Aaron Rodgers SUCKED Against the Cardinals (Gif Edition)

AlexGreen#20

I want to start off by saying that Rodgers is clearly the most talented QB to ever play in the NFL.

That said, this game was some rookie level nonsense. 

++++++++

18:

https://media.giphy.com/media/31X6IKKtIOko5He4st/giphy.gif

Why is every throw low? Obviously you expect Crosby to make a 48 yarder, but if Cobb could have gotten to even the 25 here, we’re talking about a much better chance on the field goal. He could have gotten to the 25 with a decent throw here, but Rodgers is obsessed with throwing the ball between his receivers knees rather than any place they can get some YAC

+++

17:

https://media.giphy.com/media/2vlmoAxDWdXaeqHoRK/giphy.gif

Why is every throw low? If this is a decent ball, Adams can catch it and get out of bounds to preserve some clock, instead the ball is once again thrown between his knees, Adams has to dive for it and we’re killing clock.

+++

16:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ahw91mCJR3D9cqMSFb/giphy.gif

Why is every throw low? Some will say that this is a drop, but I’m going to argue that it shouldn’t be a drop when you’re having to make a really nice play to scoop every ball. Ignoring the end result of this play, what the hell is Rodgers doing with his feet here? Fundamentals are garbage.

+++

15:

https://media.giphy.com/media/2YmyUtqLKIGjJShiHv/giphy.gif

I don’t know whether or not to blame this on MVS’ route or Rodgers’ throw. I’m leaning Rodgers based on the absolutely horrific ball placement on the last three plays, and also the fact that other QBs aren’t routinely putting out routes into the sideline. He let this ball go just as MVS was starting his break, and I don’t see anyway this was getting caught based on where this break happened. Even if this stem was supposed to be one step shorter, he needs to adjust this throw. Playing football requires some ability to improvise.

+++

14:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3kw7BArUjsuXIQ2zyM/giphy.gif

Randall Cobb is wide freaking open, right in front of Rodgers’ face. Passing up a 5 yard gain with time ticking down in order to scramble around for six more seconds before dumping it off to the running back for a gain of zero is just moronic. He’s better off throwing it away than throwing to Williams at that point. Maybe he’s waiting for Tonyan to come back to the ball (what the hell is this guy doing btw), but that still doesn’t justify passing up a first down to Cobb.

+++

13:

https://imgur.com/ldj8AUW

Was this a drop? Yes. Was the ball placement lousy? Also yes. More importantly, what the hell is the purpose of having Jimmy Graham on this team if you’re not going to give him the ball in this set? I get that Adams has been a stud all game here, but there’s no way you’re telling me that Adams isolated against a top 5 CB in the NFL is a better matchup than Graham versus a linebacker who is lined up on the line of scrimmage? Rodgers never even looked at that side of the field.

+++

12:

https://imgur.com/QfMxa3i

In fairness, 3rd and 21 isn’t something you expect to convert. Down and distance just isn’t in your favor here. Expecting a first down isn’t fair here.

With all that said, Kendricks is open and may have even gotten the first down with a perfect throw at the bottom of the screen. That clear out action worked exactly as it was drawn up.

I don’t expect Rodgers to make that throw deep. That’s an almost impossible throw and there’s only a handful of QBs ever who can 55 yards deep and across the field with any semblance of accuracy, but this is the sort of unbelievable throw that Rodgers used to occasionally make. I’m not filing this under the heading of “Rodgers can’t throw deep anymore” but I’m leaving it on top of the filing cabinet. The bigger error is not getting Kendricks this ball.

+++

11:

https://imgur.com/cNVYsvN

This play right here is the one that makes me madder than hell. It’s 3rd and 7 here. This checkdown to Graham doesn’t accomplish anything. There’s a throw to be made here, to Cobb running that middle slant. It’s a tight throw, the blitz is coming down on him, and it’s going to require a pinpoint accurate ball, but this needs to get thrown. I’m not a believer that Rodgers is playing to preserve his 1 INT season, but man when you watch a play like this, it’s hard not to think about it. The man hasn’t thrown any throw with any risk associated with it all damn year.

+++

10:

https://imgur.com/03fiPcZ

Another low throw. God forbid we let our receivers make a play with the ball in their hands. Is this a drop? Arguably yes. But I don’t like calling anything a drop when the ball is unnecessarily at their ankles. Our best guy with the ball in his hands, and we can’t get him anything because of horrible throws.

+++

9:

https://imgur.com/jcI9fVb

Another ball that I don’t know whether to put on MVS’ route running or Rodgers throw. Even if MVS turns harder inside, this ball is still over his shoulder where the DB might be able to paw at it. More confusing is why Rodgers never even looks towards Davante Adams and instead chooses to stare down MVS.

+++

8:

https://imgur.com/1Mq9rbj

Can Jimmy Graham get a god damn look? When you run play action, you have to expect that the linebacker is going to bite hard enough that he might blitz because he’s too far forward to drop back. I get that Byron Bell does a lousy job of this, but come on. We’ve got guys wide open in the middle of the field and they’re not getting the ball.

