Cyrus Jones - What happens to the former 2nd Rounder?

Deadpulse

Cyrus Jones  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What happens to him?

• He gets cut
    • He makes the team but stays burried on the DC
    • He makes the team and begins to improve, carving out a Dime package role
    • He makes the team purely due to return value
    • He gets traded

He had a few nice returns on Saturday, leading BB to say:

"I thought Cyrus did a good job in the return game, both punts and kickoffs," Belichick said in his Sunday afternoon conference call. "He ran hard, ran aggressively, made good decisions with and without the ball. We had a couple situations where the ball hit the ground or was going out of bounds."

A big reason the Patriots went with Jones was due to his return ability, but he has been lacking there thus far until Saturday. Will he continue to show in the return game? Will his ST value save him from a cut? Should he be cut this year? Traded? 

Can he rebound as a Corner? Maybe switch to Safety?

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Probably see flashes of him in obvious passing downs.

You think he gets playing time in Dime packages? Heres the snap count for last season:

Logan Ryan CB 0 0% 897 86.00% 3 .67% Logan Ryan 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Malcolm Butler CB 0 0% 1008 96.64% 0 0% Malcolm Butler 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Eric Rowe CB 0 0% 452 43.34% 7 1.56% Eric Rowe 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Jonathan Jones CB 0 0% 64 6.14% 307 68.53% Jonathan Jones 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Cyrus Jones CB 0 0% 147 14.09% 51 11.38% Cyrus Jones 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Justin Coleman CB 0 0% 227 21.76% 65 14.51%

First 2 columns are offense, the defense, then ST

If he continues to show up on returning job through out the remaining preseason games, I believe he eventually makes the cut just on his returning skills. I don't think he will improve in CB duties, he just look lost and don't sees to have good fundamentals. I also wouldn't count on a move to safety or something like that.

I think he'll make the team only on the merit that there seem to be no better options available at CB right now, but will remain on the bottom of the DC. BB won't keep him just to defend the pick, but who else is out there (FA or via trade) who could take his place?

12 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

You think he gets playing time in Dime packages? Heres the snap count for last season:

Logan Ryan CB 0 0% 897 86.00% 3 .67% Logan Ryan 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Malcolm Butler CB 0 0% 1008 96.64% 0 0% Malcolm Butler 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Eric Rowe CB 0 0% 452 43.34% 7 1.56% Eric Rowe 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Jonathan Jones CB 0 0% 64 6.14% 307 68.53% Jonathan Jones 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Cyrus Jones CB 0 0% 147 14.09% 51 11.38% Cyrus Jones 2016 game-by-game snap counts
Justin Coleman CB 0 0% 227 21.76% 65 14.51%

First 2 columns are offense, the defense, then ST

Can't work out what the 0% is? 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Oh I see. 147 snaps then, more than I thought. 

More than I thought too. Surprised he had more than Jonathan Jones, but Jones contributions to STs is much more significant.

It also looks like Justin Coleman was ahead of him both on defense as the dime back and ST. Anyone see how he has looked so far this pre-season?

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

More than I thought too. Surprised he had more than Jonathan Jones, but Jones contributions to STs is much more significant.

It also looks like Justin Coleman was ahead of him both on defense as the dime back and ST. Anyone see how he has looked so far this pre-season?

You know what they say, the less you hear about a CB the better he's probably doing his job...

2 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

I bet he makes the team and grows into a role on both defense and special teams. Seems like a bit of confidence would go a long way for him.

See I wonder if he's not the type of guy who just needs a fresh start elsewhere, a guy who just doesnt fit in with the Patriots. 

Archived