Your favorite games as a Raiders fan

Nightmare

Inspired by the mention of the Raiders win in Pittsburgh in 2009 and Bruce Gradkowski's career game, I was trying to think which games would be up there as my favorites since becoming a Raiders fan. I first got into the sport and instantly picked the Raiders in around 2000, and really started following properly in 2002 (which I guess was great timing...) - that said, being based in the UK, it was hard to watch the games live back then, and so I don't have many memories at all of games from these good times. Since then, we've had 16 years of (mostly) absolute garbage, but with a few decent seasons sprinkled in. Even in among all the losses, though, there have been some great wins. Tough wins on the road, blowouts of rivals, individual great performances. I've tried to make a top 5 from all of them (and gone with honorable mentions after because I couldn't decide between a few):

1. Broncos 24-25 Raiders - Nov 24, 2004, Denver
Who can forget Ron Curry's snow angel at Mile High? A Sunday Night Football game, I stayed up until 4am watching this one, and still vividly remember Jerry Porter making Champ Bailey look bad. By far the best win in the ill-fated Norv Turner/Kerry Collins era, and definitely worth sleepwalking through school on Monday for. My favorite game for all the cool factors: beating a divisional rival, on their turf, in the snow, with a one-point margin of victory.

2. Steelers 24-27 Raiders - Dec 6, 2009, Pittsburgh
BRUCE. The game I thought we'd lost on three separate occasions in that 4th quarter. We kept letting the Steelers take the lead, and then Gradkowski kept snatching it back again. He seemed like a really nice guy, and I'm glad he had his career day for us in front of all his family (and obviously that we beat those guys as well).

3. Broncos 14-59 Raiders - Oct 24, 2010, Denver
Another one in Denver. 35-7 up at HT, 59 points in three quarters of football, Darren freakin' McFadden. Don't think much more needs to be said.

4. Raiders 45-42 Browns (OT) - Sep 30, 2018, Oakland
Simple reason for picking this really - I was there. Really exciting game, and glad that my one visit to the Oakland Coliseum served up a classic. Shame about the rest of the season, though...

5. Raiders 20-13 Steelers - Oct 29, 2006, Oakland
Art Shell was the HC, Tom Walsh was the OC, Andrew Walter was the QB. A team so badly coached and an offense so downright awful that they really didn't deserve to win any games at all. They did win two, though, and one of them was against the Superbowl champion Steelers. Andrew Walter completed 5 passes for a total of 51 yards, and we still won the game. I remember Burgess having a field day, Kelly & Sapp in on the action as well. And of course the four interceptions, including Nnamdi with the pick six. In probably the most brutal season as a Raiders fan, this win was memorable. One of those 'watch from behind the sofa' games, but a great win.

Honorable mentions:
Raiders 30-10 Jets - Jan 12, 2002, Oakland
This playoff game is one of the few I do remember from my early days as a Raiders fan. Sacks, interceptions, and generally making Chad Pennington's life a misery.

Texans 20-25 Raiders - Oct 9, 2011, Houston
The RIP Al Davis game. Michael Huff and that emotional ending.

Saints 34-35 Raiders - Sep 11, 2016, New Orleans
Just so much fun. Two offenses piling up the points, and then JDR's bonkers decision to go for 2 to win the game, which we converted.

What are your favorite games as a Raiders fan? Top 5, top 10, even just your best, doesn't really matter. Would be interesting to see the lists from some of the slightly older fans who actually saw some glory times as well, and of course from those who have actually been to games.

Oakland 35 Carolina 32 - November 27 2016. 

Oakland 27 at Pittsburgh 24 - December 6 2009. 

Oakland 23 Kansas City 20 - November 7 2010.

Oakland 25 at Houston 20 - October 9 2011. 

Oakland 16 Jets 13- October 19 2008

Oakland 28 at Baltimore 27 - October 2 2016.

12 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

59-14 game. Bruce Gradkwoski vs Pittsburgh. Carson Palmer on TNF vs San Diego. Jamarcus punks Denver in their own house when starting out of desperation. The penalty game vs the Bucs in 2016. Honestly a lot of 2016 games.

And an assortment of Gannon/Rice/Woodson/Brown/Garner memories.

I was at that game in Tampa. I was actually on my honeymoon. I still have the video i took of my section when Carr threw that TD in ot. 

Good times. 

As a kid, I loved the 1997? game when Napoleon Kaufman shredded Denver. Another dark season and Denver would go on to win the super bowl, but we smacked them around and it was fun.

I remember in a game in the mid 1990s when Jerry Ball had a scoop and score against the jags to win the game. Maybe not the best game, but cool moment.

Afc title game when we beat the titans in 2002 was pretty awesome. We had some cool wins against the Jets in that era as well. Lots of good ones from the Gruden era. Carson Palmer vs. SD game on TNF was cool. The game we ran all over Denver that Sunday night game in 2016 was fun.

