Redskins and D.C working to slip stadium proposal into omnibus spending bill

turtle28

Of course Snyder wants the RFK site.  It's better than going into Virginia, but not by much.  Parking is going to be at a premium, and would essentially eliminate most of the tailgating going on.  For those who went to RFK and tailgated.......tell me I'm wrong, please.  I went with my dad as a little kid, and we always rode Metro in, but I imagine he charges a premium for parking at that place.  Plus the PSL fee before you even get to season tickets.  I'm probably going to tap out and say no.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Of course Snyder wants the RFK site.  It's better than going into Virginia, but not by much.  Parking is going to be at a premium, and would essentially eliminate most of the tailgating going on.  For those who went to RFK and tailgated.......tell me I'm wrong, please.  I went with my dad as a little kid, and we always rode Metro in, but I imagine he charges a premium for parking at that place.  Plus the PSL fee before you even get to season tickets.  I'm probably going to tap out and say no.  

Its not better than MD or VA. Its actually worse.

And you're not wrong (bolded). This will kill tailgating. Which is one of the best parts of the game day experience. Of course then it forces you to buy food and drink at the stadium. Which is of course why Snyder wants it.

If it goes to DC, I'll probably never go to a home game again. And I'm very much not alone in this assessment. Most of the people who I know come from out in Fairfax Co., Loudoun Co., and Prince William Co. (and even from points east in MD) to the current stadium, do so because of the tailgating experience as well as the easier way to get to and from the stadium. I hated going into DC last night just for a company Christmas dinner.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Its not better than MD or VA. Its actually worse.

And you're not wrong (bolded). This will kill tailgating. Which is one of the best parts of the game day experience. Of course then it forces you to buy food and drink at the stadium. Which is of course why Snyder wants it.

If it goes to DC, I'll probably never go to a home game again. And I'm very much not alone in this assessment. Most of the people who I know come from out in Fairfax Co., Loudoun Co., and Prince William Co. (and even from points east in MD) to the current stadium, do so because of the tailgating experience as well as the easier way to get to and from the stadium. I hated going into DC last night just for a company Christmas dinner.

Spoken like a Northern Virginian. Just bc there’s too many ppl who live in Nova and your roads suck, is not the rest of the DMV’s problem.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Spoken like a Northern Virginian. Just bc there’s too many ppl who live in Nova and your roads suck, is not the rest of the DMV’s problem.

Huh? How does NoVa’s roads suck? And there’s not too many people that live in NoVa. There’s too many people from Maryland who trash Virginia but then trek themselves down here every day to work because their state is an S-hole. 

53 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Huh? How does NoVa’s roads suck? And there’s not too many people that live in NoVa. There’s too many people from Maryland who trash Virginia but then trek themselves down here every day to work because their state is an S-hole. 

Because more people live there. There’s more traffic in nova than even in MD because there’s so many people. I know, I’ve traveled there for 11 years bc my job moved from DC to Merrifield/Fairfax and then to Triangle bc our union president wanted to be closer to his home in Stafford which he chose to buy way down there bc houses were so much cheaper than in Nova or MoCo in 1982 when he got elected. 

I-95 south from 1 pm until 7 pm is a straight up parking lot everyday, even with the hot lanes, same with 66 from DC to VA in the evenings and 395.

You're last line is a load of garbage. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

This.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, no. Everytime I go into MD and DC, the roads are crumbling and some a-hole MD driver wants to drive 5 miles under the speed limit in the left lane.

"Crabcakes and Left Laning. That's what Maryland does!"

Btw, the "DMV" is the Department of Motor Vehicles

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Because more people live there. There’s more traffic in nova than even in MD because there’s so many people. I know, I’ve traveled there for 11 years bc my job moved from DC to Merrifield/Fairfax and then to Triangle bc our union president wanted to be closer to his home in Stafford which he chose to buy way down there bc houses were so much cheaper than in Nova or MoCo in 1982 when he got elected. 

I-95 south from 1 pm until 7 pm is a straight up parking lot everyday, even with the hot lanes, same with 66 from DC to VA in the evenings and 395.

You're last line is a load of garbage. 

Lol...Quantico/Stafford area is the last part of NoVa south and basically the start of central VA. You literally passed through all of NoVA to get to a bottleneck. And its those people living in Fredericksburg and further south (from central VA) coming north to work who create the problem. Roads aren't the problem

Know what's worse? Yeah, any part of the beltway in MD during morning and evening rush hour. And don't get me started on 270. Its a traffic nightmare every morning.

I have a guy working for me who comes from Clarksburg to Springfield every day. His morning commute is hell until he hits VA and then we have to let him leave at 2:30 or he's gonna take 2+ hours to get home because once he gets near the Legion bridge his commute goes to hell again.

