Sign in to follow this  
Countstuku

Should Zimmer be on the hot seat? And is Spielman gone?

I may be off base here, but some of the problems that Zimmer has as a coach, doesn't Andy Reid have similar problems? He has been more consistent in making the playoffs than Zimmer, but he consistently falls apart in the biggest moments. He has never won the Super Bowl despite having some great rosters. He consistently makes headscratching clock management decisions. I know it's not comparing apples to apples since Reid has been a "successful" HC for much longer, but his offense seems to sputter in the biggest moments, like Zimmer's defense can. I don't see Chiefs fans wanting a coaching change because Reid might not be able to win them the super bowl. Are they settling for less than the best?

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

This is the part that bothers me and I think the blame is 50/50, 50 on Zim and 50 on the players. Where are our emotional leaders? Griffen was one but not sure he'll be the same after his incident. Our other veterans let their play do the talking (Harry, Rhodes, Hunter, Kendricks, Barr, etc.) We don't have that RA-RA guy who balls out and can chew some *** when needed. Need some fire on this team.

That's an excellent point.  It would be nice if we had a Ray Lewis type of leader on the team. 

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

You only call someone out in the media if they have refused to listen to you in private.  I can guarantee you that multiple conversations (and clearly those conversations were ignored) were held in private before that happened.  Have you ever heard him call out any of his coaches in public before?  I'm waiting.  

My point was: an HC should never call one of his players or assistants out publicly. Ever. Especially when there is some sort of conflict going on. It's Business Management 101: criticize in private. What purpose did Zimmer's public comments serve, other than to make a bad situation even worse?

As much as I dislike Bill Belichick and his say-nothing interviews, at least he has a pretty good idea of what should be handled behind closed doors.

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's an excellent point.  It would be nice if we had a Ray Lewis type of leader on the team. 

Time for Dan Bailey to stand up as vocal leader of the team!

9 hours ago, vikestyle said:

I may be off base here, but some of the problems that Zimmer has as a coach, doesn't Andy Reid have similar problems? He has been more consistent in making the playoffs than Zimmer, but he consistently falls apart in the biggest moments. He has never won the Super Bowl despite having some great rosters. He consistently makes headscratching clock management decisions. I know it's not comparing apples to apples since Reid has been a "successful" HC for much longer, but his offense seems to sputter in the biggest moments, like Zimmer's defense can. I don't see Chiefs fans wanting a coaching change because Reid might not be able to win them the super bowl. Are they settling for less than the best?

My observation about Reid in the playoffs...along with Marty Schottenheimer...and perhaps Mike Zimmer...is the overall refusal to pull out the stops and add new wrinkles into the game plan for playoffs.

7 hours ago, milanb said:

My point was: an HC should never call one of his players or assistants out publicly. Ever. Especially when there is some sort of conflict going on. It's Business Management 101: criticize in private. What purpose did Zimmer's public comments serve, other than to make a bad situation even worse?

i'm sorry, but why are we using the term "called out?" what insult or professional demeaning did Zimmer say publicly other than saying he wished the offense ran the ball more?

it's also telling that with 25% of the NFL teams needing and interviewing potential coaches right now, Flip has not been interviewed by any of them.

10 hours ago, vikestyle said:

One thing is, he at least has made it in the past, so the credentials are there. He also has a very large coaching tree now. He consistently has been loosing OC’s year in and year out, so I think they give him the Benicia of the doubt. 

The other half of it is he has had time, his career didn’t exactly take off year one, missed playoffs early in his career, but also tends to at least make the playoffs almost every year. 

And lastly I think some of it is just respect. When you are that known of a coach for developing coaches, made a Super Bowl, and develops some pretty dang good players year in and year out it buys him some time. 

39 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm sorry, but why are we using the term "called out?" what insult or professional demeaning did Zimmer say publicly other than saying he wished the offense ran the ball more?

it's also telling that with 25% of the NFL teams needing and interviewing potential coaches right now, Flip has not been interviewed by any of them.

Agreed.  And Zimmer is far from the only one who has ever even inferred that there were some issues with his coaches in the public.  Belichick doesn't call out players or coaches because he truly does have his hand in everything.  He is far from just a CEO.  I wouldn't exactly call what he does as part of Business Management 101 either.  It works for him because he doesn't mind not having a life outside of football, but it doesn't work for most people. 

Knowing Zimmer's history as well as we do, what he said in public is probably far restrained from what he said in private, because he's straight-forward.  I don't have a huge issue with him saying what he said, because he didn't disrespect JDF with what he said, he just told people what he wanted to see.  

Genuinely curious here; are there many recent examples of an HC calling out out his OC's play-calling?

1 hour ago, the_cote_kid said:

Genuinely curious here; are there many recent examples of an HC calling out out his OC's play-calling?

Pete Carroll did earlier this season. Just like Zimmer, he talked about the need to run more. Schottenheimer listened. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, the_cote_kid said:

presumably many examples of a head coach telling his OC privately to do this or that more, but few examples of the OC not doing so.

again, you notice how many interviews Flip is getting right now? maybe, just maybe, Zimmer was right. and the rest of the NFL sees that.

Edited by vike daddy

Just now, TENINCH said:

Zimmer's 2020 option was picked up by the team.

It’s probably a nice selling point for potential free agents, but it’s certainly not going to prevent the team from moving in a different direction if things don’t improve. 

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s probably a nice selling point for potential free agents, but it’s certainly not going to prevent the team from moving in a different direction if things don’t improve. 

No, it wouldn't prevent them, but unless the bottom completely falls out, I wouldn't see them getting rid of him regardless.  I've just never seen a legitimate reason on why they should.  He may not yet be Bud Grant or even Denny, but he ain't Mike Tice or Leslie Frazier either.  He's solidly in Jerry Burns territory.    

Edited by swede700

While I do think it’s unlikely that Zimmer is let go, if this team misses the playoffs in consecutive seasons, after making an “all in” type move at QB, then I think it’s very realistic to think that ownership could decide to make a change in the team’s leadership.