna work with him. Last year at the combine they were running a basic corner angle drill where you backpedal, plant, and then burst forward at an angle. The drill can be used to see the burst that a corner has in order to break on the ball, useful drill for off-man coverage and most zone coverage. He didn't know how to do it. Not like, he wasn't sure of the directions, which way to go, what kind of step they wanted, or anything like that. He didn't know how to backpedal properly. He kept standing up in the backpedal and then when the coach corrected him on it he was doing the drill painfully slow. I've never seen that before. I think he may have planted with the wrong foot too. I don't know what the coaches did with him at Iowa, but that's a basic-level drill that most high schools even utilize. I don't know how he's even gotten this far if things like that haven't been taught to him, it's like if a quarterback didn't know how to throw to his left (oh wait that's Cody Kessler)

Name the last time an Iowa who came out that was viewed as a capable man corner?  They don't teach their corners that way.  They play with one eye on the QB at all time, and they're often giving cushion to the receiver.  They don't play man coverage, and they certainly don't teach things.  The question with Josh Jackson, is it a technique issue or is it a physical issue?  You watch him play in the preseason, you would have thought that he would be doing big things in the regular season.  And it's not necessarily like he's getting abused routinely.  We're seeing him panic and end up grabbing a receiver.  He'll be in perfect spot, the WR makes a second move, and Jacksons starts panicking.

Taven Bryan - Pretty underwhelming so far. We played him at the 5T which clearly he wasn't comfortable at most of the year up until a few weeks ago. Can tell he's still quite raw, but he has started to flash as we moved him back to 3T more often. 

DJ Chark - Wasn't a great rookie campaign. He did show he can be very good as a Gunner on ST but he made quite a few bonehead mistakes. Hard to have a great read on him with who our QB was all year, but not a great start.

Ronnie Harrison - Everything I had hoped for and expected when we drafted him. Sat behind Church for most of the year and just got hurt this past week and placed on IR, but whenever he's been on the field he's made imoact plays and stood out. I think we got our SS for the next several years with this one.

Will Richardson - Basically a redshirt year. Was placed on IR early on with injury. Seems like a guy that may be the teams starting RT going into next year with Parnell falling off but hard to tell with putting him on the shelf early if that was the plan or they were very unimpressed. So hard to grade that one.

Tanner Lee - Knew it was an awful pick (although it was round 6) from the get go. He looks and is awful.

Leon Jacobs - Starting SAM found in round 7. Really big fan of this guy. Not like he's played a lot of snaps as again, SAM has a limited role in this defense, but felt he held his own for the most part.

Logan Cooke - Has been up and down at times but largely up as of late. Probably our punter for the long term. Solid pick.

So overall I'd give it probably a C/C- at this point, but it's too early for a grade in all reality. Have no idea how to feel about Bryan or Chark yet, although I'm kind of worried based on the early results with both.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, bananabucket said:

Speaking of LVE vs *insert player here* 

iHNiToX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Leonard has done great but to be fair your DC is a ILB coaching prodigy and might be featuring him. I'm not taking anything away from Leonard but it does balance out when it comes to coaching. Sean Lee had his best years under Eberflus

Sam Darnold-Has stepped it up majorly over the past three weeks.  Has 6 TD's/1INT and a quarterback rating over 100 over those game.  If we see this more often, we have our franchise guy.

Nathan Sheperd- Guy barely plays.  He'll be 26 next year.  Future looks bleak.

Chris Herndon-Looks like a potential steal in the draft.  Might be the best rookie TE we've ever had.  With a strong week next week, he could reach 500 receiving yards.

Parry Nickerson-Flashed a little bit in the pre-season.  The starting slot corner spot could be his to lose next year depending on how our GM handles the off-season.

Folorunso Fatukasi-Another guy who never plays. I think he'll be cut next year.

Trenton Cannon-Has a chance to stick as a third back/gadget guy/ST guy.  

My rookies brings all the fans to the yard,
And they're like,
They're better than yours,
Damn right they're better than yours,
We gonna crush you,
Browns are now in charge
I know you want it,
The thing that makes them,
What the fan go crazy for.
They lose their minds,
The way we ball,
I think its time

Baker Mayfield - Only the greatest QB to ever set foot on a football field. About to break Peyton Manning records in his 1st year. Tom Brady who?

Denzel Ward - Darrelle Revis' island has just been repossessed due to lack of talent to back up the nickname. New owner is Denzel Ward. 6 forced turnovers and a blocked FG. Teams don't throw his way because they aren't good enough to throw his way.

Nick Chubb - 27 yards shy of 1000 yards and he didn't even get more than 3 carries in any of his first 6 games. Making touchdown catched that would make Randy Moss blush. Saquon Barkley only has better stats because he got to start all year and Eli Manning doesn't throw the ball down field. Forget value in where they were drafted I'd take Chubb over Barkley straight up.

Genard Avery - The next James Harrison/Adalius Thomas except better. 4.5 half sacks in part time duty. Best edge defender against the run and he can move well in coverage. Steal of the draft,

Antonio Calloway - Big play threat whos going to be the next mid round stud WR. Already nearly tripled Antoino Brown's rookie stats and that is with several big plays and TD called back by OL penalties.

Austin Corbett - just waiting his turn. Can't fault the guy for not playing when we have 3 big time contract on the interior line who are playing lights out football. Browns are just keeping him stashed until they need him. The next Bruce Matthews for sure.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, IDOG_det said:
On 12/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, FinneasGage said:

I was not super high on Josh Jackson either, but for the 2nd round value I was cool with the pick (still wanted Anthony Miller).  But we have him cheap for 4 years. Let him figure it out and if not move him to safety like Micah Hyde. IIRC Dre Kirkpatrick didn't know how to backpedal either and he turned out to be a solid player

On 12/22/2018 at 7:45 PM, canadaluvsdallas said:

Leonard has done great but to be fair your DC is a ILB coaching prodigy and might be featuring him. I'm not taking anything away from Leonard but it does balance out when it comes to coaching. Sean Lee had his best years under Eberflus

I just want to say I am so happy with hos Eberflus is succeeding in Indy after he got screwed by McDaniels 

Archived