I went to OC for Thanksgiving week. I knew from past experience not to go clockwise aroubd the beltway on Saturday morning because its a stop and go nightmare (on a Saturday). So this time I went Wilson bridge and then up 95 to 50. I had ZERO issue on the beltway in VA. Everyone moving at speed (or faster). As soon as I crossed the Wilson bridge, it went down to 30mph. At times we slowed to 15mph. On the beltway. Nothing but MD drivers in front of me. No accidents on my traffic app. Nothing. Just MD drivers doing what they usually do...screw up everyone else's commute.

Btw, it took me 40 minutes to get from Leesburg to tge Wilson bridge. It took an HOUR to go from the Wilson bridge to 50.

I also used to work in New Carrollton for years. Traffic always sucked until I got back into VA. 

As for 66 DC to VA, its actually gotten much better since HOT was introduced. Takes me a little over 30 minutes to get to the Dulles Toll Road when I'm leaving at rush hour. Try moving anywhere on 295 at rush hour.

Now...into DC. Ive had to go pick my MIL up at Union Station quite a bit. Leaving Springfield north on 395? No problem. I get to the Potomac river in about 15-20 minutes. It then takes another 15-20 minutes just to cross the bridge into the city. Another 10-15 minutes to get to Constitution. And the same (10-15) to get to Union Station. This is at evening rush hour when everyone is going the other way.  So if you're counting"

15-20 minutes in VA. Then another 35-40 minutes IN DC from where I start.

However, once I have her, I'm now going WITH rush hour traffic. It takes 45 minutes to get to the Roosevelt bridge (at rush hour) from Union Station. That is like 4 miles. It takes me only 30 minutes to get from Potomac River to the Toll Road. 

All that said...back to the topic.

Yeah, DC traffic sucks. Not going to a game if its back in the city. I'd rather keep dealing with left laning MD drivers and going to Landover.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yup. Just take a look at the beltway at rush hour MD is a mess and VA is clear. Only part of VA that is a mess is North on 495 to MD in the morning (and then Bethesda to VA in the evening) and that's because MD has yet to widen the beltway on their side. Despite the years of construction.

Yeah, clearly its our poor roads that are the issue. Lol

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Just take a look at the beltway at rush hour MD is a mess and VA is clear. Only part of VA that is a mess is North on 495 to MD in the morning (and then Bethesda to VA in the evening) and that's because MD has yet to widen the beltway on their side. Despite the years of construction.

Yeah, clearly its our poor roads that are the issue. Lol

The beltway goes through Md & Va. It’s a mess all over and at any random part of the day. I travel the roads all day at various times of the day given my job that I live in MD, work sometimes in DC - both downtown and around Capitol Hill - and have to travel NoVa/Arlington/Fairfax area and Prince William county too. 

Now if you named I-270, then I could agree but its still not as bad as 395 & 66. 66 is a parking lot bc the greenies in Alrlington country won’t agree to expand the road inside the beltway. That’s it’s main problem, and I’m not sure it ever gets better until 66 goes from 4 to 8 plus lanes inside the beltway.

24 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Arlington for life. Please don’t put a stadium anywhere near me

Don’t have to worry about it, there’s no room. The new stadium is either going to be where RFK is or in London County near Redskins Park IMO.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The beltway goes through Md & Va. It’s a mess all over and at any random part of the day. I travel the roads all day at various times of the day given my job that I live in MD, work sometimes in DC - both downtown and around Capitol Hill - and have to travel NoVa/Arlington/Fairfax area and Prince William county too. 

Now if you named I-270, then I could agree but its still not as bad as 395 & 66. 66 is a parking lot bc the greenies in Alrlington country won’t agree to expand the road inside the beltway. That’s it’s main problem, and I’m not sure it ever gets better until 66 goes from 4 to 8 plus lanes inside the beltway.

Um, Turtle, I'm from this area. Lived here my whole life. I know where the beltway goes. Yes, it CAN be a mess in different spots depending upon accidents, etc... but the reason why things usually get blocked up in VA is because of the MD side. For example, inner loop of 495 at evening rush hour. Gets backed up in VA...why? MD.

We agree on 270.

And absolutely on widening 66. It boggles my mind that 66 hasn't been widened further yet. Even then, its not a parking lot. The slowest I've gone on 66 during evening rush hour (and I used to do it a lot when I had to pick up my wife in DC) was about 40mph until you get to the East Falls Church metro. Then it slows to about 20moh for about all of 30 seconds. And then back to 40mph to the Dulles Access Road. Parking lot is 495N inner loop going to MD in the evening and the morning. And those same spots on the MD side. of the legion bridge

Archived