+++

7:

https://imgur.com/zJLGWb9

What the hell is the point of running a clear out for a guy if you’re not going to throw him the ball when it works? Graham runs the clear out for EQ on the slant here, it works perfectly and we don’t get him the ball. Why is this ball getting held? It leads to a sack, Nobody else was even open on this play.

+++

6:

https://imgur.com/1UtQMar

Beautiful play design, sucking everybody in with the bubble screen action to get Adams open deep. And Rodgers can’t throw a deep ball.

+++

5:

https://media.giphy.com/media/1g1LBYm11M13sWK7Tf/giphy.gif

Quarters coverage up top. MVS reads this perfectly and is wide open. Rodgers thinks it’s Cover-2 and tries to feed Graham, splitting a nonexistent seam. Absolutely inexcusable for a veteran QB to be missing these reads. Even more inexcusable to be throwing this ball into triple coverage. Absolutely horrific read, decision, and throw.

+++

4:

https://imgur.com/JeDHU6T

Chris Collinsworth always losses his mind about how Aaron throws these bubble screens without setting his feet. He thinks it’s the coolest thing ever that Rodgers gets his receiver that extra half second by throwing off platform and without the laces. That only works if the ball is well placed and this one wasn’t. Jones has to get backwards in order to catch this ball, taking his momentum in the opposite direction he needs to be going. Quick screens need to be quick and Jones does a good job getting back to the line here. If Rodgers can’t do the fancy stuff, he needs to get back to doing things by the book.

+++

3:

https://media.giphy.com/media/FpSY8be0NoQV1DJTZ0/giphy.gif

Two things to talk about here: First, the throw to EQ. Second, the miss of two absolute layup throws to Graham and Adams.

The throw to EQ was lousy. EQ’s got a step here and is pulling away from the defender. Rodgers throws it behind EQ, letting the defender get back into the play. Should EQ have caught this? Yes. Was it a good throw? Absolutely not.

The second thing that’s frustrating here is that the over/under route concept has the safety on a string here. I don’t even know if he’s aware of Adams filling in behind him, but Adams is wide freaking open here. There’s nobody near him. This was a good safe throw for a first down that would have been just fine to make. Might have even been the same yardage depending on how fast the Cardinals defense closes down.

+++

2:

https://media.giphy.com/media/456Y3aM7LSiQZGd8fM/giphy.gif

I get that there’s pressure here, I really do, but what the hell is it going to take to get Jimmy Graham the god damn football here? Short of sending an emissary over to the Packers huddle and announcing that this was a 2-deep safety look, the Cardinals couldn’t have made this any more obvious. The Chargers murdered the Cardinals on this exact same look and route concept the entire game the week before.

+++

1:

https://imgur.com/qfUXjaQ

EQ is wide freaking open here. The strong side of the field is literally Rodgers first read here, so I don’t know how it gets missed. The read is literally, if the CB goes with EQ, check down to Cobb, if the CB stays down, throw to EQ. That’s how the play is designed and for some unknown reason to me this ball doesn’t get thrown. Does he not think he can fit this ball between the CB and the Safety? Absolutely bewildering.

+++

Am I being too harsh on these? I’ll be the first to admit that Rodgers has gotten on my last damn nerve this year, but I’m trying to keep that out of my evaluation when I’m looking at these. Let me know if there are any you disagree on.

I’m deeply worried that this man has the reins of this organization for the next three years. Hopefully he can get it turned around (starting next year) but this isn’t encouraging stuff.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Am I being too harsh on these? I’ll be the first to admit that Rodgers has gotten on my last damn nerve this year, but I’m trying to keep that out of my evaluation when I’m looking at these. Let me know if there are any you disagree on.

I’m deeply worried that this man has the reins of this organization for the next three years. Hopefully he can get it turned around (starting next year) but this isn’t encouraging stuff.

Film speaks for film so not being overly harsh. That being said, I just can't believe that this is a talent issue that is here to stay with Rodgers. Someone with his talent does not simply fall off of the table. Few things I'd point to: 

1. Rodgers hasn't played a full game 100% "healthy" since October 2017. I still think the leg is bothering him. Not like it was in Week 5, but it's still there and it has impacted him both physically and mentally. To this day, we have never learned exactly what the injury was, how serious it was, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear something come out during the off-season that it was an injury that would have sidelined most other players for an extended period of time. The the effects of the injury itself are apparent. Rodgers' mechanics including his footwork simply have not been there this season. 

2. Rodgers has played 90% of the year with a single receiving target that he played with in 2017 or earlier. Cobb has been out. Allison has been out. It's been Adams and the new guys (Graham, and the rookies). It's not a secret (whether a problem with Rodgers or not) that he and new targets take longer to mesh than the average QB. This goes up exponentially when talking about rookie WRs. Let's not pretend the rookie WRs have not been inconsistent as hell as well. It's a mixed bag there for both Rodgers and those WRs. It's almost like Rodgers is a recovering alcoholic and Jordy was his drink of choice. Probably takes a year. 

