Should Zimmer be on the hot seat? And is Spielman gone?

Countstuku

Firstly let’s start with slick rick. He’s constantly ignored the oline over the past 4 or 5 years. Trying to bring in rejects from other teams and then chucking them after a season. The problem is if your dline is bad your secondary can compensate to an extent. If your oline is bad your Rb or receivers may never get a chance to make an impact. He paid so much for a QB but gave him nothing to protect him with. There have been some great D picks, but first rounders in particular have been hit and miss. My opinion is he should be gone, but sadly won’t be.

Then there’s Zimmer. He seems to only want to draft D and the team seems to be soft at some times. The bills loss was shocking and the championship game was awful, as was the second half v the saints. IMO he doesn’t seem to install fight on the team. Even the D seems to erratic at times. Do you think the Vikings could win an SB with him? I think no. But could another coach do a better job? Maybe. I think he’s definitely safe, but the franchise has a ceiling with him as coach. Winning seasons but a soft team when it counts.

Am I right?

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Drafting Elflein in the 3rd and O'Neill in the 2nd the past 2 drafts would say otherwise. Both need to get stronger, but they should be starters next season.

I say trust the process and see where it takes us. Not all change is good change.

Einstein (paraphrased): Insanity is repeating an action that previously, repeatedly resulted in failure, and expecting a different outcome.

• Like 2

O’Neil looks like he will be ok and elfein been good when not injured, but we’ve been rebuilding the oline for 3 or 4 years and we’re back to rebuilding it again. The oline is currently ranked 30th and with cousins not being a mobile qb he needs to be protected more.

there are lots of candidates for gms we can either promote, bring in a previous gm or a coach like Marty.

Zimmer is tougher as he has a winning record, but he seems oblivious to oline problems other than the guys should play better. The team just seems to have too many strange blow out loses. I’d like to see harbaraugh or lincoln Riley, but understand that wouldn’t happen.

That might seem harsh, but he’s been here long enough to have had an input into th oline. He doesn’t seem to be backward in coming forward. So to qualify my comment he is either oblivious or it’s not as much of a priority for him, when it should be. A lot of assumptions I know, but every season for the past few seasons will he oline has always been a problem and will hinder how far we can go imo.

48 minutes ago, Countstuku said:

That might seem harsh, but he’s been here long enough to have had an input into th oline. He doesn’t seem to be backward in coming forward. So to qualify my comment he is either oblivious or it’s not as much of a priority for him, when it should be. A lot of assumptions I know, but every season for the past few seasons will he oline has always been a problem and will hinder how far we can go imo.

i'm thinking the new guy Stookie here is a duplicate account for @PrplChilPill .

• Like 1

We have been one of the better drafting teams in the league over the past few years and Zimmer has been one of the top coaches too.  Every year we have made significant improvements to this OL, but have also had some losses.  We replaced Kalil with Reiff who has been a significant upgrade.  Pat Elflein is still young, but should be a starter for a long time.  O’Neil has been playing a lot better than I expected him to, but he still shouldn’t be a starter this year; next year he should be better.  Remmers is much better at OT than OG and should be starting there over O’Neil.  Losing Berger and Easton has been quite the hit, but we needed an upgrade over them anyways.  We need two new OG’s.

I think our defensive struggles are a product of our offense struggling  which is partly due to our OL, but I think a lot of it is because of the play calling and our poor 3rd down efficiency.  If our offense could sustain drives and stay on the field longer or score earlier and get in the lead for once we would be back to having the top defense in the league.

I think the evaluating talent on the oline is a good point. The problem is the lt and rt we bought in were upgrades over even poorer players. We are ranked between 28th-30th for a reason and I just don’t see spielman getting that done. As every year for a while we know that he oline needs upgrading but it’s a big upgrade needed not a minor one. But that’s just my take.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Countstuku said:

I think the evaluating talent on the oline is a good point. The problem is the lt and rt we bought in were upgrades over even poorer players. We are ranked between 28th-30th for a reason and I just don’t see spielman getting that done. As every year for a while we know that he oline needs upgrading but it’s a big upgrade needed not a minor one. But that’s just my take.

Agree completely. The offensive line has been a glaring weakness for a long, long time. The Vikings have not invested enough resources into solving the problem. If you are a results oriented person like me it isn't even a question. What additional resources need to be invested is an open question. Certainly looking at the GM and asking whether something else should be invested to improve the situation starting right there is reasonable.

• Like 1