I got absolutely hammered when we beat up on the chargers in 2015 in San Diego. Coop was an animal that game. Murray too.

44 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Honestly a lot of 2016 games.

Weirdly, that was a year I found it tough to pick games from. We were winning games most weeks, often with late comebacks and last play deciders - so much so that I can't even remember which ones in particular bring back good memories. Totally forgot about the Bucs game being one we should have wrapped up, then nearly lost, before Carr to Roberts in OT, though - that's definitely a good shout.

Maybe some of the ones from the previous 15 years stand out so much because they were few & far between...

10/08/2000 - Raiders 34 49ers 28 OT

I remember being a kid in a sports bar with my dad watching this game. I remember the 9er kicker choking on a easy would be GW field goal, and then Gannon driving right down the field hitting Brown for the game winning TD.

10/24/2010 - Raiders 59 Broncos 14

Probably the most satisfied I've been as a Raider fan after a game. Man I did a lot of trolling that week and the team backed me up in a huge way. One of the most thorough beat downs I can ever remember. We could've easily scored 70. 

10/07/2010 - Raiders 23 Chiefs 20 OT

The Jacoby Ford game. Even watching the highlights of that game today,  I still shake my head at some of the plays he made that game. 

Raiders vs Chiefs 1999, 41-38 OT win. Gannons first year, Grudens 2nd. 

Raiders vs 49ers 2000 OT win. 

Raiders vs Broncos 2004 Snow Angel Game

Raiders vs Chiefs 23-20 2010

Raiders vs Broncos the 59-14 game 2010, sooo amazing. Years of getting smashed and we obliterate our division rival out of no where. 

Raiders vs Steelers with Bruce killing it. Was this 2009? Don’t remember.

Basically any come from behind win in 2016. Panthers, Buccaneers, Saints, Ravens, Bills, one of the Charger games... great year of entertaining games. 

2017 Raiders vs Chiefs where we had to win on the final play 3 times. I was at this game and it was utterly amazing. 

I'm a very positive person and avoid dwelling on the negative but the games I remember are the ones we lose due to a bad call such as the "Tuck Rule" game with the Patriots.  I'm still upset over that call and they subsequently removed that rule as I understand.  It wasn't even used correctly in that game.  I still hate the Patriots because of it. 

Please don't ban me from the forum for changing the subject.

6 minutes ago, S&B Bleeder said:

I'm a very positive person and avoid dwelling on the negative but the games I remember are the ones we lose due to a bad call such as the "Tuck Rule" game with the Patriots.  I'm still upset over that call and they subsequently removed that rule as I understand.  It wasn't even used correctly in that game.  I still hate the Patriots because of it. 

Please don't ban me from the forum for changing the subject.

Yes Patriot fans always think I’m arguing it’s a bad rule which is not wht i argue, the call wasn’t used correctly. 

The ball was already fully 100% tucked back in. The Tuck Rule is when you’re in the process of tucking the ball back in. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Yes Patriot fans always think I’m arguing it’s a bad rule which is not wht i argue, the call wasn’t used correctly. 

The ball was already fully 100% tucked back in. The Tuck Rule is when you’re in the process of tucking the ball back in. 

I've only watched that play 30 times...….. or more.  Brady actually brought the ball down in his right hand and touched it with his left.  That ended the process and it was a fumble.  They say our team was stronger that year than the next when we lost in the Super Bowl. 

2 minutes ago, S&B Bleeder said:

I've only watched that play 30 times...….. or more.  Brady actually brought the ball down in his right hand and touched it with his left.  That ended the process and it was a fumble.  They say our team was stronger that year than the next when we lost in the Super Bowl. 

Exactly. There was no motion anymore. It was completely and uttery tucked like a normal passer with zero motion ongoing. The tuck rule process was over. No problem if he fumbled while tucking it in and we got hit with the Tuck Rule. Would of been lame but a rule is a rule. However, the rule was not correctly called and it was a fumble. 

Anyways, guys go ahead and watch Week Raiders @ Chiefs Week 17 of 1999. I’ve been a Raider fan since ‘98 but that was the game that made me a football fan over baseball. Tremendous offensive battle and the birth of the Gruden/Gannon Regime. We eliminated the Chiefs from the playoffs. Down 17-0 and won 41-38 in OT. A classic. 

On 08/12/2018 at 3:43 AM, SilverNBlackFan said:

10/07/2010 - Raiders 23 Chiefs 20 OT

The Jacoby Ford game. Even watching the highlights of that game today,  I still shake my head at some of the plays he made that game. 

The play in OT was amazing. Jason Campbell with one of the prettiest spirals I’ve ever seen, with Ford making the diving grab and sliding another 5 yards due to the conditions. He had Flowers on toast all game.

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

2017 Raiders vs Chiefs where we had to win on the final play 3 times. I was at this game and it was utterly amazing. 

This is the one that stick out most in recent memory for me. That game was bananas crazy and Coop was unstoppable.

Archived