3. The McCarthy effect. This one I don't want to believe because I don't want to believe that Rodgers would intentionally not play his best in order to make it more likely that MM would get fired. But can we completely discount it? You just pointed out probably by far his worst performance of the year against the Cardinals which just so happened to correspond to the direct termination of McCarthy. Coincidence? At the very least, if Rodgers' relationship with MM was really that bad, maybe Rodgers lost some passion as the season went on...

4. Danica Patrick -- she's responsible for this in some way or degree, we just don't know why yet. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Having watched almost all Packers Games on replays ( coaches film on NFL Game Pass), yeah he is starting to make me not want to watch Packer's football (haven't missed a game since my first game in 1995). I think he feels the pressure of being the highest paid player in the NFL.  When other QB's had that mark they didn't really hold the title of "best" QB.  

Rodgers reminds me M. Mariota, never takes any chances, stats look good but looking at the film or watching the entire game you scratch your head.  Players are getting open and Rodgers is just not taking any chances.  If you watch guys like Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees they will throw the ball to the correct read based on matchup and safety position regardless of down and distance.  Tom Brady will walk up to the LOS and see a matchup they talked about during the week and immediately give the WR a chance, regardless of whether he is wide open or not.  Just run the offense already.  

I don't think your harsh at all, although I am the guy that will point out all the things you did wrong on an 80 yard td pass and never point out the things you did right( there are other people to do that.)

37 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

1. Rodgers hasn't played a full game 100% "healthy" since October 2017. I still think the leg is bothering him. Not like it was in Week 5, but it's still there and it has impacted him both physically and mentally. To this day, we have never learned exactly what the injury was, how serious it was, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear something come out during the off-season that it was an injury that would have sidelined most other players for an extended period of time. The the effects of the injury itself are apparent. Rodgers' mechanics including his footwork simply have not been there this season. 

4. Danica Patrick -- she's responsible for this in some way or degree, we just don't know why yet. 

1.  Why can't we just watch football and judge on what we see.  I'm sick and tired of making excuses for players.  Every time someone doesn't play well there is some built in dumb as hell excuse related to injuries.  If your injured and you can't play 100% than your holding the team back and you need to think about taking a step back(not going to happen  the way most NFL contracts work).  I'm still not convinced he's got some mystery injury that we don't all know about that the Packers are hiding, and if he does have one that say goodbye to some draft picks.

4.  Yeah, and we know, us guys at least...

He's played piss poor all season.  Nice review AG.  The videos posted just drive home that point.  He better get serious for next year has a lot of work to do this offseason.  Hopefully he regain his form.  What bothered me most on Sunday was his attitude.  Already went on my rant won't do it again but poor play and careless attitude go hand and hand.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's okay, bro; McCarthy isn't here anymore. Some better coaching, and maybe we will not be reliant on Rodgers to be God Mode every week and actually have a cohesive unit!

3 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

It's okay, bro; McCarthy isn't here anymore. Some better coaching, and maybe we will not be reliant on Rodgers to be God Mode every week and actually have a cohesive unit!

You know the obvious response to this is maybe if Rodgers didn't blatantly suck, McCarthy would still be the head coach.

This thread shows all the evidence in the world McCarthy was not to blame for the loss and you're still blaming him.  

59 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You know the obvious response to this is maybe if Rodgers didn't blatantly suck, McCarthy would still be the head coach.

This thread shows all the evidence in the world McCarthy was not to blame for the loss and you're still blaming him.  

I've addressed this point previously. Even if Rodgers is 100% to blame for the bad passing game this season (he's not, Brett Kollman's video shows the other side of this problem is MM has often made things unnecessarily difficult, which I would argue is why Rodgers is in the funk he's in, but let that aside) ...

... there are still many, many areas where McCarthy has been poor as a coach that do not involve Rodgers at all, and the idea that "well if Rodgers played better it'd be fine!" just goes back to the lazy attitude of just relying on Rodgers's good play to cover up all the other holes on this team.

Rodgers having a bad year this year does not take away from the idea that the coach also blows and that we need to help him by fielding a better overall unit.

The low throws and throwing behind his receivers  are the most baffling, he never used to throw it in the dirt or behind this often. It's gotta be something that's bothering him with his knee or even his shoulder from last years injury that's messed with his quick release and accuracy. You just hope Rodgers turns it around next year with fresh blood all over and he really buys into the new coach. But if it continues into next year and we have a lot of great new pieces around him, we have a serious problem. I'm leaning on him turning it around because I still think he's still got the talent in him, but if he stacks years like this it's hard to have confidence in him going forward. He's been so good for so long, this is foreign territory for packers fans. It's hard to process.

I still say it's the knee. Either he still can't put proper weight on it or he hasn't adjusted back to being able to do so. That would explain throws in the dirt. Either that or he has regressed to being Rich Campbell in the offseason. Toss in a healthy dose of not trusting the OL as well. QB's don't like stepping into a mass of 300lb bodies

Archived