Spiderman: Far from home

NcFinest9erFan

I thought it was great. It's right up there with Spider-Man 2 as the best Spidey film of all time, maybe even topping it out as the best.

It dragged in spots, but that 3rd act and final fight scene was something else. 

I'm kinda disappointed in 

No Norman Osborn/Avengers Tower refurbished into OsCorp

though.

Went and saw it this weekend.  I had stayed away from all reviews and went into it "blind".

Came away thinking it was the second best sequel movie that Marvel has made thus far.  ...right behind Winter Soldier.

Careful...some pseudo spoilers may be in here.

I thought that the first movie, Homecoming, was a "kid" movie.  Like it was made to be kid friendly because Spider Man was just a kid in there.  Totally loved the scene when he was buried and had to become a man.  But that was about it for me concerning that movie.

This one?  Man, to me it nailed everything.  Loved the Mysterio angle.  Loved how it was all done.  I thought they did a great job with MJ.  I didn't care much for her in the first movie, but in this one, she was better.  Still awkward, which I think is the point of her, but she really pulled it off. Loved the young love angle, bad first kiss, going back for another one...etc.  Loved the passing of the tech torch when on the plane.

And the final fight scene to me was just great.  Along the way there were those great laughs regarding, uh, the alternate name for Spidey Sense.

To me, I enjoyed this movie more than Endgame.  As in I liked it so much, I may go see it again in a few days.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Maybe its been asked in the thread but anyone think the first post credit is really an illusion? 

The one with J Jonah?  Perhaps, but i'm thinking no.  In the MCU, most of the supers true identities are public.  Having Pete's identify come out seems like a shocking thing, but probably isn't that big of a deal.  The real impact will likely be that it prompts him to take a more active role with the Avengers because he can't go to school anymore.

I do think Mysterio is still alive however and that we'll see him again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Hide contents

The one with J Jonah?  Perhaps, but i'm thinking no.  In the MCU, most of the supers true identities are public.  Having Pete's identify come out seems like a shocking thing, but probably isn't that big of a deal.  The real impact will likely be that it prompts him to take a more active role with the Avengers because he can't go to school anymore.

I do think Mysterio is still alive however and that we'll see him again.

Yes, I think the latter is probably true. 

I liked the movie a lot, I'm not sure that I liked it better than Homecoming, but the villain in the movie was really well done. And I liked, as someone who was a fan of the 90's TV s how/comics, how they kept Mysterio close to his comic book origin.

Quick side note before my review, I rewatched Homecoming in anticipation of this, and I think i'd been a bit unfair towards it.  Better than I remembered even though my initial rewatch thoughts had it fading, I really enjoyed it this rewatch.  Definitely getting a bump up in the rankings.

Moving onto FFH, I very much enjoyed it and would definitely put it above Homecoming.  Not quite sure where it'll land but i'll re-rank the entire MCU at the end of this post.

Gyllenhaal was great as Mysterio.  Clear motivation, great tie ins to the previous MCU movies and how his team all had reasons to hate Tony Stark, and a clever re-use of something previously seemingly unrelated to tie heavy into the plot of this movie with the illusion tech.  Knowing the history of Mysterio you see the "twist" coming a mile away, but I still thought the execution of his heel turn was pitch perfect in tune with what the movie needed.  It was a great con job on Peter.  The really trippy psychedelic visions he used on Peter may have been my favorite part of the movie.  The effects for that were just excellent.

MJ's story arc was definitely much stronger in this one and I think Zendaya has been very good with what the story arc has called for from her character.

The Happy/Aunt May thing was forced humor that would have worked had they used it about 1/3 as much as they did.  Independently both characters worked fine in their supporting roles, but that dynamic was a little iffy.

The Blip stuff with the school had me rolling, that was some good comedy and I like that it created a rival for Peter in school that wasn't Flash.

All in all a very enjoyable movie that I liked better than Homecoming.  A solid A- for me.

The MCU Rankings

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. The Avengers
  7. Thor: Ragnarok
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  10. Iron Man
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger